Feral(ish) Cat advice 😻/ CJ is now inside!

Twinks113

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there - this might be a bit long, I apologize in advance!
A couple of years ago we had a feral kitty we started feeding. She was a gorgeous dilute tortie. She finally got to a point where she wouldn’t run completely away when we came out to feed her, just to the other end of the deck. We discovered she was pregnant and while we never found her kittens, we did eventually trap her, have her spayed and vaccinated and returned her to our yard. We named her Chipotle because of her spicy attitude! Several months later, this past January, another kitty started coming around and we immediately knew she was Chipotle’s daughter. She was almost identical to her, dilute tortie with almost the same markings, the only difference being she is long-haired. We named her CJ (Chipotle Jr lol) Matching up the dates of when we stopped seeing Chipotle pregnant, CJ was about 9 months old. She wasn’t consistent at first, but around mid March she started coming daily, and we soon discovered she was pregnant 😢 At that point Chipotle stopped coming around, which we were really sad about but we also know there are others in our neighborhood who feed stray/feral kitties. We were feeding her wet food since it was cold and snowy, we got heated bowls so she had fresh water, and we made an area under our deck stairs where she would be shielded as we have a large snoball bush in the corner. She spent a lot of time under our house in the crawl space as well. Mid-April she was no longer pregnant. We searched high and low for those kittens and could never find them. I started counting down the weeks until her kittens would be 8 weeks old because we wanted to trap her to get her spayed and vaccinated as well. During this time, somehow she started to trust me and at the end of April she started letting me pet the top of her head! I was on cloud nine! This pretty quickly progressed to her letting me pet her while she ate and she would even rub on my legs! About 7 weeks in, one day we looked out to see her waiting for food, and out popped a kitten from under the stairs!! We couldn’t believe it! That first day we only saw one. The next day she had all SIX with her! This was May 30th. They were eating both the wet and dry food and drinking water from the bowls so we did what we had to do. We trapped all six kittens and then used the kittens to trap her. I never felt so awful as when I had to trick her into the trap using her kittens but I had to do what was best for her and that was getting her vetted so she didn’t have to go through this again. I am a volunteer at our local shelter and my plan was to keep the kittens for a few days to get them used to human contact and then get them posted on our Facebook page for adoption. We got CJ in the next day to be spayed, combo tested, vaccinated and microchipped. My daughter works at our vet so thankfully they got her in that quickly. She stayed in an extra large dog crate next door in my mom’s spare room for a week while she recovered. She still let me pet her but she was unhappy. After a week, it broke my heart but we let her back outside. She spent a full 24 hours frantically calling for and looking for her babies and it about broke me because I had them right inside my large bathroom :( Thankfully after a day she pretty quickly went back to her normal happy demeanor, coming for food and pets a couple times a day. Four of her kittens were adopted into wonderful homes and the other two were adopted by me and my family 😻 In the past couple of weeks CJ has started really wanting me to love on her a lot. She allows my husband and daughter to pet her as well though not nearly how she is with me. We put a large outdoor cushion outside for her and she lounges on it, even napping several hours every afternoon! She is very happy. In just a few months it’s going to be cold again so we will be building her a home that will stay on the deck. It will have insulation and blankets etc. I am starting to consider trying to bring her indoors. We have a good size bedroom we could cat proof and let her get acclimated to the indoors in. The entirety of this post was a back story to ask the question - based on her behavior do you think she would acclimate to bring indoors? We believe based on her frantic searching for the kittens when we released her after surgery that her melancholy while indoors recovering had more to do with her wanting her kittens than it did with being in the house. Thoughts and opinions welcome. If I can figure out how I’d love to share some pics or a small video of her ❤ if you made it this far, bless you and thank you!!!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi there - this might be a bit long, I apologize in advance!
Hi there, no apologies needed.

Thank you for taking care of Chipotle, CJ and her kittens. So sorry that Chipotle is no where to be seen and thankful that VJ is still with you and her kittens are adopted by you and the others. Bless your heart.

Firstly, CJ is beautiful! :redheartpump: :hearthrob: Secondly, with all the progress made, I think she should be indoors immediately rather than stay out for the winter since you already have a safe room for her and on top of that, her other two kittens are indeed the house and this will make things much easier to acclimate her.

The longer she stays outside, the harder it'll be to bring her in. Please bring her in.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chipotle Cj and her babies were all lucky to have found you. I am so sorry that Chipotle hasnt been around lately but i highly agree that she would benefit greatly from coming inside now being that she is showing some trust to you and your family. This will definitely help in bringing her inside.

The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside - TheCatSite

hopefully this can help in bringing her in.. please keep us updated

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Twinks113

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! We are in the process of preparing the room for her. She has become as affectionate with my husband as she is with me since we started having him do the feeding more often. She loves to sleep on her fluffy cushions we have on the deck for her and we are taking good care of her until the room is ready which should be soon. I do worry that she will be bored inside or be destructive in effort to get out. We will have a couple of cat trees and some wall shelves/stairs/hammocks, plenty of comfy spots to sleep, a couple of dome like beds for her to feel secure, etc. should we allow her to see outside at first or will that make her more anxious to get back out?

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi there! We are in the process of preparing the room for her. She has become as affectionate with my husband as she is with me since we started having him do the feeding more often. She loves to sleep on her fluffy cushions we have on the deck for her and we are taking good care of her until the room is ready which should be soon. I do worry that she will be bored inside or be destructive in effort to get out. We will have a couple of cat trees and some wall shelves/stairs/hammocks, plenty of comfy spots to sleep, a couple of dome like beds for her to feel secure, etc. should we allow her to see outside at first or will that make her more anxious to get back out?
4ab228563a0ee29d507ea5919e88f303.gif

You can sort of screen out the window that looks outside first. Get her to acclimate into the room and slowly open top the window TV for her to see outside.

Whatever the case or how much she begs to go out, please don't let her go.

Do show us the finished room.

Twinks113

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We spent the last couple of weeks making room in my mom’s spare room to bring CJ inside. For the long back story you can check out my original post 🤗 This morning, I had our large dog crate on the deck and fed her directly in front of it. I placed the bowl a little ways in and she put her front legs inside and kept eating. I took a deep breath, popped her booty in and shut the door. Took half a second to acknowledge it actually happened then got her inside! She is confused and somewhat upset as I would expect but I’m still able to pet her. She ate a few bites of dry food, a treat stick and has used the litter box once. I had intended for her not to able to see out the window but she managed to get on the window sill. It did not seem to make her upset so the blinds are up for now. The cat tree we got her has a hut in the bottom and she’s been hanging out there. I go next door and check on her every so often. After dinner I’ll go over and spend a couple hours in the room with her. I have two cameras set up in the room so I can watch her at all times. I’m hopeful and optimistic, but expect it won’t be entirely smooth sailing. Will keep you posted!!
IMG_6232.jpeg

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She looks pretty content in that picture! Look forward to updates on how it goes!

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Love the “popped her booty in” part. She is so ready to find love, comfort, shelter. Thank you for being such a considerate person…and what a lovely coat she has…dare I say? She almost looks smug! :) Looking forward to your next update.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
We spent the last couple of weeks making room in my mom’s spare room to bring CJ inside. For the long back story you can check out my original post 🤗 This morning, I had our large dog crate on the deck and fed her directly in front of it. I placed the bowl a little ways in and she put her front legs inside and kept eating. I took a deep breath, popped her booty in and shut the door. Took half a second to acknowledge it actually happened then got her inside! She is confused and somewhat upset as I would expect but I’m still able to pet her. She ate a few bites of dry food, a treat stick and has used the litter box once. I had intended for her not to able to see out the window but she managed to get on the window sill. It did not seem to make her upset so the blinds are up for now. The cat tree we got her has a hut in the bottom and she’s been hanging out there. I go next door and check on her every so often. After dinner I’ll go over and spend a couple hours in the room with her. I have two cameras set up in the room so I can watch her at all times. I’m hopeful and optimistic, but expect it won’t be entirely smooth sailing. Will keep you posted!!
Good job! :clapcat:

Twinks113

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
CJ has been inside for 12 days now. She has adjusted very well and is very comfortable in her room. We spend time with her several times a day. We have a Google speaker in the room that plays birds chirping during the day and cricket/frog sounds at night so it’s a little similar to what she would hear outside. She sleeps a lot during the day and is active at night which I’m sure is how she operated living outside. She loves to lay in the window bed, and she loves the hut in the cat tree as well. She really enjoys playing with toys. We play with her a lot and I love when I see her playing with them on the camera when we aren’t in with her. At some point I need to try to introduce her to my mom’s cat so we are doing scent swapping for now. Will keep updating as time goes on :)
IMG_6592.jpeg

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Omgoodness this is a great update!!! She looks so content. Now she can live a healthy life full of love! She seems to be doing very well for just a short 12 days.. that is amazing it shows just how much she was trusting you while she was outside.

Twinks113

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
CJ has been inside for just shy of two months and she’s done very well! We started with a very tall gate on the bedroom door and now have the door to her room open with the gate down at the end of the hallway (my husband built it so she can’t jump over it) The hope is that the resident cat will get acclimated to her once she starts coming down the hallway more. Everything is a process and takes time but she has done so well every step of the way. She loves play time and her favorite is the fishing pole toy with the birdie on the end. She also loves catnip mice, springs and balls! She enjoys looking out the window and we are able to crack it open just a bit now. And I mean just cracked open, I would never open it to where there would be any chance she could try to squeeze out. We also have screen locks but I don’t take any chances. It’s getting cold here now (Michigan) so we won’t have many more opportunities for quite a while. She seems very content and she is very loved ❤
IMG_7152.jpeg
image000000.jpeg
IMG_8073.jpeg

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
CJ has been inside for just shy of two months and she’s done very well! We started with a very tall gate on the bedroom door and now have the door to her room open with the gate down at the end of the hallway (my husband built it so she can’t jump over it) The hope is that the resident cat will get acclimated to her once she starts coming down the hallway more. Everything is a process and takes time but she has done so well every step of the way. She loves play time and her favorite is the fishing pole toy with the birdie on the end. She also loves catnip mice, springs and balls! She enjoys looking out the window and we are able to crack it open just a bit now. And I mean just cracked open, I would never open it to where there would be any chance she could try to squeeze out. We also have screen locks but I don’t take any chances. It’s getting cold here now (Michigan) so we won’t have many more opportunities for quite a while. She seems very content and she is very loved ❤
Great progress for just two months! Keep it up! She's a sweetie! :hearthrob: :redheartpump: