Feral Missing In Ny Bomb Cyclone

Springferals

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I’m new here and pretty much new to saving ferals. Last winter I started feeding two black ferals in a neighborhood where cats are not welcomed. I did the TNR process. I bought them a wooden house with heading pads inside. They slept there together every night. They were waiting for breakfast every morning and came back for supper and a warm good night sleep. Now that we had below zero degrees and extreme wind and snow for the past few days they disappeared. The wind blew the snow onto our door and porch so i understand they ran away. One returned two days ago and seddled back but he is looking for his friend and so do I. The last time i saw him was Wednesday night and today is monday night.
Is it possible that he is still alive?
What should i do so they wont run away in very windy, snowy, cold weather? Should i place the shelter under the porch?
I also had a third black cat (not eartipped, visiting us a week before the bomb cyclone. We named her Berry. The missing cat Chubby got into a fight with her. Berry cries after eating looking away from my house - sounds like calling). So I was wondering if Berry took over the territory and thats why Chubby is missing? Can someone who knows cat better than me help me figure this out and help me how much to find or get Chubby back if he is still alive? Can a feral cat freeze to death? How cold and how long should the cold last for that?

Thank you!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Has anything new happened? Being cats it's hard to say but possibly the missing cat found a place to ride out the storm.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was going to also comment that in a storm like this it's hard to say how the interaction between the cats at that point will effect or predict their future behavior. I think I'd leave the shelter where it is, and due to the incredible challenge of finding a cat that might or might not want to be found, I'd wait and keep my fingers crossed for the best. You're doing so much for them, I don't think there's too much more you can do short of taking them indoors. Thank you for what you've done and are doing for them!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hang in there. Feral cats are resilient and resourceful. Chubby may be out there, on the way back home. Keep his routines going, he'll be looking for them...shelter, food, bed, in the place where they were. It was brutal, that weather, so I can't guarantee he made it through, but it is certainly possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Springferals

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for taking the time and encouraging me. Yes!! Last night Chubby came back. Missing some fur behind one ear but they were rubbing eachother non stop. You could see how happy the cats were to see each other again. They slept here again cuddled inside the heated house. He was gone for 6 days. I wonder where he was. He was never away for so long. He is more loyal usually than Pepper. But we feel so relieved that he is alive.

No I just have to figure out and watch if they will accept the third and new black cat as a colony member.

Thank you again. I’m so glad I found this forum. Your answers really show people care here.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know how many times I've wondered and wished they could talk and tell us what happened.....in any case I'm so glad to hear your good news!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:clapcat::dancingblackcat::purr: WONDERFUL NEWS!

We're glad that you found us! There is not one person here who doesn't love cats, and who doesn't want to help cats and their people in any way that we can. That means we laugh together, cry together, celebrate and mourn together, and put our heads together searching for obscure answers together! You and your ferals are SO welcome. In fact, when you have a moment, go here New Cats on the Block and introduce yourself and your ferals to our community! If you have pictures of them, people WILL want to see them!

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some recent nasty temps, winds and snow for sure. But they are expert at finding safe spots and "weathering the storm". When I was a kid we had a big, indoor/outdoor, unfixed male reappear 3-4 days after a snowstorm with grease on his back....no doubt under a car for the duration. May have been "snowed in" under, unable to get out for those days. Aside from being filthy...thankfully he was ok.

Recently, before taking him in...my Bug routinely disappeared in snow, I think he was holed up in a neighbors dilapidated garage. They are resilient, smart and will become quite resourceful...survival instinct.

S Springferals you are in NY? Whereabouts?