Feral in danger?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

andrewrichard5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is the response I got about what happened to my two kittens' mom:

"I was able to trap “Hannah†(aptly name for campus!) and she was successfully spayed AFTER she had another litter of 4 kittens in my house. We adopted out the two male kittens she had and ended up keeping the 2 female kittens. And surprisingly NONE of them were all black this time. We have taken Hannah into our home too and sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s getting along well with all of our other cats. Sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s still pretty skittish around us but weâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]re making small steps toward being able to pet her and give her the affection she deserves. We had toyed with the idea of releasing her back on campus but we ended up putting about $200 of our own money into her and decided to keep her. (We were also fortunate to collect about $200 from staff in Selinsgrove Hall to help with her spay procedure.)"

The second litter must have had a different dad or something because 3 of the 5 were all black in the first litter like mom and in this litter none of them were. At least the most prolific breeder has been taken off the streets of this campus so far.

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you have some people on campus who are cat lovers and have already taken steps toward TNR. That is great and I am hope you can find others, getting them spayed/neutered now while the colony is small is also beneficial for everyone. Keep looking, there also may be a feral organization that could also help you. Are there shelters around your campus or veterinary offices-there may be someone there who knows of an organization who would also be willing to help you. Good luck, don't give up!!

andrewrichard5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KRZ

It sounds like you have some people on campus who are cat lovers and have already taken steps toward TNR. That is great and I am hope you can find others, getting them spayed/neutered now while the colony is small is also beneficial for everyone. Keep looking, there also may be a feral organization that could also help you. Are there shelters around your campus or veterinary offices-there may be someone there who knows of an organization who would also be willing to help you. Good luck, don't give up!!
I am currently working with and have been approved for PA Pets' Feral Cat Program. PA Pets is an organization in Central Pennsylvania that is dedicated to providing neutering and spaying assistance to low income families as well as promoting getting pets spayed and neutered. Their feral cat program which I am now approved for will cover all the costs related to the TNR of up to 10 cats. They have told me if I bring in 10 then I will be sponsored for an additional 10 so I can pretty much have as many ferals TNRed as I can catch all for free. I just have to take the cats to the vet, pick them up and pay the $8 fee for the rabies shot, PA Pets covers the rest. They even hooked me up with a trap and someone to feed and care for the cats when I am on Thanksgiving break. They have also offered a small doghouse to put next to my building, but it is probably too early to try to ask the school about that.

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you heard of the Stanford Cat Network? It is not sponsored by Stanford University, but is working on their campus. If you google it, you can contact them, they might have some additional ideas or advice for you about approaching the proper individuals at your school. You are doing an amazing job, hopefully when you graduate, others will step up and carry on what you have started. Your parents must be very proud of you!

andrewrichard5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Stanford Cat Network. I will certainly look that up. Thank you as always.

purrly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please do no inform the school.  It is best to keep it as secretive as possible.  If they don't like what you are doing,  your rescue mission will be done.  I learned this the hard way.  I confided to a neighbor's daughter, who is in her 50's no less,  living on   apt. complex grounds .She was helping to feed them so I thought she'd be amenable to keeping them warm.  The elderly mom just seems to like to watch them eat but she has all her faculties.  Her comment was they can do what they have been doing all along with the freezing cold. I don't want a home here.  After hours of research,  buying the purrfect plastic box, driving 10 miles to get straw, and getting styrofoam from supermarkets,  the mom got suspicious as to what I was doing with the styrofoam after I cleaned it out,  asked  her daughter I assume, and then she told me she does not want it on her property behind the bushes.  It was a great spot because it was hidden from other apt. dwellers who don't like rules broken or who don't care about animals.   The daughter had even cleaned out the area behind the bushes that held her gardening tools.  I am so sorry I didn't keep my mouth shut. In my enthusiasm to help the cats and share the good will,   I now have no place to put the wonderful shelter I put together. And all along the daughter knew I was getting a shelter ready.    If it is a public place of any kind,  you will get grief from somebody.  Thank you for doing your best and helping these poor innocent cats.  If only more people were like you. 

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
purrly, first of all, welcome to TCS! :wavey:

Second, you are posting in a thread that's three years old. :D Please feel free to wander on over to the New Cats On The Block forum and introduce yourself. We would all love to see pictures of you and your cats.

My name is Katie, and if you need help finding your way around here, just click on my username and send me a PM, and let me know. :clap:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Purrly - YES - WELCOME to TCS. Please make yourself at home here on the site. And as Speakhandsforme suggests - go to the New Cat's on the Block Forum and please introduce yourself :D Hope you have a wonderful time exploring this wonderful forum :clap::clap:

Last edited: