Feral Kitten?

Tammylynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My husband and i have been tending a colony of feral cats (approximately 12) at work. The past 2 weeks we noticed they were being killed off until only 1 was left; a small cat about 4-5 months old. She was semi tamed, came to us for petting and food.
We managed to get her in a carrier and took her home. She's still purring and letting us pet her, but she's clearly terrified.
Any suggestions to make her more comfortable? She's in a spare room with several toys, a box of dirt for a litter box, food, and a soft bed, and is seperate from my other pets.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You must keep her separate from your other pets until she has been the vet for a complete check up. Has she been spayed yet? I would make a vet appointment very soon.

In the room you are using, be sure that she cannot hide under a bed or get behind very small furniture. Cats can squeeze into very small spaces. Play a radio for her 24/7. I like to use a mix of soft quiet music, with a bit of talk too. This helps to calm them, but also gets them used to other voices. I also like to use Feliway plug ins. They are also calming.

When you visit and want to work on more socializing, be sure to sit on the floor. You don't want to loom over her. For the first few days, you can just sit and pet or brush her. Introduce toys as she becomes more comfortable. Frequent visits for short periods work really well.

After she has been cleared by a vet, you can begin some intros with your other pets. Yet allow her time to adjust to inside living first.

Thank you for caring for this sweet one and all you have done for the feral cats. I am so sorry to hear that something has happened to all of them.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does she have a box or a carrier she can hide in? She will feel safer if she has a hiding spot until she get's used to her new surroundings.