feral kittens,...can they be tamed/socialized at nearly 8 weeks old

annabell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I really have no suggestions for taming the kitten, but 3 years ago we adopted a beautiful Russian Blue kitten, about 5 weeks old, that we found under our poach.  There were no mama or other kittens, but we have many feral cats that roam our mobile home community and one of them is a Russian Blue that appeared to have recently had kittens, so we suspect she was the mother who apparently abandoned her baby.  We were told by our vet that a feral cat was always a feral cat, and to be prepared for most any kind of behavior.  Well, he was right!!  She is the most loving [at her own time] mean, playful, standoffish  - well, I guess you can get the picture.  My friend and I are 81 & 82 and think she is the best thing that ever happened, even with her sudden mood changes!  She keeps us entertained with the things she does - the funny and sometimes very weird things!  We have never regretted keeping her and wouldn't take a million for her.  BUT be prepared for anything!  She had never been outside except for trips to the vet, has a diet if dry food with meat as the first ingredient, grass sprouts we raise so they will be fresh and tender, and two other brand of dry food , also with meat as the first ingredient, that she only gets as treats.  One of them she only gets when we leave the house and will be gone all day, the other she gets when we play her best game which we call 'mouse hunt'.  We throw them in different directions in the room, and she chases - hunts them - and pounces!  sometimes she even catches them in the air.  She is healthy, active, and seems happy with her life.  So enjoy your feral, four legged, furry child that doesn't talk too plainly, but as all mother's do, you will soon know what most of the 'words' mean!

yo hon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
  please give me some insight or anything helpful on taming feral kittens to trust me.
 I found a litter of 4 newborn kittens,..the mom is a feral I was feeding her for almost a yr.
 I found her litter,....touched & handled them for about 2 weeks,...then the mother moved them & I could'nt find them anywhere.
 well after about 3 weeks I gave up & thought they were GONE period.   well,....just 2 days ago I found them,...or at least 2 of the babys in my garage.  Of course they run & hide & hiss if you get near them now.  So,...they had human contact in the beginning....then none for 3 weeks,... whats the chances of me taming them to be adoptable kittens?
  & most importantly,...how do I begin?      the most I've done so far is put a small dish of food in there on top of an item of clothing I wore/for my scent purposes.     How do you catch a near 8 week old feral kitten?     I apreciate any input/thanks
 Tracey

You need to get a couple of large dog kennels..or cat kennels. Put a small cat box in the carrier with the cats. You can pet them with a long stick so they get used to touch. Do not stare at them or make eye contact..but blink your eyes very slowly and sleepy looking..move them into a bathroom and just sit in there with them not interacting but read softly from a book and work to touch them from that point

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Have faith and follow the advice offered. Because you handled them previously you may be surprised.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course, at this point, the kittens are just about five years old.  Too bad the OP didn't come back after mid-July of 2012 to let us know how things turned out.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

Of course, at this point, the kittens are just about five years old.  Too bad the OP didn't come back after mid-July of 2012 to let us know how things turned out.

Usually I check. So lets hope they were all well socialized and S/N and living in loving homes.