Feral injured, what to do?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for asking about William and Ace!

I did take William's e-collar off this past Sunday, and I gave him a good neck rub and brushing all over, except for his tail area
and back end where they shaved him for his surgery. He was purring and purring. I kept him in the room for a little bit to see if he would try and mutilate the stub of tail he has left.

I was really happy to discover that the vet had put some sort of horrible tasting stuff on the tail stub, so that William foamed and drooled like crazy every time he went for his tail.

Armed with that information and knowing that Ace was outside missing her man, I went ahead and let him back outside. Ace was ecstatic to see him!!

You all will laugh about this, but a few days earlier when I was brushing William, I collected all the big puffs of his hair from the brush and took them down to Ace. The next day I found that she had moved his fur into her lair where she keeps all her favorite possessions.

Anyhow they were totally thrilled to be back together. Since he is back outside he has stopped vocalizing to me, but when he comes toward the porch or our house for his food he mews like a little kitten. Also I still let Ace and William in the house in the mornings and evenings for food and play. I put my kitties in a separate room. Sometimes I let them be around each other but it is going to take time.

William still lets me brush him and scratch his neck, but I have to do it at the time when I am feeding him, and move slowly. He cannot resist the neck rub and my brushing his face. I cannot go toward him whether inside or outside. If he were inside with the door shut, he would probably let me, but that is for another time, between now and this fall I hope.

For outdoor shelter, John and I are building them a sunray premium playground (without the swings LOL), believe it or not. I looked everywhere for any sort of reasonably priced structure or furniture we could have for them outdoors in the non-winter months and there was absolutely nothing. This was the only thing we could find, it was not cheap but everything else (porch furniture, other enclosures) was more expensive and didn't fit what we needed - something high off the ground where they could have shelter and escape if needed.

I know it is a lot to spend on the cats, but it buys me peace of mind. William already lost his tail in the 16 months since I first met him and if it were not for the surgery he would have died. So now there is less chance I will go to the door one morning and see one of them with an eye hanging out or worse, not see one or both of them and never know what happened.

I am still trying to figure out how to post pictures. I have a gorgeous picture of Ace and William but it was on my work PC and I just got reorg'd out of a job after a jillion years there (that is another story of many recent things in my life
). Anyhow I will just take new pix, this will take a little while of figuring out how to do it though.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh please, please, please e-mail Amy the pics - I want to see them!

Do you know how to get the pics onto the computer and attach them to an e-mail? Because we can walk you through that easily!

And the playground sounds wonderful! And don't feel silly spending lots on the cats - you're talking to a group of people who probably spend WAY more than they can afford on cats!

If you ever want to consider an actual enclosure for the kitties, there are so many things you can do....

http://cats.about.com/gi/dynamic/off...enclosure.html

http://cats.about.com/gi/dynamic/off...m%2Fpage7.html

Here's pics of Jenn's (jcribbs) enclosure (in progress at the time): http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=57

Laurie

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh - and I totally forgot to say that Ace stashing the furr from William is just TOO CUTE!!!! I'm so glad they're back together.

And don't those "little kitten" mews just go straight into your heart? Cats are so smart!

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok I finally got the Ace and William pix from my old work PC and I sent them to MOM. The picture is taken through our window last fall, so William still has his tail. I told MOM I would try and get another in the next day or so.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by BarbB

I'm glad you asked about Ace, MOM. She is having a bit of trouble holding her own outside.

Anyhow 2 nites ago I was in William's room (I put a blanket on the plastic sheet and laid on it that way) and my hubbie heard cat screams outside. I went out w/a flashlight but did not see anything. But this morning I noticed that Ace has a very tiny scratch right above her eye in that "thin hair" space between a kitty's eye and ear. This is not the first nite we've heard other cats, so I am pretty sure she needs her William back soon. He is a good 22 lbs to her 6lbs (even though most of it is pure fat I am sorry to say) and he looks very ominous even though he is a huge baby. I will try and link to a picture of them.

I have never worked with feral cats before these two, so I am interested to know if this is common, defending their house and heating pad
from other kitties. Also if there is anything I can do to help keep other critters away, I'd be interested to know that too.
Sorry but missed this before. Yes, it is very common for other cats to move into a territory once a dominant cat has vacated it. William was defending his territory more so than he let on, obvious by the fact that others were harassing Ace while he was inside.

When I moved from my last home and took all the ferals with me, I got a call from the new owners within a week asking if I'd left some kittens behind. Apparently a pregnant female showed up after we moved and had kittens on the property. Doesn't surprise me as we had the perfect set up for feral cats.

What you witnessed is the "vacuum" effect described by folks that understand the need to TNR. The return portion of the process does keep cats from moving into an area where cats once lived.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been following this thread even though I haven't posted. What a beautiful story. Those are two beautiful cats and it makes my heart feel good to know someone so kind is caring for them. God bless you. I'd love more pictures any time.