Feral mom and 2 nests

Hellocatpeople

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,
We were trying to trap a pregnant feral to get her fixed, but were too late and she had the kittens under our house 8/11. We’ve been monitoring mama and kittens with a wireless camera. Last night a raccoon showed up and gave her a scare. This morning she moved 3 of 5 kittens to a new location (only about 20ft away between my neighbor and my fences). She’s didn’t abandon anyone- she’s going back and forth between both places and nursing all 5 babies. We’re worried about her leaving either group alone overnight. Especially since her new spot is on a bit of a wildlife highway - skunks, possums and raccoons all use it to travel between yards. Should we move any of the babies, or let mom decide what’s best?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would get a large crate and put all 5 babies inside, along with food for mom. The crate should be large enough for mom to stretch out for nursing. If at all possible, once mom is inside, perhaps you can rig it to close the door, then bring everyone inside for safety.

The kittens ideally should all be together with mom for warmth and safety.

Another idea is a box in which you cut 2 flaps, one in the front and one in the back. Put the babies inside, and mom enters through a flap, but has a back flap as an emergency escape route. She may feel more secure this way.

If you’re feeding mom, the raccoon probably smells the food and wants it. Put mom’s food inside the box and put decoy food somewhere else for the wildlife for now. The raccoon probably smelled food and wanted it. There should also be a water bowl accessible somewhere also.

Your end goal should be to get mom and babies to safety in your home, but you can try these ideas for a few days to see what she’s comfortable with. I know that ferals can be difficult.

You get the idea, so see what works, but I agree that babies in 2 places is not good.

Let us know what works out, and thank you for being concerned and trying to help!

Hellocatpeople Hellocatpeople

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hellocatpeople

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the reply. My neighbor helped me get the kittens from between the fences and I put them in a second box and then brought that one to mom and she took the kittens back. Thank goodness because the racoon came out about 20 mins later and was sniffing around where the babies had been.

I only feed her in the daytime away from the nest, so I think the raccoon was more poking around underneath the house for something else.

She is quite skittish and has been difficult to trap, though I haven’t tried the method of putting the kittens in crate, so I will get the supplies and try that method out. It’s so hard with them being out there unprotected from wildlife, I haven’t slept a full night since they were born. It would be ideal to get them inside and safe.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I totally understand! Thanks to you and your neighbor for putting them all back together for now.

I hope you can get them all to safety soon. Do keep us posted as I worry along with you!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for helping this family. My avatar and her sister, now indoor only pets, were born in a feral litter under a house on my street where a workman had left a window well uncovered. Try your hardest to get the whole litter with mom inside as soon as you can. This only get more complicated as time goes on and harder on you as you continue to worry about them.

Hellocatpeople

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update here, the kittens turned 4 weeks old today. We were unable to trap mom. She’s very wary and wouldn’t go for any configurations. But we couldn’t bear to have the kittens outside anymore, so we weighed the pros and cons and brought them in. I know it would be better to be with mom for a few more weeks, but if we can’t get her in, at least they’re getting to an age where they can start weaning. 3 of them are already eating kitten food off of a plate, and I’m feeding kmr kitten formula to everyone with a bottle. I hope I’m doing the right thing 😭

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens look great!

Try a drop trap like a Have-a-Heart trap that will close behind mom when she goes in to eat. Line the bottom with cardboard or newspaper and put smelly sardines, tuna, or Kentucky Fried Chicken in it.

Once she’s trapped, cover all but one end with a towel. You can buy these traps online, or rent them for a refundable fee from local shelters. Mom still needs spaying or the cycle will repeat.

Hellocatpeople Hellocatpeople

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This was the best possible decision for the kittens and their mom. You're protecting the kittens from the racoon -- Mom wants this. I believe she separated the kittens in the hopes of saving some from the racoon. Without the kittens to protect, mom will be more able to escape the racoon herself. Fingers crossed that you get her inside too.

Hellocatpeople

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Amazingly, a volunteer from one of the local feral orgs came out today with a drop trap and we got her! There was a last min cancellation so mom is getting spayed in the morning. I’m so relieved!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, hallelujah! That’s wonderful. Now, can mom be returned to her kittens for a few weeks after her spay? Especially since they are only 4 weeks old. She can still nurse a bit and teach kitten manners to her brood. This would be ideal, especially since most feral moms calm down considerably after a spay.

Please keep us posted. I had a feeling she could be trapped. She needs to be back with her kittens though, if at all possible. It does them both good.

Hellocatpeople

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I’m so glad. We just needed the right kind of trap and a hungry mama :) We set up a 42” dog crate in the garage and will transfer the kitten’s along with their smaller crate into that for a few weeks. I’m exhausted from bottle feeding 5 babies, so looking forward to that 😹

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’ll bet you are! Do weigh them daily to make sure mom is producing well and they continue to gain. If any are not, supplement a bit until they catch up. So happy they will be with their mom again now!

Hellocatpeople

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi again! Mom and the kittens have been together in dog crate for about 1 week. Mom is getting pretty restless and more hissy as the days go on. Babies are eating wet food 4x per day and gaining weight well! Mom is still nursing a little bit. On Thursday the babies will be 6 weeks. Is that an okay time to release mom?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, mom is spayed so she can be released. It’s early for the babies, but since they are eating wet food, they should be okay if she does not return.

Will you be getting the kittens spayed and neutered and adopted? Are they still in the garage?

Hellocatpeople

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are all in the garage together in a 42” crate. I take babies out multiple times per day to feed and play/socialize. The feral org let us borrow a big playpen, so I give mom breaks by letting them play in there, too. They are going to help us do all of the spay/ neuter & shots once they are 2lbs. And hopefully 3 will go to a foster home next week. 5 have been a handful! A cute handful, but a lot nonetheless. I don’t think mom will come back to the garage once I release her- so trying to balance getting the most milk benefits vs her sanity. Here are some updated pics :)

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you think mom can make it to Thursday? I know how ferals can get when restrained / caged too long. Would a bit of freedom for her in the garage work in the meantime?

Babies are adorable!

Hellocatpeople

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think she can make it to Thursday- we have a camera in there and the only time she gets aggressive is when I first enter the room. As soon as she gets food she settles down. Soon enough, mama! My sense is that if I let her have more freedom in the garage she’d try to bolt when I open the door. I get it though, I can’t imagine it’s fun being cooped up when she’s used to being free!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww, is she not re-homable? I always worry about ferals who might become pets? You’re doing a great job! Poor mama. At least she is fixed now.

Last edited: