Feral Kitten

Waggy01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, can you give me some advise please. I adopted a 2 to 3 month feral kitten, the first night I managed to settle her and was able to smooth her. I put her her box with a blanket and food before I went to bed. She berried herself under her blanket straight away. When I came down in the morning she had gone from the box. I looked everywhere for her but couldn’t find her. At the moment I’m renovating my house, and in upstairs in the bathroom the bath panel is off. Under the bath there is access to under the floor boards. This is the only place she can be. I’m really worried about her not coming out. Can you advise me please? Thanks

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :hithere::welcomesign:

I'm so sorry your kitten has disappeared. I can imagine how worrying this is for you :hugs:

It's pretty common for feral cats to find hiding places like this, especially in the early days. Make sure to check absolutely everywhere for her before panicking. Kittens can squeeze themselves into remarkably small spaces - even behind bookshelves or other big furniture, places you'd be certain they wouldn't fit.

I'm not experienced with working with young feral kittens, but these articles may give you some pointers:-
How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding?
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats
Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside

Once your kitten re-emerges, you'll need to create a safe room for her. This should have a cat tree or scratcher, food, water, a bed or two, somewhere safe for her to hide (but that isn't totally inaccessible to you -an upturned cardboard box with an entrance hole cut in it is ideal), and nothing she can hide behind where you can't get to her.

If this isn't possible, crating her is another option. I crated my semi-feral girl when she first came home, and it worked very well. I used a big dog crate, but you can get multi level cat crates too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Waggy01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I'm so sorry your kitten has disappeared. I can imagine how worrying this is for you :hugs:

It's pretty common for feral cats to find hiding places like this, especially in the early days. Make sure to check absolutely everywhere for her before panicking. Kittens can squeeze themselves into remarkably small spaces - even behind bookshelves or other big furniture, places you'd be certain they wouldn't fit.

I'm not experienced with working with young feral kittens, but these articles may give you some pointers:-

Once your kitten re-emerges, you'll need to create a safe room for her. This should have a cat tree or scratcher, food, water, a bed or two, somewhere safe for her to hide (but that isn't totally inaccessible to you -an upturned cardboard box with an entrance hole cut in it is ideal), and nothing she can hide behind where you can't get to her.

If this isn't possible, crating her is another option. I crated my semi-feral girl when she first came home, and it worked very well. I used a big dog crate, but you can get multi level cat crates too.

Thanks for the advice. I’ve checked everywhere possible, my down stairs is pretty empty due to renovation, only just finished the decorating so my living room is empty. The only place she could have gone down stairs is under the kitchen cupboards. I’ve removed the kick boards and no sign of her. I’m thinking of leaving food in the bathroom and putting some talc or flour on the floor to see foot prints when she comes out to eat. This will confirm she is there.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
How long has she been down there?Can you hear her or see her?

If she has decided to hide there you might have to coax her out with food and a humane trap.

Maybe whoever you adopted the kitten from has a trap you could use? Otherwise call around local shelters and see if any of them have a humane trap they'll lend you.

You'll need to bait the trap with something very tempting. I have good results with KFC, but anything smelly, such as tuna or kippers, would do.

If she doesn't come out after a day or two there is a chance that she is stuck. One of the kittens we had when we were kids did the same disappearing act down the side of the bath. My Dad and Granddad had to pull up all the floorboards in the bathroom.

:cringe:

Hopefully she'll come out of her own accord when she gets hungry.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You have good advice, but I wanted to say that because she is so afraid, she needs to be contained in a cage once you get a hold of her.
This will be good for both of you, it gives her time to get familiar with you and feel she is safe there.
If you leave food for her, be sure it's in a trap so she doesn't just come out to eat and goes right back, which she will.
If she is not going to the trap for the food, then stop leaving any food at all, just a dish of water.
It won't take long and she will be crying out to you for food, which is how you will be able to grab her. Hunger is stronger than her fear, so no worries, she won't starve to death :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Waggy01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great news after taking up laminate flooring then floor boards, I now have her safe and sound. I will get cage now and be patient with her developing in to a domestic cat. Thanks for all your advice

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello W Waggy01 and I’m so glad you found your kitten! We adopted a feral kitten also, and she was absolutely terrified of all humans at first. Now she loves us fiercely, but she doesn’t like guests and still is sketchy about some things. You can do this! Watch this YouTube channel, her videos of helping a feral kitten named Dormouse saved me and helped SO much! There are many wonderful people here also who know lots and love to help if you ever need it!:dancingblackcat:
PS- Love from our former feral Buttercup

Dormouse - YouTube