Feral Kitten Crying In The Cage

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just brought a feral back from the TNR program and put him in the cage. He is crying and crying. Poor little guy has never been alone, I think. He is climbing the cage and meowing a lot. He's quite upset. I feel bad for the little guy but I am not sure what else I can do. I can't let him out as I have other cats in the house.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
B be81174

Can you put him in a bathroom with a lovey, like a stuffed animal, or better yet a hot water bottle wrapped in a blanket to snuggle? Food and water nearby?

Sit with him a bit?

He's very frightened right now, poor boy.

Is he a kitten? Is he at all adoptable?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just finished putting him in the bathroom with everything he needs...stuffed animal...litter...food..."magic sac" and of course the Feliway diffuser. He's behind the toilet now (not the first cat to take up residence there lol). He cried a bit at first but now seems to be settling down.

Not sure if he is adoptable yet. The first night is always terrifying. I keep them for a few days at least so I will be able to tell more soon. He has a urinary tract infection and was given some antibiotics that should clear it up right away. It's possible he's uncomfortable on top of being afraid. He doesn't hiss or anything when I touch him but he does clench up in terror.

I had his brother and sister here all week. The brother did not enjoy people or indoors. We made the decision to return him to his colony. His sister however was made to be indoors. She loves to be pet, fed, played with. She is going to a new family tomorrow (the vet gave her a clean bill of health! FiV and Felv negative). I have one more to TNR along with their mom!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's wonderful! :catrub:

He is probably uncomfortable from his UTI. It would be nice if he could spend the night with his sister, but don't know if that would cause problems putting her in the bathroom with him.

So glad she is adoptable, and glad he is settling down. The cage can be frightening too, so the room is a good alternative.

How old are they?

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that maybe putting his sister with him might calm him down as well! We'd love to see pictures!

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was worried about putting the cats together because of viral contamination. A woman on another rescue sight had me freaking out because she says she quarantines her cats for no less than a MONTH! It started making me worried that I don't quarantine enough. It's only been a week and I little the female (Scully) out with my cats. Sure - she's been tot he vet for a full checkup and blood tests but now I am second guessing! What if the male picked up some viral infection in the last week??

I am pretty sure this little guy is still very bonded with his mom and other cats (they also live with a skunk). I will let Scully in a little later today to see if she can make him feel better!

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He didn't feel much better with a visit from his sister. He still hasn't eaten since getting here (unless maybe a few pieces of kibble but not a noticeable amount).

He looks alert but just not eating. He doesn't cry constantly, just every now and again. I really wish he would eat something :-(

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well - I managed to pick the kitten up. Imagine my surprise to see that HE is a SHE. I looked at the form again and it says boy. So I guess a mistake was made somewhere. She broke out of the bathroom and made a trip under the bed. Purring the whole time! My cats were not impressed. I am worried about contamination!!!!

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We've had the gender mistake happen several times in our TNR work too - - we utilize a wonderful spay/neuter clinic and they move at such warp speed doing an amazingly large number of spays/neuters in a day - I don't know how they don't get things like that wrong more often!!!!

Picking her up - wow - that's a great signal that socialization will eventually work! (sounds like you've done enough to know that!). Are you able to pick her up and put her back into her bathroom? Or can you make the bedroom her new "socialization space"? (again - sounds like you've done this before so know I"m not trying to insult your knowledge) Since if she does stay in the bedroom - - I'd "kitten proof it" (bed off the frame onto the floor, other kitties out of the room, etc) while she's in there.

I'm certainly not someone who takes contamination lightly - - -when we TNR we usually house them in a set up we've gotten "down" over the years involving a dog crate, cat carrier, etc in our garage (obviously we don't do this in cold weather). But if we're fostering socialized cats/kittens, or trapping and neutering/spaying with an eye toward socialization and rehoming - we utilize that same big dog crate/cat carrier inside system in a very large spare bedroom in our finished basement --- eventually letting them have the run of that room. That bedroom is in an area that our personal cats rarely utilize anyway - -but we keep that bedroom door shut anyway - - even while the kitties are in the dog crate) so that we can avoid contamination issues. So you can see I/we take it pretty seriously at our house :)

That said - - - it sounds like the ones you're bringing into the house have been totally vetted, correct? Including testing for FeLV, etc.? And all tests were negative? I feel now like I need to do some researching on some things before I can say "oh I'm 100% sure it's fine to let them mingle right now" but at our house, once fosters have tested negative on all and had vet approval - we often allow interaction with our own kitties (at least the ones that do well with kittens/other cats) so that we can tell potential adopters with more certainty how well the foster does with other kitties. So do I feel like contamination is 100% impossible - - - no - - we can't test for everything. But if all have been tested and appear healthy, if socially it seems like a good idea to let interaction happen, we do it (but usually not the first week).

I think it sounds like your little one is scared (totally understandable!) - and if your own cats are in there with her in the bedroom (or at least have access) - that likely could be stressing her out further, rather than calming her. But is it possible to put her sibling (but not your crew) in with her full time vs taking in and out? I always feel like stability - the kitten knowing what to expect when a door opens - is a big factor in socialization. If she stays in your bedroom (and you move your guys out for the time being) - can you put a cat carrier (w/o the door) in there so that she has a "cave" to feel safe in (but that you can get to her if need be)?

And lastly (since I'm thinking a little sleep on my end would be smart now) - - to get her to eat AND to help her bond with you - - - have you tried "kitty crack" with her yet? (Gerber "2nd Foods jarred Chicken and Chicken Gravy" baby food) We offer that to very scared ones - on a very long-handled spoon - while we lie on the floor and talk softly. I don't think I've ever had one turn that down! Once they start licking that - I then put some of the actual kitten food on the spoon with a little topping of the Gerbers.

Keep us posted - - -it sounds like it's a fear thing on the kitten's part - - (and yours ;) ).

(and please know I'm absolutely not making fun of your concern about contamination - - sometimes working with ferals feels like nothing but fear and worry! but I think you're fine)

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Kittychick

So far I have brought 3 kittens in. They have all gone through the TNR program, which isn't a complete vet as I'm guessing you know. I didn't ask for the extra Fiv/Felv test (which they charge $30 for). I did vet one of the kittens completely because she was very social and I found a nice home for her. The new family offered to pay the bills for the tests and she was completely negative. This increases the likelihood that this kitten is also negative but by no means is a guarantee.

It's moot now though because my boyfriend, who just doesn't get it, let her out of the bathroom this morning. I was sleeping still. So she is happily playing with all the toys and running around the condo. She's nervous about people - won't really let us go too close. She's also not interested in food reward. Not yet, at least. I guess now I just hope there's nothing to contaminate. My cats are all up to date with vaccinations and advantage. Fingers crossed.

Sigh!
:lol:

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah....I think there's a bit of "it is what it is" now ;) But yours are up-to-date, which greatly reduces any kind of anything being transmitted to your guys. Yes - you're right - - - if the sibling tested ok on all, the likelihood of your foster baby testing ok too is alot higher.

I do have a tip (and you may know this anyway) on getting a non-food-motivated kitten/cat somewhere ----we use a laser pointer. In fact, just this morning as we were trying to gather 2 of our 3 current sweet, fluffy adorable fosters (one to take to fill out adoption papers and go into her permanent forever home!!!!!! woohoo!!!!) - - - one just panicked. Which quickly became TWO panicked kittens who saw the carrier as a box of impending doom. But laser pointer to the rescue! We got them chasing it round the room for a bit, then led them right into the open carrier via chasing the laser! Voila! Two kittens in the carrier - and my husband and I both had all of our fingers intact! So if you DO need to get her back into the bathroom - - you might try that!