Feral kittens - diarrhea

dianee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone, I live in a home park and the owners were against TNR until this situation got so out of control with kittens everywhere. So I volunteered to foster some kittens -- but ended up with 8! No one else here will foster some of them to help out so here I am. 8 kittens from 3 different litters. The kittens tamed up SO WELL! 3 larger kittens are in one crate and the smaller kittens are in another. I noticed gooey messy poo and a LOT of loose stool in both. After a time, I started letting the kittens out to run around (closing bedroom doors) and they were doing very well using the litter boxes. But then one kitten or two started doing the gooey poop on the carpeting by the wall. I cleaned it up with Nature's Miracle but all the kittens still went to smell it. And another poop kept appearing nearby so I put down wee wee pads -- which they were now also peeing on. I kept replacing the pads as they did that and then yesterday one started doing it in the dining room on the carpeting! The Rescue I'm working with told me they de-worm all feral kittens and suggested I do that and told me where to get the stuff for that. I think it's Panacur. She said once a day for 5 days. It's been 2 days already and that drug also causes diarrhea and I noticed just yellow water coming out of one kitten. So the Rescue suggested I keep the kittens kenneled until this is over. But there is also no guarantee that's the problem. I'm feed them the large cats on Wellness grain-free chicken and turkey -- I notice the one with herring makes them worse for some reason. What kind of foods for kittens could help with this kind of abdominal gas, loose stool, etc? It could be the parasites, but what if its the food? Anyone else go through something like this?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They will eventually get used to the food and hopefully, diarrhea will stop. Stick with one brand and one flavor. Spray natures miracle on all spots they go on and let it dry naturally, maybe spray more than once. Kittens take a while before they consistently use a box, some times they can't make it to the box on time! Confining them to a smaller room with the box usually trains them. Make sure they are getting NO cow's milk products, those are notorious for diarrhea, only goat's milk or kitten replacement milk. Make sure the deworming product is appropriately dosed for their size, age, and weight. The usual dose is 100mg per 2.2lbs, in granules. The sachet is in GRAMS, so make sure you aren't giving too much. It also comes in liquid and paste. The usual length of time is for 3 days. You might want to call and make sure of the amount and duration. I would be feeding them kitten food too, it is higher in what they need. Bless you, for taking this on, please keep in touch and come back for any help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dianee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for all your help --- It is VERY appreciated. The Rescue woman gave me the chart of the correct dosages according to the weight of the kittens so I'm going by that since 3 kittens are 9 weeks old, 2 kittens are 8 weeks old, and the 3 smallest black kittens maybe only 6 to 8 weeks old. This problem started with the 3 youngest and I think the park mgt here trapped them too young because their eyes hadn't changed yet -- and only changed in the last week. Such a difference in sizes so their dosage is a bit different.
If I may, may I ask you one more question? Since I put the wee wee pads down...and actually some cardboard, one or two kittens is also peeing on them, and I am wondering if me putting down wee pads is telling them that is a new 'dump' spot. Should I remove those wee wee pads and just keep spraying with the Nature's Miracle? The kittens actually all were doing so well going back in their open crates to use the litter boxes for almost a week. And I put two more litter boxes just outside the crates which they used as well. And then suddenly --- I noticed a kitten with a messy butt and saw the sticky poo on the carpet. Since that day, it's been an issue. I do think they might have the parasites since I saw one kitten drag his butt on the ground and some keep licking their butts. And they have bloated bellies. I also know that cats abandon litter boxes sometimes when they have urination pain or diarrhea because they associate that with the litter box and figure it would be better if they tried doing their business outside the box so that is why I am guessing these kittens started doing it. I hope this can get resolved at the end of this de-worming which should be Monday as the Rescue told me its supposed to be 5 days -- today is Day 3. They seem to be doing well on it -- except for more diarrhea being a side effect. :(

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would keep them down for now, until the diarrhea resolves. Then remove them one by one. Spray right under the pad, it may work better if it is wet longer. Hopefully the kitten that messed just couldnt make it to the box in time. You might set some cardboard flats around with litter in them so they have a few to chose from. Then remove them one by one.