Feral kitty with (assumed) tapeworms — would love advice

sceptr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi kitty experts!

We feed a single feral kitty, a male assumed to be around 3-4 years old. He was neutered, vetted, and eartipped around 1.5 years ago. He’s gotten much friendlier over time, but he still won’t let us touch him.

I believe he has tapeworms (I recently started seeing what I think are the telltale segments near his tail) and am hoping for tips on how to handle. I see the Bayer tablet product available over the counter, but I also see a lot of complaints that kitties turn up their noses at food it’s mixed into. (We’ve had success breaking up Capstar pills and mixing into particularly tasty food.) I also see some complaints about kitties foaming at the mouth and having other ill effects from it — is that something you’ve ever had issues with?

I tried calling our regular vet’s office, but they say they’re unable to help unless we bring him into the office. Calling around to other vets, I’m getting a lot of the same even when I explain why I can’t bring him in. We’ve considered having a mobile vet come, but I’m not sure we could guarantee they’d actually be able to lay eyes on the cat (though he does reliably turn up at mealtimes).

I know there’s a topical treatment, but that’s not an option for us yet since he won’t let us touch him — though I am hopeful it could be an option for the future, fingers crossed!

In the meantime, have you had success (or any problems) with the Bayer over the counter med?

I don’t know his weight (though would guess on the heavier side since he’s a pretty big guy) — would underdosing or giving too high a dose be a big problem with this med?

If I’m wrong that it’s tapeworms, would it have any negative effect to treat a cat who doesn’t actually need the treatment?

Any other over the counter recommendations, or recommendations for finding vets who will take pity on a feral cat and prescribe for them without having to see them in person?

We gave him a Capstar today, since I know fleas are a big part of the tapeworm problem — though I understand that Capstar is a bit like spitting into the wind. (I hope to be able to give him a longer-acting topical, eventually.)

To deal with the interrelated issue of fleas, has anyone tried beneficial nematodes? And have you found that diatomaceous earth really makes much of a difference?

Apologies for the zillion questions, but in general I would be thrilled to hear any advice you might have. Thank you!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi kitty experts!

We feed a single feral kitty, a male assumed to be around 3-4 years old. He was neutered, vetted, and eartipped around 1.5 years ago. He’s gotten much friendlier over time, but he still won’t let us touch him.

I believe he has tapeworms (I recently started seeing what I think are the telltale segments near his tail) and am hoping for tips on how to handle. I see the Bayer tablet product available over the counter, but I also see a lot of complaints that kitties turn up their noses at food it’s mixed into. (We’ve had success breaking up Capstar pills and mixing into particularly tasty food.) I also see some complaints about kitties foaming at the mouth and having other ill effects from it — is that something you’ve ever had issues with?

I tried calling our regular vet’s office, but they say they’re unable to help unless we bring him into the office. Calling around to other vets, I’m getting a lot of the same even when I explain why I can’t bring him in. We’ve considered having a mobile vet come, but I’m not sure we could guarantee they’d actually be able to lay eyes on the cat (though he does reliably turn up at mealtimes).

I know there’s a topical treatment, but that’s not an option for us yet since he won’t let us touch him — though I am hopeful it could be an option for the future, fingers crossed!

In the meantime, have you had success (or any problems) with the Bayer over the counter med?

I don’t know his weight (though would guess on the heavier side since he’s a pretty big guy) — would underdosing or giving too high a dose be a big problem with this med?

If I’m wrong that it’s tapeworms, would it have any negative effect to treat a cat who doesn’t actually need the treatment?

Any other over the counter recommendations, or recommendations for finding vets who will take pity on a feral cat and prescribe for them without having to see them in person?

We gave him a Capstar today, since I know fleas are a big part of the tapeworm problem — though I understand that Capstar is a bit like spitting into the wind. (I hope to be able to give him a longer-acting topical, eventually.)

To deal with the interrelated issue of fleas, has anyone tried beneficial nematodes? And have you found that diatomaceous earth really makes much of a difference?

Apologies for the zillion questions, but in general I would be thrilled to hear any advice you might have. Thank you!
Hello S sceptr and fams, and thanks so much for putting your caring into action for this sweet guy who I hope and pray will "come in from the cold" and allow himself to be given the very best care by you very soon!
I've used tapeworm tabs with no ill effect. I have given them by themselves, not mixed into food. Personally, I would not use Capstar (just a personal decision. Others' may be different, I understand). Yes, overdosing of ANY drug or "medication" is not recommended and can have bad results. Underdosing may not do what it is supposed to do. I would take pix if possible and show them to/discuss them with a vet.
Some important resources for anyone caring for free-roaming cats include Alley Cat Allies' website, alleycat.org, as well as Best Friends Animal Society's, bestfriends.org, and in case of needing to connect with rescues, animalrescuedirectory.net. You can also use your computer's search engine to input your questions and bring up links. Here on TCS, the "CARING FOR STRAYS AND FERALS" topic may yield yet more helpful information.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Desperately need help, flea issues
This is a thread about diatomaceous earth. Pros and cons. Do not put it on the cat and watch that it is not inhaled, if you do use it. It is one of those things that is debated and those who found it useful are believers and those who did not, are not.

Is there any chance down the road that you could try to apply something to his neck without touching him? I have done that to a few ferals while they ate. Again, no guarantees.

Is there a local cat rescue nearby? Since you are not asking them to take the cat, but only for advice (make that clear right away so their defenses lower), you might ask if there is a local vet who would work with you, possibly via a picture of the worms.

I have never personally used the Bayer product, but using a tape worm med correctly on a cat with no worms should not be a problem.

Thank you for taking care of this cat!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have no idea if this would be even feasible, but if this kitty has a particular place he poops, you could track/monitor him and pick up his 'debris' behind him to take to a vet for analysis. You would just have to call around and find someone who would take the 'sample' to look for parasites. Many vets will do that, but the key is finding one who has not seen this cat.

If he is really good around you, you could set up a temporary 'litter box' with whatever soil/leaves/etc. he normally uses and see if he might use it - so, you could get a fresher, more specific sample. Who knows, if he uses it, you could take advantage of that to do routine checks on his stool!! I believe that even stool with some soil/etc. on it can be tested. The only thing you might have to do is store it in the fridge if you can't take it right away to a vet/clinic.

Droncit is another brand for tapeworms, and Drontal works for not only tapeworms, but roundworms and hookworms. You could look these up too, to see about complaints. Any of these tablet/pill products could be crushed and placed in some 'juice' from canned tuna in water, or the tuna itself, to help ensure he actually ingests it all.