Feral Kitten Won't Eat

Taylor & Cotton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! Over the past three days I have been desperately trying to save a litter of three kittens. I would estimate they are around four weeks old though with their eyes so nasty it's hard to tell.

Temperatures here have risen into the hundreds and the feral mom abandoned them on the top floor of my dad's (very hot) workshop. One was wailing and twitching, already dying. The second was just a sack of bones. The third is quite plump but his eyes were so crusted over, the matting came off as a solid flap of crud, fur, and skin when my mother started wiping it away. They were all found on separate days because the mother hid them in various places. We had no clue how many there were but after a very thorough search, I am confident we have found them all. The first two have passed. I comforted them as best I could, bottle fed them. Gave them warmed towels when they got cold. It just wasn't enough.

The third kitten, however, is alive. We only found him this morning and if it weren't for his issues and the heat, I would have left him for mom-cat. She was at least feeding him. By mid day the heat would have smothered him, it got so bad.

He crawls though he is extremely wobbly. His eyes are blue when you can actually see them through the gook. He has some powerful lungs, wailing until I pick him up. He is also either playful or extremely violent, attacking my fingers, my mother, the nip on the bottle, his blanket, the rag, his teddy. ANYTHING.

He is going to die if I don't get him to a vet which could be two or three days, I am waiting on a response from the vet right now. One eye is bloody, the other is leaking sickly puss. On top of that the poor thing is so stopped up in his nose. I am doing my best. The problem is, he refuses to take a bottle and won't touch a little bowl of kmr nor the little bits of canned kitten food I set out for him. I don't know what to do. He just won't eat. Is there anything else I can do until I get him to the vet? Some way to convince him food is tasty and possibly help his medical issues?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Taylor & Cotton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

This was kitten number one.

Kitten number two.

And kitten number three, my current survivor, at the bottom of the box.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there an emergency vet clinic in your area? Most cities have at least one or two that are open 24/7. Most charge an extra fee for an unscheduled visit, but if you call ahead of time, some will squeeze in an emergency case without the extra fee. But you need to get the kitten to a vet. He will likely need subcutaneous fluids if he has been in the heat and is dehydrated. This is actually a pretty simple process and costs about $25 so it isn't as scary as it sounds. He will also need antibiotics for his eye infection. Young kittens are very fragile, and he will likely pass if you don't get him to a vet as quickly as possible.

If you have a plastic syringe, you can hand feed him the kmr. You would have to be very careful and do it very gently so he doesn't choke, and so that the liquid doesn't shoot too forcibly down his throat and get into his lungs. You would have to administer the fluid very gently and carefully. I have force-fed sick cats a few times and it can be done and it can save their lives. But this is only until you can get the kitten to a vet.

Thanks for your willingness to try to save this little one, and sorry for your loss of the two others. Can you possibly help the mother cat? Can you trap her and get her spayed? I know this is probably overwhelming for you right now, but something to consider. Let us know how it goes.

Taylor & Cotton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is an emergency vet that I really looked into when I found kitten 2. The problem is, I am a bit young. Eighteen. while I am the one putting forth the money for everything the kittens needed as well a see planning to pay the vet bills, I have to have my parents approval of which vet I take him too. They refuse to consider the emergency vet, claiming I will be charged thousands. So I am stuck with trying to get a normal vet.

I'll definitely try syringe feeding him though I am pretty sure he will hate it. Oh well. If it keeps him alive!

Yes, actually. As soon as he has a chance my father plans to set a trap out for momma-cat. She is one of about ten ferals residing in my neighborhood though I see her most often. She'll come eat a bit of my own cat's food when I'm not in sight.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am SO so so sorry about kittens 1 and 2. Many of us here (particularly those of who've bottle fed) know how hard it is to keep them alive....how much work it is....and how heartbreaking it is to lose them. As many of us have (and it never gets easy). As msaimee msaimee said - - tiny kittens are just SO fragile - - even with the best care, under the best conditions, and even WITH a momma, it's often difficult to get them through the "tiny" stage. And they obviously faced such hard conditions (this heat is a killer). So please know that you gave them comfort and they didn't go alone and unloved. That's a lot. :alright:

Unfortunately he very likely needs to be seen by a vet ASAP. This morning first thing if possible. I realize money is an issue (you're definitely not alone in that!!!!!), but I'd be afraid to offer too much advice since, as msaimee msaimee noted - it sounds as though he really needs to be seen by a vet to (among other things) get him some IV fluids asap. IV fluids often work wonders (and vets don't charge much for them) as kittens in particular go into dehydration very quickly.

Emergency vets can indeed be very expensive - and many charge a fairly large fee simply to be seen, which has to be paid before they'll even start an exam. BUT - - some ER vets do work with people . So it's definitely worth taking 10 minutes and calling the ER vets in your area and asking their policies and charges. If none of those will work for you - - -I'd definitely make a few calls to some local rescue organizations (humane societies, etc) - even if they can't take him in, many can offer names of places near you that will either see him at a greatly reduced rate, or will let you set up a payment plan, etc.

And msaimee msaimee is definitely right on the syringe feeding - - I think he'll have to have that asap. I put a few links below about that - - - they're respected sites that offer good advice. But it's definitely a stop-gap till he can be seen by the vet. He's obviously got at least a decent chance to survive - - - with you being SO willing to help him! (and with mama still being around). Hope these help! You can usually find the formula (KMR is perfect) and all that you'll need (syringes, bottles, etc) in so many places - - from grocery stores to pet supply store - even "open all night" places like Walmart and Meijer (if you're in the US).

Raising Orphaned Kittens • Kitten Rescue

How to care for orphaned kittens: Feeding and weaning motherless kittens

FCC Clinic Procedures - Raising Orphan Kittens

Do you think if you get him over this initial critical hump, that mamma cat will take up caring for him again? If you can get him the medical care he needs ASAP and mom's healthy - - perhaps if you can set him up in a cooler area, with a secluded box or carrier - she might come back and feed him and take care of him.

And as far as the momma cat - - YEAH FOR YOU AND YOUR DAD! Getting her spayed is the step that will keep this emotional, etc rollercoaster from happening again - - since it's highly likely she'll have at least one more litter this year still if not fixed as soon as working with this little one is through!

Keep us posted as to how he's hanging in there (and how YOU'RE hanging in there)!!!!!!!!

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know where you live, but the ER vets in my area charge about a hundred dollars for walk-ins. Some regular vets won't charge for a same day appointment if they have a cancelation or can squeeze the cat in, some will charge up to a hundred dollars for a same day visit. Please call around and ask. You could also take the kitten to a Humane Society, they are not allowed to refuse a stray. That way you won't have to pay a vet bill, they have their own vets. The only drawback is that I'm not sure how hard they would try to save the kitten, they may just euthanize him. But if all else fails its better they make that decision than he suffers.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
See if a regular vet will take pity on your age and situation and squeeze you in.

The kitten desperately needs antibiotics for an upper respiratory infection (URI), along with terramycin eye ointment.

In the meantime, continue wiping the eyes with a warm damp cloth. Use saline solution if you have it.

The kitten is so clogged up that it has no appetite, yet needs hydration. Begin syringing clear, unflavored pedialyte into him - 1-2 mLs every hour. You can use a dropper if you have no syringe.

You can make homemade pedialyte with water, a sprinkle of salt, and honey or sugar.

The kitten is scared to death so is fighting you. Wrap him snugly in a towel with only his head out when syringing.

I hope a vet will see you soon! Thank you for your kindness!

T Taylor & Cotton

Taylor & Cotton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all your responses. I really appreciate it. The little kitten did manage to see a vet(thankfully!) They were booked but I explained what was going on and they worked it in immediately.

The vet cleaned out the kitten's eyes, though the bloody one may be a lost cause. I was given gel in a little tube to put on it's eyes three times a day. Kitten also received an antibiotic to take over the next few weeks as well as a dewormer. I forgot the exact weight they said for it but kitten weighed somewhere under a pound and was estimated to be three to four weeks.

Then I found out, kitten is a little lady! Not a male as I had assumed. This is perfectly fine with me.

She has finally accepted her bottle. It took some force but I managed to shove it in her mouth and squeeze a little milk out. From there it wasn't an issue; she'll hold onto it and not let go if I don't make her. She's downed 15ml in one go already. Can you overfeed a kitten with milk? The vet wants me to start trying to wean her once those eyes are open.

While I was at the vet, they made her pee and showed me how to do it. After her dinner I did as they showed but she just wouldn't go. I sat with her on the floor for a while after and she kept shaking so I assumed she was tired and cold and put her back in her cage. She wobbles away from her little bed area, squats on the puppy pad, and goes. I'm not sure whether this is because she figured out how to go on her own already or because of my rubbing so we'll test it out and see. She might go during the night if she's figured it out.

After her belly is full, she's proven to be really inquisitive and playful. While I cleaned the cage, my mother was watching her. She was making little noises and tickling her to keep her occupied. She claims at some point the kitten nipped her lip though I didn't see it. That's what you get for annoying the baby, mom! (Not really. Kitten kept playing with her and wandering around.) Even though she isn't quite steady on her feet she is a fast little furball!

As far as going back to mama? It's unlikely. I have a feeling she'll end up nosing her way into being a house cat. By the time her medicine is done, she'll be weaned and not need mom cat. Even if she doesn't quite fit in as an indoor kitty, I'll still get her spayed and keep her outside with Cotton(my adult cat.)

She has a follow-up appointment August 2nd. From there we'll decide what to do with her. She'll be staying with me though, whether indoor or outdoor. ;)

Here is a picture of the little lady before the vet. When she wakes up again I will try to get an updated picture. Her eyes already look quite a bit better.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for saving her! What a cutie! Could you get a scale so you could start weighing her and make sure that she is gaining every day?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It is almost impossible to overfeed a growing kitten, so give her as much as she wants! Keep her on the bottle for now every 2-4 hours.

So glad the vet squeezed you in!

Hoping both eyes clear up soon too.

It would be safest if she remains a house cat. Kittens should not go outside until they are 9 months old anyway. :)

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's wonderful you were able to get her to a vet. I'm sure she will start to feel much better now that she is eating and getting the medicine she needs. When you say her eye is a lost cause, did the vet say she might, lose her sight in one eye? I hope both eyes fully recover. She is such a little sweetie, I have a feeling she's going to be your little lap cat and have a spoiled, wonderful life :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So glad you were able to get her in to a vet. Please keep us updated on her progress.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So glad the vet got you in too!!! Poor thing - - -her eyes really are (were? are they continuing to get better?) in bad shape! I'm so glad someone as caring as you found her - - - I can't imagine she would have lasted much longer than another day or two like that!!! Most people wouldn't have given her another thought, and even most of those that would have picked her up wouldn't have gone to the lengths you have and are. It's obviously kismet that she's got you!

And I agree whole heartedly with most of the above folks who answered - - -if you can keep her inside after all of this, it will be SO much safer for her (and you- - AND your mom - - because if she goes back out you & your mom will both have to deal with that awful medical condition known as a broken heart! :) And truthfully -- -if she does lose an eye, she'd have a very tough time as an outside kitty. But it sounds like she's already working her way into your hearts.

Hope I don't repeat anything someone's answered - - - I'm headed to bed but wanted to pop on this thread and see how she was doing. And SO glad you were shown by the vet about bottle feeding and stimulating her to help her eliminate!!!

And SO great you've got eye meds now - - the vet probably mentioned this, but be careful not to scrape her eye with the tube (sometimes eye meds come in a metal tube - those you really need to be careful on!). I clean eye med tubes off after using them too (although I usually do it so I'm not transferring from one littermate to another - - which isn't an issue you'll be dealing with). Even if she does lose the eye - you'll be amazed at how well she'll adjust!

You mention talking to the vet about bottle feeding her milk - - -they did tell you (and I may have missed this in al the posts) that you can't use cow's milk, didn't they? Kitties can't digest it. Some people on this forum suggest goats milk - but that's not something easy to get where I live. We all use KMR - - Kitten Milk Replacer. It comes in pre-mixed cans, and in a powder form. The pre-mixed liquid is way more expensive, so it's easier, but it also has a very short shelf life once opened. For a tiny girl like her you'll probably end up tossing large amounts of each can. So we use the powder - you can make small amounts up as you need them (you do need to refrigerate the powder as well once you've opened the can). Those links I posted talk about bottle feeding and things you need to keep track of, etc. And once she's starting to really wean - -- you can mix the KMR in with soft food to make more of a slurry - - or even hard (just let it sit a bit longer). Eventually you can keep decreasing the KMR and she'll be eating her "regular" food alone!

And Sarthur2 Sarthur2 is right - - it's hard to over bottle-feed a kitten (although there is such a thing as getting the KMR into them too quickly - you'll know because she'll have bubbles come out of her nose - that's a sign she's aspirating the formula, which is pretty serious. Again, check out the more trustworthy blogs (I trust the ones I posted the links to - - they're the ones I refer back to often for "refreshers" when we've got a new bottle feed!). Most have have charts on about how much she should eat a day - - but her hunger (and plaintive mews!) can be one of the best ways to know she's hungry! I am attaching a sheet I made that we use so we can weigh babies - - -it also helps remind us of what time our foster last ate, how much, and whether she "did her business" - - since when we bottle feed we get a little zombie-like and can't remember much. :) I know it makes us look like freaks to use something so anal - - but it really does help us. Anyway - a PDF of it's attached so you can use it if you like!

Know that keeping her warm is important too - - kittens chill easily. We keep our tiny bottle feeding ones in a fairly large carrier (with the top off) in a large bathroom - - giving them a kind of "nest." And even though she'll need to be kept warm - never ever use a human heating pad - - they're WAY too hot for kittens, and they can really burn themselves on them. We use heating pads made specifically for animals that stay at a VERY low heat - - right now Amazon has a great sale on them! It's also important to make sure there's space in her little "nest" that she can get off the heating pad entirely to sleep if she feels too hot.

Lastly - - you mentioned she is going some on her own - on puppy pads. Obviously it'd be best if she can be trained to use a litter box vs pads if she's going to be an indoor kitty (and I feel in my bones she's going to! :heartshape:). But she's too tiny to use a regular litter box - so I make my own VERY low-sided litter boxes. I like to use the boxes that Pet Supplies Plus (or any pet store - - or even any store with boxes like these!) that the little Fancy Feast cans come in (they usually have plenty of them - - but I call the one near me and they just save them for me for awhile). They're the perfect size - - big enough for her to get in, turn around and move around, work on "covering" - - and we even cut the sides down just a bit so they're only about 2 inches tall. We also cut a small section (about 6 inches wide on one side) so that there's an even shorter section for her to climb into! I don't line the boxes with anything - as if she hits foil or plastic wrap on the bottom - she'll likely just freak out. Just get enough that you can thrown them out as needed. And we also use clay (not clumping) litter on ones that are this small - - since they often like to play in it, and even stick their noses in it and eat it Yum!), plus they lick it off their feet alot, and the thinking right now in the vet world is that them ingesting much clumping at a tiny age is really not good for them. So we use clay. It's super cheap, and she can be switched to clumping from clay later - -- - it rarely causes problems to switch over once she's old enough.

Hope all continues to go well with her!!!!! Keep us posted on how she does (and how quickly she wins the family over into keeping her as an indoor cat!!!):.

The feeding chart we use is attached. If you can't see it - or have any troubles with it. I can always email it to you if you like it. It's two pages - - -one we use to keep track while they're using bottles, and one at the beginning of weaning.

Keep us posted!!!!

Attachments

Taylor & Cotton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ah, sorry for my lack of updates. I feel like a mother. Everytime she makes the tiniest mew, my heart feels like it stops for just a moment until I know my little lady is alright.

She's starting to open up and really gain a personality. Her eyes have started clearing though I am still worried about the bloody one. I hold it open but I just don't see the eyeball in there. It's either non-existent or hidden by that swelling.

She likes to have half her bottle, play, and then finish the bottle. Playtime consists of romping around my room running into everything, tripping on her own paws and, sadly, attacking my hand instead of her toys. I am trying to put a stop to this. Everytime she bites she goes in the cage. She only does it when playing or searching for her bottle. When we're just cuddling she is a purring motorboat that shakes as if she were in an earthquake. Her walking was very wobbly at first but has gotten much better. Now she just needs to find her balance when running or standing completely still. She seems to have an issue with this, randomly plopping onto her behind. :purr:

I have a little box acting as her litterbox. She likes to poo in it and pee on the pads I've used to line her cage. Not sure how to break this habit. Another thing she does is try peeing on my floor. Everytime she starts squatting I scoop her up and plop her in the box. Sometimes I beat her bladder, sometimes I don't. Like this morning. She decided peeing on my purse was a good idea.

Her bed consists of a towel, two Christmas stockings, a few rags making it like a birds nest, and a little stuffed fish that she couldn't care less about. So far she only wants to play with my hand and hair. Balls, stuffed animals, teething toys, none of it matters. I suppose she is just too young still, I just don't know how else to play with her when all she wants to do is bite and scratch my hand. Or climb my hair (which hurts!) I love my little kitty but she is a handful, especially for someone who hasn't done this before.

Weaning isn't going well either but I know that could take time. She turns her nose up completely to her bowl whether it's just milk, canned food and milk, or dry and milk. It is KMR, by the way. I leave it for her in the cage in a little bowl; hopefully she'll drink it if she gets hungry enough. I go back to work in two days. I want to know that my little lady is getting nourishment.

She has also received her name. May I introduce you all to Molly, affectionately called Molly Golly when we're playing.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is young and has not been well, so weaning and litter training will take time and patience! :)

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad to get the update - - I'd been thinking about you both! And I love the name Molly!

I know none of us are made of money, and that you did just see the vet about a week ago. But I know you mentioned her next appointment wasn't until early August (nearly 3 weeks away). - - -and I don't think I'd wait that long. Especially now that you're dealing with several issues that a vet should hear about - - - obviously not the least of which is the eye. I'd be very worried about it too . And you're not being an overprotective mama! if it makes you feel any better - I heard what I thought was a cat fight last week and immediately in my overactive imagination I figured it was a coyote trying to rip apart one of our babies. So I grabbed a flashlight and hurried outside barefoot and in my pjs - - only to find two of our 'used-to-be-very-feral-now-they're-barely-semi-feral' --yowling and play-smacking at each other over who got the pleasure of eating the semi-dead june bug on the driveway!!!! Not exactly the World War II I had pictured.

Anyway (hope that made you smile a bit! the things we do for our kitties...) -- - the eye would definitely be making me nervous as it doesn't sound as though it's getting any better. Did he give you any time frame on how soon things should improve, and what else to watch for to make sure it's not getting worse? If it would have to be removed (or if it's already gone) - I've dealt with many kitties at the shelters I've worked for that ended up losing an eye (and usually the open area is then just sown shut so there's no worry about infection, etc.). If it's sewn shut, she'll literally just look like she's winking - - and cats adapt SO quickly to things that we humans would spend weeks or months getting used to (although it would mean she can never again be an outside cat). And - although I might feel differently if I could see her - but from what you've described, it'd be worth talking to the vet about a few of the other things that have you worried. As my husband says - sometimes it's worth the cost of a vet visit just to get the reassurance so we can both stop worrying!

As far as the weaning - as both Sarthur2 Sarthur2 and rubysmama rubysmama stated - even though there are general timetables for when kittens should be weaned, they're like people - - -all different, sometimes doing things at their own pace! (and definitely read the articles posted - - they're helpful!) So she may just need a little more time. She's still very young - - -and it sounds like still partially on the bottle. Some kittens do really fight "losing the bottle" - - but over the years I've learned that when they're ready, they're ready. :) You're doing what you can. Have you tried Royal Canin "Babycat" (I think it's now called "Royal Canin Mother & Babycat")? It's a dry food (and not cheap) but I love using it to wean. The pieces are tiny (so very easy for small kittens to get their mouths around) and they can be rehydrated with a little warm water (or warm KMR) to help ease them into eating a more "adult food." And the tiny hard pieces are made a little differently - - although they're hard, they break apart much more easily than most hard foods, again making them a little easier for tiny mouths. Royal Canin also make a "Mother & Babycat Canned" which is even easier to eat than a "normal" wet canned food - - it's whipped - - kind of like a mousse, so it really is easy to add a bit of KMR or warm water as it whips up together easily. Just a thought - -again, not cheap, but we've had good luck with both products.

Lastly - two quick things. As far as the nibbling on your hair and your hands - - -make sure you don't offer either as a plaything (I know it's hard not to - they're so darn cute when they're little!)...but when they don't have a sibling to teach them what to bite and what not to, it's up to you, surrogate mama! :) Make sure to never wrestle with her with your hands - - and it'll make a big difference (if only I could teach my husband that!).

And lastly - it is hard to tell without seeing her - - but is her wobbliness just because she's small & young (that typical adorable kitten wobble!)...or is it possible she's got a light case of Cerebellar Hypoplasia? It's far more likely that she's just growing into her body, learning how to walk and run as all kittens do. But we have a cat with light CH and her movement is alot like you described (BUT she's full-grown, so we knew it wasn't just the "learn to walk wobbles!"). A vet would know immediately. And don't let my mention of that scare you - - - even if that's what it is (and it probably isn't) -- - she would never get worse, and it doesn't hurt her. But it might be worth asking the vet next time you get in.

The eye is far more worrying. Keep us updated on how she's doing!!!!!