feral kittens, need help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tarralb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A vet tech came over last night and gave the kitties their shots, dewormer, and flea treatment. She could not get blood to test for fiv/felv b/c even while scruffing them, they were wrapping themselves around her arm. I will have to take them to get partially sedated and get it done. My question is this. Since they are in a cage outside my kitchen door away from my 3 cats, can I move them to the bathroom taking the same precautions (separate food and water dishes, litter box, litter box scooper, etc. I will  have a babygate outside the bathroom door to prevent my cats from trying to run in there when I open the door. Do you all think that would be ok before they get tested? I just can't socialize them in a cage and the next date I can take them in to the clinic to get tested is Feb. 23.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As long as they do not interact with your other cats, it should be OK.  Even if your cats get into the bathroom, they won't be interacting long enough to make a big difference.

tarralb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok. Great. I have no plans to every allow them to interact since I don't have the space to allow 5 cats to wander my apartment, For now,. I just want them in the bathroom to work with them and then the plan is for someone else to take them for fostering :) I am hoping that they will get comfortable enough with me sitting on the floor to learn to come out and walk around, play, and eat.

tarralb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I did read that. I am limited to how much time I can spend with them now in the stairwell so I am excited to move them to the bathroom and sit with them and talk, read, interact, etc. I believe they will come around. I was also told they are more like 3-4 months old so that helps, too.

tarralb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Moved the kittens to the bathroom. They squeezed themselves behind the radiator. I took the lid off the litter box b/c they were hiding in there. They move around when we aren't in there. Caught one on the windowsill and woke up to things knocked off the sink.

Both came out to eat. They get very scared when the shower turns on or we go in to brush our teeth or go to the bathroom which is understandable. I am hoping being in here will help them get used to all the sounds of us and make them more tame.

The one who always hisses at me licks baby food off my finger now. I touched her for the first time and she just looked at me like I'm crazy. Even though she hisses, I don't think she is aggressive. The vet tech had both kittens scruffed when she tried to do the fiv/felv test and neither tried to bite her- they just hissed a lot. The tame one lets me pet her even though it makes her nervous and I picked her up a little off the floor several times because she was trying to take the other one's food and she never once hissed or tried to bite.

I strongly feel like these girls are scared more than "mean." I watched youtube clips on a guy socializing 3 and 4 month old kittens and he started with baby food on his finger and then touching them when they ate canned food. Once they were ok with this, he picked them off a little off the ground while they ate baby food off his finger. He then picked them up all the way off the ground while they ate the baby food. I am working on all these steps now but since moving them I am sure I will have a little setback since they are nervous of their new environment.

Nothing excites me more than the idea of them coming around and being at the point where they are adoptable- even if they aren't cats someone can hold or that will sit on your lap. If they ever walk up to me with tail up, purr, or rub against me, I will seriously be the happiest girl alive.

I am still open to ANY ideas anyone has in addition to what I am doing b/c this is the first time I ever tried socializing feral kittens. Thanks for all your help!

Last edited:

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are pretty much doing everything right.  Stay the course, let them get used to the new digs (and new sights and sounds).  Don't rush them and it may even be better to ignore them for a day or two.  Spend time with them but let them come to you.

Thanks!