Feral mom cat and kittens

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mom is not going to tame herself inside the cage. She has no idea what your intentions are. She is protective of her babies, as she should be at this stage.

When you take the kittens out, mom needs to be allowed out too. She will go back inside the cage if her kittens are in there. However, they need to be in a room where the door to the cage can be left open, yet the door to the room can be closed. Mom will not get tame without being given an opportunity to explore on her own terms and to trust you.

It takes time. A diffuser will help. Mom needs to learn to trust you in her own time. As she sees you interact with her kittens, she may relax more. The kittens are just about to the age where they need to explore beyond the cage too.

Please re-read the advice I've given here and earlier in the thread. She is hissing out of fear. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

askbecki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I will start letting her out. She doesn't seem to care for her babies. It is weird. She would rather leave them and get away then protect them. I never see her caring for them. She feeds them but doesn't seem happy about it. Lol

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Most cats take breaks from their kittens and leave the nest to eat and visit around the home. In the wild, cats leave their kittens for hours while they seek food.

Let us know how she is after she has a chance to explore the room outside the cage. She needs to stay in the room though.