Feral Mom Is Not Making Her Kittens Go To The Bathroom

moxandkhal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kittens will be four weeks old on Monday. I wasn't able to go near them until they started wobbling around a little over a week ago and I noticed all of their bellies were tight and bloated so I started stimulating them and they all peed SO MUCH. Feral mom cat would just tense up and glare at me when I was around so I was just hoping/assuming she was doing the mom thing when I left her alone. I've been stimulating them multiple times a day now for about a week but I have not had any of them poop for me even with belly massages and a warm cloth. I've seen tips about diluting or adding oil to their food but the mom cat is feeding them so I can't really go that route. Is a very small about of miralax safe or are there pet safe enemas available? Any advice would be appreciated.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can shave a tiny, kitten-sized piece from a glycerin suppository and insert it. A few minutes later, with stimulation, the kitten(s) should be able to poop.

You can also give the kittens a few drops apiece of infant simethicone with a dropper. This will relieve gas.

Once they begin eating soft, pate-style wet food, you can add 2-3 drops of olive oil to the food.

Thanks for caring for them!

Are they living inside or outside with mom?

Will you be able to get mom spayed so she will not continue to breed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moxandkhal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much.

Yes, mom cat will definitely be spayed before release. They're all safe and living in a pet pen in my spare room. I'm a second time kitten foster but the first batch had no mom and was a breeze. Having a feral mom cat has been more stressful than just bottle feeding hahah.

If I'm wrong and mom is making them poop will giving them a suppository harm them or just give them the poops? At this point I'd rather have a poopsplosion just so I know everything working ok for them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Either nothing will happen, or there might be a little runny poop. Glycerin is harmless.

Excellent they are inside and that mom will get spayed! :)