Feral kittens and cats. Location PA. Need advice ASAP! thx

tinytail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. There is a bunch of kittens and cats around my area, at least 6 kittens and 2 cats, I belive mom and dad. I am feeding them every day, but they are really scared of me, and mom hisses every time i open the door((
My next step is to catch the kittens, I set up a self made trap.
Do you think if I get at once like 3 kittens, mother will come back with others the next day again with remaining kittens, or will she get scared and never come around? I NEED to get them all. I am not sure what to do. some of her kittens come back at like 1 am at night for more food, so I could get them. will she be spooked, upset and scared if these babies do not go back to her???
Later I plan to catch the mom and get her spayed. Please, advice on
Where to get the vaccines done for cheap? Kittens are under 6 weeks I believe. I want to get the Felv/HW/FIV test done as well, so my own cats stay safe, while I Foster these gang. I was looking online, and it seems like it will be around 67$ per kitten including the test and vaccines. Is there a place anywhere in PA, PHILA area, Lanc county, Cherster county whereever, where I can do it cheaper.
Also, please advice a GOOD and safe De-wormer, that I can get from PetsMart or Petco maybe. I would like to safe a $ and to de-worm by myself. which brand to get and how many bottles are needed for 5 kittens?
Any ideas where I can get them fixed at this age for free or really cheap.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Tinytail
!! Thank you for trying to save those kittens. You have taken on quite a challenge here and I say that because you will also (if you can
) have to try to trap mom and dad. Otherwise you will have many more kittens throughout the summer and it is possible mom is already pregnant
. She will stick around near the food source. Even though mom hisses at you, she is deeply appreciative of your daily food and now relies on that. For the adults, I would google local TNR programs in your area and most will loan you a Havahart trap. I have had the same issue in my neighborhood and have TNRd about eight adults since December and so far no more kittens.

Mom WILL come back to eat even if you start to trap some of her kittens.
Do not worry about that. I have had this experience a few times over the years and she ALWAYS comes back to eat to her daily food source. If you think the kittens are much younger than six weeks, wait about a week to start trapping. If they are eating the food you are putting out, then by all means I would start trapping them today. The sooner the better and the younger they are the easier they will be to socialize. Be prepared for lots of hisses/spits in the first couple of days. They will very quickly learn you are not going to eat them
and are there as their new surrogate mother

I would not advise you to get ANY flea/deworming products over-the-counter, could be fatal to give young kittens any of those products. Contact a TNR program, shelter, foster networks in your area. I am hoping you will get assistance with ALL costs involving spay/neuter, shots, wormings, etc. from one of those organizations especially if you offer to foster them yourself. Most will be willing to help good-hearted people such as yourself in the community.

We are here to help and offer you support and suggestions, I wish you so much luck. It is very rewarding what you are taking on, saving lives

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tinytail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Feralvr

I would google local TNR programs in your area and most will loan you a Havahart trap.
Thank you for your advice, I called a shelter and they will provide only 1 trap for me to rent. But after watching the videos, I don't feel like using a trap, kitten can get hurt and it is to little to catch all of them. I have a huge dog crate, I put it in my yard, I attached strings to the door, It is now in my yard, cats keep on coming there, eating, drinking, like it is a cafe)) When they all get in, I will pull the door from my window and close the cage manually. Hopefully today is the day when I will get some of them.

I found one TNR programme, they state in the rules, that the spay clinic is free, which is great, but is says, it is for cats that need to be returned back...mmm I don't feel like returning none of them back, I want to keep 1 or 2, I kinda like mom, I already gave her a name Sushi, I think she is adoptable. Not sure if dad is, I am still gaining his trust. Should I say to TNR people that I will release all of them back? Or if I say that I want to adopt them out they will not let me spay the gang for free?

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The dog crate is another way to go as well. I also did that before I owned a trap. Tied a rope to the door and pulled it shut from about twenty feet away. It did work well but was a bit more scary than the havahart trap because when I pulled the rope the crate was dragged too. You have to keep the rope taut and reel it in so the door stays shut till you can latch it. It can work though and much luck with that.

Some of the TNR programs tell people who call asking questions that they have to release the cats back out because otherwise everyone who gets a kitten will get all of those medical expenses done for their kitten for free. So that is what they tell you when you call to deter those people away. Just explain the situation and be honest, they will appreciate that. Tell them you are going to try to tame the kittens and find homes for them and the mom you are going to keep indoors for a bit to see if she will be happy as an indoor cat. If not, you will release her back out. The TNR organization will require the ear tipping to be done. Just ask them if they can do the "V" tip where a v-shaped notch is put in the left ear instead of the straight across cut. If I am releasing back outside, I prefer the straight across ear tip because it is visually easier to see from a distance if that cat has been TNRd. The V notch is harder to see from a distance because the length is still kept in the ear. But if you are keeping these cats as pets then the V notch won't be as drastic looking. Either way, I am sure they will require this. They usually include with the spay/neuter, all shots, deworming, a microchip, ear cleaning, flea product, and sometimes an antibiotic injection. That is why they have to make sure this is truly a feral rescue and not just someone taking advantage of the program. Most orgs. will support and understand you wanting to try to socialize the kittens or even the mother.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just chiming in to say thanks for helping these kittens - and I agree with Feralvr.
Talk to the TNR free spay/neuter program and explain the situation - that you aren't affiliated with a program, but want to foster the kittens to get them adopted out - they're young enough they shouldn't have to be released. Part of all successful TNR efforts is removal of cats/kittens that can be adopted. I expect you'll find they'll support this.

tinytail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone. I was able to find a TNR, not for free, the free ones are far away and spay dates are like August. I better pay and get all the med. treatment ASAP. I also found a place that will help me with med. treatment for kittens for a reasonable pay.
2 kittens are now in my home, please tell me what to do, I have many questions.
They poop in a litter box and then one kitten pooped out of it and peed.

They yell all night and day near the window. Their mom came, so I moved kittens to another room, they still yell!!! what to do. Mom cat looked at me and I think she knows I stole the kittens, so that night she didn't bring them back. How to stop them to yell?

Yesterday kittens were purring for first time and rubbing on me and trying to get under my legs or climb my body, I am guessing they need mothers milk??

Their tommy is very hard and very round! worms?

I also washed them with Dawn, they still have a lot of fleas, will I get them too and my other cats, will they travel through carpet to other rooms? Please, recomment a flea shampoo for me. Should I rewash kittens again today?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How old are the kittens? How many more kittens are there?

Yes, if they have fleas, the fleas will travel - and potentially on you. Call around to garden centers and see if you can find FOOD GRADE diatomaceous earth. Pour a solid line of that along the doorway, it can act as a barrier. Buy flea collars and cut them up and put them in your vacuum cleaner and vacuum daily - make sure to get the edges of the room. Another bath with dawn couldn't hurt, but a flea comb will also probably help quite a bit. Don't use a flea shampoo, please.

They'll need help learning how to use the litter box if they're not proficient. Sop up pee on a paper towel and kind of bury it in the litter box (you are using clay non-clumping litter? Kittens should NOT be using clumping litter. They can eat it - and that could kill them). Any poop just put in the box. They should probably have at least two, and if you can fit them, four small boxes are ideal. Whenever you SEE them use it, praise the heck out of them. Any soiled places on the floor MUST be cleaned with an enzyme cleaner. I think Urine Off is a good one available at Petsmart, though Nature's Miracle will work in a pinch - it just usually takes several applications. The scent of pee anywhere but in the box will encourage them to keep going out of the boxes.

But just keep putting food out for mom and the other babies in the same place and same times so you'll be able to trap them too.

I don't know what can be used for parasite treatment on young kittens. I'd call your vet and ask.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw Hun! You are amazing for helping these cats. You can add a few drops of Pure Anise Extract, from the grocery store, to the dawn detergent mixed with some water. It will kill the fleas. How old do you think they are? You can call the vet and ask for Pyrantel liquid dewormer. Safe for kittens and will work for all parasites. Must be done in two weeks even though they will tell you once is enough, not on my book
I would get that food grade DE that LDG suggested too. Stink Free is what I use for any accidents. Sold at Petsmart too. As LDG said, you must clean the spots with an enzymatic cleaner. Blot up and pour these products directly on the accident spots. Might have to be done a couple of times. Once they start using the box, they will go to it naturally every time. Also, there is a brand of litter called Kitten Attract by Dr. elsey sold at Petsmart too. Will draw the kittens to the litter box. We will help you in any way we can!

tinytail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
LDG and Feralvr thank you for your advice! I am gonna hit Petsmart now and get all those things, I just called a vet and asked for Pyrantel as you recommended, they will give to me tomorrow morning.
Kittens are about 5-6 weeks old, they pooped on my carpet in several spots, they pooped on my bedding, they peed on my mattress. I started putting all thet crap in a litter box, will get 2 more per your advice!

Also, they eat a lot, they eat 15-18 oz of canned food per day. is it even normal? Or is it because they have worms? Can I give them cottage cheese for calcium?

They poop and pee like 6-7 times a day, black and white one has diarrhea. And the problem is when he tries to use litter box, he steps into his own poo and spreads it all over the carpet. He also drinks a lot, is it because he is dehidrated?, I was reading a lot, and now I am scared if they have Panleukopenia or something else, reading web makes me frick out. I decided to get 3 pack Revolution for my other cats, will it help stop any illness to spread through the fleas.

Also, mother cat and dad cat keep on coming for food, BUT they don't bring the kittens. Do you think she does not trust me anymore, since she heard her kittens in my house...

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is it possible they're bringing the kittens when you can't see?

It's also possible they're still nursing. They likely aren't fully weaned yet.

The diarrhea is probably because of the new diet and likely worms.
And yes - they're little spaz-es at this age.
Their mom would be cleaning them - and you need to fill that role now. You might just want to start going in there already armed with a warm, damp rag to wipe them clean.

You might also want to consider putting down a plastic barrier over the top of the mattress until they're better about using the litter box. As babies, even if they know how to use it, they're not good always good about the signals from their bladders and getting to the box in time.

Do you have money to take them to see the vet? I don't know how much they should be drinking, but if you're feeding them only wet food, I don't think it should be "a lot."

Of course... you might want to use the dewormer and give it a few days. But since you have to stop by the vet to pick it up, I'd ask about this while there.

OH! As to the bedding... when you do the wash, add the enzyme cleaner to the wash like you would bleach.

tinytail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Is it possible they're bringing the kittens when you can't see?

It's also possible they're still nursing. They likely aren't fully weaned yet.
That cat is a one smart cat!!! I just saw Sushi outside eating canned food that I left for her hour ago, the minute I came out she hissed and went away under a bush, I put more food, stayed for like a minute, then went back into the house. she came back right away after I shut the door, ate a liitle and took a good chunk of food in her mouth and went away. Is she gonna eat it somewhere else by herself, cause I annoy her, or is she taking it to her kittens? My guess is she takes food to her kittens in her mouth, cause she stopped trusting me, thanks to mini sushi yelling all day long under the window((( I am shocked, now i get it why they don't come for 3 days now...

What to do???

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there
!!!! First, that is WAY too much canned food for those little kittens. When you go to the vet ask them to give you a small bag of Hill's W/D dry food and a couple of Hill's W/D canned. Give each kitten only about 1 oz. of that wet food three times a day. Leave the dry out all day long for them to munch on. This is only until the stools firm up and believe me the W/D will firm them up quickly once they are wormed. It is safe to give small kittens until you can get a handle on the diarrhea. I did this with my three kittens for a month when they had the same troubles with worms and diet change. Then when you go back to your other food, mix it gradually. At this point and they are so young, leave dry out all the time and just feed three small wet meals a day. It is very common for kittens to step in their mess
. I know, they just are too uncoordinated about keeping clean yet. As, LDG said, I would put a protective waterproof mattress pad on the bed to protect the mattress, or some sort of plastic liner under the blanket. When you wash the bedding, use bleach and add white vinegar about a cup to the load.

I doubt mom is bringing food in her mouth to her kittens. Bless you for thinking that
. I am sure those remaining kittens are still nursing some. And, I bet they are coming out when mom knows you are sleeping inside. They are extremely savvy and intuitive to your schedule and she knows when to bring the kittens. Those kittens WILL start coming around again very soon, especially when mom says "no more nursing" then they will come for the food.

yes, Sushi knows her kittens are in the house. But, she also knows you are feeding them and caring for them. She knows you are doing the same for her kittens as you are doing for her. You might have to use the trap to try to get the remaining kittens. When I trapped a family of cats/kittens in December, I just left the trap (unset) out for a day first so they could get used to seeing it and sniffing. I am really glad you found a vet to help you with this situation and will be kind to you on charges
. Thinking of you

tinytail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Feralvr!
I was spying today all day from the second floor, and now I know where they live
They moved in to my next door neighbours yard, they live under some old shed and travel to my yard across his and go under the fence, there is a hole there. Today during the day, which is shocking to me, mother went into the dog crate again, ate wet food, took some food in her mouth and yep she brought it to her kittens and dumped in front of them. I am shocked, I never saw a cat that amazing and smart. Now I think my only option is to trap with a professional trap, even though I don't want to use a trap, but they seem too feral, they don't come any close, it is getting to the point, when she comes for food, but knows that crate is danger, so kittens don't get in. I think she senses that I am after her kittens. I will give myself several days to try to catch them and then contact a lady from TNR and ask for traps.

Here are pictures of 2 kittens that I have now)

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OH GOODNES GRACIOUS
Are they ever the cutest, tiniest, little dolls !!!!!! They look to be about five - six weeks old to me
. How sweet. All I can say is... AWWWWWWWWW

Yes, get the trap going. And just leave it out for a day or so Sushi gets used to seeing it. I am TOTALLY surprised to hear about her carrying food to the kittens from the bowl. I guess that would make sense though, because when they hunt and kill, they will bring the prey to the kittens. I just have NEVER heard of a feral mom bringing food from a care-takers feeding station to their young. Will Wonders Ever Cease
. Thanks for telling me that. I wish you the best luck with your caring, kind and generous endeavor to rescue these babies.