Feral kitten found in drainpipe

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have used straws, those colorful meant for kids, when really young mine were afraid of hands, fingers seemed to be like claws to them, but especially bright green straws were something that interested them enough to come and play, also they could chew them and they liked a lot from that. Even today I did play one of mine with straw even he is ok with hands, it is just something he remembers being nice thing and kind of excepts to happen every now and then.

Sounds that straws make when turning or pulling that end where is that bit which allows end to tilt (don't know english word for it) that sound seems to be something they like and when they hear it is no avoiding of playtime then.
That's a really good idea, JTbo.  Thanks!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a really good idea, JTbo.  Thanks!
Not mine though, can't remember if it was Feralvr in here whom suggested it to me years ago, but it is really good idea worth sharing and worked really well with mine :)

I did put straws to cardboard castles too later, just punch a hole and stick it there, makes great chewing station, some of mine alternated with cheek rubbing and chewing, was quite funny to watch as they were completely focused to their actions like when rolling on cat nip, so I guess they did like from that :D

rachelinaz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Kitten has been to the vet. Basically a tall friend of mine just went in, grabbed it (and scared her I may add) wrapped up in a big towel and out in a carry case.

The kitten is A GIRL! Has no fleas, no ear mites, is clean, no leukemia or aids. In fact, healthy! All joints tested, swaps of rectal areas, vaccinated, dewormed, and everything else. I need to have back in Vets in 21 days.

Kitten is only roughly 8 weeks old NOW, so only perhaps 5 weeks old when I found her.

It will now be a very long road to socialize and bind. She is not going to like me for a little while

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kabama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone- it's still a loooooong process and even up to this week kitten has not come near me and chosen to hide constantly.

She's fully vaccinated now and apart from a few growls and hissy fights with Cat (she starts them) it's all ok.

She's started sleeping on my bed, following cues from Cat but she's constantly aware of me and if I move she's outta there. She doesn't think I know, but she sometimes licks my feet during the night.

This morning however she's being very curious. She's crawling over my legs and getting very close is very interested in me. She sneaks over to sniff me and then runs away, then comes back for more sniffs. If I move she bolts, so I'm staying still.

Here's a picture taken less than five mins ago

It's going to take a loooooong time, but she's mine for life. Anyway gotta go, they are racing around the apartment and want feeding!

K x

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is such good news. I really admire you for taking this on. People so often give up on cats like this, so you are a saint! You can tell she's a spirited little bugger, too.

We have a cat we brought in at six months - the cat in my avatar. He knows we will not hurt him but he still refuses more than a ten second scritch on the head. But when he allows that scritch, my heart absolutely melts.

Thanks so much for this update.

kabama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Spirited is not the word. It's permanently on her medical records that the vet thinks she's a xiao Lao hu (little tiger)

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I've been a lurker here... Such great progress you are making, even though it seems slow.  She's definitely coming around

I just love the three photos... they show her movement and attitude so well.

smokem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So ggod to hear from you.

Figure something (or someone )maybe scared her really bad?

Ive only had adult cats,all rescued.I guess kittens mellow after awhile.

My male cat,Smoke,finally let me cut his nails,seven nails.

One at a time,mind you.And he cannot handle me hovering over him or holding

on to him.After six years.But now he gets on my computer desk and purrs and lets me pet him

on his back without biting or scratching.Progress.

She is really beautiful.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spirited is not the word. It's permanently on her medical records that the vet thinks she's a xiao Lao hu (little tiger)
So much like my little iita :D

She did run to hide constantly when saw me, then it was when she saw me moving, eventually she always came running to rub her cheek against my hand and started screaming if I did not pet her enough, which she still does, I have to pet her so long until she is rolling on her back and purring eyes closed. She even learned to be ok with being picked up, even she is not exactly a lap cat.

Very full of energy, always running and very vocal, also always starting play fights and teasing others as she is faster than other ones despite being smaller. There is fire inside some of these kitties, I'm sure your little one will soon learn to trust, curiosity is a great sign, it will not be long until she realizes that you are not a threat.

It might take a year and it might still be that coming years after that show more progress, but it will be interesting ride :)

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sleeping on your bed is big progress!!  She will get used to the movements.  Last year I brought a 3 year old male feral into the house.  It took him a full year to adjust.  He started sleeping on our bed in June.  At first it was only staying a little bit and each time one of us moved, he was off the bed.  Now he sleeps there almost all night long and is even ok when the dog jumps up!!  I never thought I would see that day. 

Thanks so much for the update.  She is just precious.  You are to be commended for sticking with her!!!

kabama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

Another update for you!

She and the older cat are extremely boisterous with each other and I feel (eventually) little lucky will be the boss. It's her who tends to get angry and growl, and the older cat is like "dude what's up, I'm confused". If that happens I just separate them.

As for me, she's very inquisitive, will sit nearby, watch me in the bath, sleep near me if she thinks I'm asleep, swats and bats at my hand if it's near her, bites my toes if they wiggle under the covers, but I can't touch her. She also went through a brief phase of pooping on my bed. That stopped pretty quickly.

Here is a picture taken just now. Whenever I peep over she's just watching me.

She copies what the bigger cat does, so for example, he's grooming himself and now she has started.she goes over to run her face on him and e puts her in her place and he still occasionally carries her about by the scruff. She is very interested when I have cuddles and strokes with the older cat, like "why can't i" but if I even tried, she would be outta there.

Oh funny story. I was running a bath and she jumped in, scared herself witless, jumped out and sat and stared at me, like I had done it to her on purpose.

She's a funny one, very expressive.

smokem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So great to hear from you!

She has grown fast,huh?Glad to hear she is accepting domestication,

although strange to her.I guess you and Cat are surrogate parents to her.

Would be interesting to know what happened to her before the drain pipe.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you so much for the update.  Don't give up on petting her. Just give her time.  Let her see you loving and petting Cat and she may one day surprise you. 

My first feral, Shadow was a wild little one when I first found him in my yard.  I had no idea what I was doing.  I set my sights on trying to get to know him.  It took months and months of hard work.  He first came to me in August one year and it wasn't until the following April that he allowed me to pet him.  I worked at his pace.  What finally allowed him to be pet was a feather wand toy.  He loved playing with it. One day, I started to place the feather wand on his back.  It freaked him out a bit, but he would go right back to playing.  I kept at it.  He got used to the feeling.  I then moved the feather to his head and started moving the feather from head to upper back.  He melted.  I pet him this way for almost a month.  It even progressed to allowing the wand under his chin.  One day I moved as close as I could get and while the feather was petting him, I moved the wand towards me and my hand towards Shadow.  He was oblivious to the switch.  He so enjoyed the pets.  He did freak when he saw it was my hand, but I kept at it by switching the wand and my hand.  The entire process took almost 2 months.  Now 4 years later, he likes to be pet but only on his terms.  Yet it was such great progress.

Keep working on Lucky.  I bet someday she will allow the pets.

alyssam

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update! She has grown into a very pretty girl. Good work and keep it up! Seems like you are having some wonderful success.

Last edited:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When attempting to pet, keep your finger curled or you can keep and in fist, then keep hand low and just bump to his lower chin/cheek or side, then you can try to nudge her bit with knuckles very subtle slow motions.

Long fingers might resemble claws and huge claws coming close from above might be scary thing.

kabama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So! A Christmas update for you all!

In the recent month she has started curling up and sleeping, tucked into my side, and she is very vocal, telling me it's breakfast time. She's skittish but follows me about and jumps out and attacks me when I walk by. She has also learnt to play, which makes me very happy!

The best of all is that in the last week she has allowed strokes and touching, only at bedtime so far, but it has progressed quickly to her moving to my stomach and sleeping there. She licks my hands when I scratch her neck.

She's never going to be carefree and without her little ways but I'm so proud of her, and thank you to everyone who has helped. You helped me save her life, and I love her to bits.

Merry Christmas from me and the kitten asleep on me as I type this.

Kabama and lucky (aka kitten aka lil baby girl)

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is just the best news.  I am so happy that you persevered and are still on your way.  Merry Christmas to you too.