Feral/house cat - rabbie quarantine

catlovers23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
I’m rescuing my 4th cat, I’d call them ferals, bc they are from the outdoors, but I believe they are abandoned house cats, bc 2 out of 4 have been so friendly, the 3rd took a year to warm up, and now a 4th that was injured during a snow storm is finally home w me, he’s on rabbie quarantine for 2 more months, so locked up and isolated, it’s not even been a week, he peed himself laying down initially and is really warming up to me since! Letting me pet him and rubbing up to the cage.
Questions;
What can I do progressively to get him more acclimated?
he seems to be laying in his litter when spooked, how can I help him to stop this?
already he seems like a forgotten house cat, loving pets through the cage, what else will be helpful to him?
thank you in advance to the responses I really appreciate this community and the help I’ve received in the past!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi all,
I’m rescuing my 4th cat, I’d call them ferals, bc they are from the outdoors, but I believe they are abandoned house cats, bc 2 out of 4 have been so friendly, the 3rd took a year to warm up, and now a 4th that was injured during a snow storm is finally home w me, he’s on rabbie quarantine for 2 more months, so locked up and isolated, it’s not even been a week, he peed himself laying down initially and is really warming up to me since! Letting me pet him and rubbing up to the cage.
Questions;
What can I do progressively to get him more acclimated?
he seems to be laying in his litter when spooked, how can I help him to stop this?
already he seems like a forgotten house cat, loving pets through the cage, what else will be helpful to him?
thank you in advance to the responses I really appreciate this community and the help I’ve received in the past!
Thank you for taking these kitties in and for giving them a warm and fur-ever loving home and a safe sanctuary to live out their lives :clapcat:

It seems to me that he's gotten used to you by letting you pet him and rubbing up to the cage which is a good sign. How long more has he to be in the cage? Can he be let out?
Spend more time with him, talk to him softly and try to lessen loud noise if you can. Some cats seek refuge in the litterbox when they are afraid. Can you find out what spooked him? If that is removed away, it is easier so that he may calm down faster if this is the main cause of him laying in his litterbox.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlovers23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for that, bc I swore the last one was the ‘last one’
Okay so he’s on a 4 month quarantine and was at the vet for 2 months, something spooked him there and they wanted him to get discharged ASAP as he started swatting at them, I’ve had him less than a week and he’s warmed up to me (no swatting), he was outside years before that, so it’s a lot of change. Something at the vet spooked him, then they put him in the cage for transport and he pooped and peed all over himself...I think he’s made great progress, this is quite new to me, and where I have him in the cage if he won’t get back in, I won’t be able to make him.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thank you for that, bc I swore the last one was the ‘last one’
Okay so he’s on a 4 month quarantine and was at the vet for 2 months, something spooked him there and they wanted him to get discharged ASAP as he started swatting at them, I’ve had him less than a week and he’s warmed up to me (no swatting), he was outside years before that, so it’s a lot of change. Something at the vet spooked him, then they put him in the cage for transport and he pooped and peed all over himself...I think he’s made great progress, this is quite new to me, and where I have him in the cage if he won’t get back in, I won’t be able to make him.
I think let him calm down first and in the meanwhile, keep assuring him and take his mind off the vet's visit. Play some soft soothing classical music for him.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are very kind to have taken this cat on and given him a home. The rabies quarantine is for 4 months? That seems very long but maybe it has to do with where you live or other circumstances? Good reason to suspect rabies exposure? He has to be caged specifically, not just in a room by himself? However, I am NOT saying that you should violate any of the conditions of his quarantine if this is what you were told to do.

If you can afford it, I would get the biggest cage possible. There is a member right now with a cat who was injured and has to stay specifically caged for 6 weeks and she has a huge cage with all the amenities that she can put in it. Really, the rubbing against the cage is a good sign that he wants your companionship and I think that he will continue to warm up to you as you continue to care for him, especially if he is an abandoned stray or pet.