Feral has stopped eating and drinking

Pearlrivers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have two feral cats we have been caring for about eight years. one recently stopped eating and died. Now the second is doing the same thing. She is fixed and stays pretty much on my property. Any ideas on what this could be. Very distressing.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
We have two feral cats we have been caring for about eight years. one recently stopped eating and died. Now the second is doing the same thing. She is fixed and stays pretty much on my property. Any ideas on what this could be. Very distressing.

It could be a number of reasons. I do know that if a cat stops eating and drinking their body will shut down quickly. Can you get her to a vet?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry your other feral died. There are so many things that can affect ferals. She really does need to be seen by a vet. If you cannot trap her, will she go into any building so you can get her or will she allow you contact? Are there any feral rescue groups near you? I don’t know where you are but if it is hot, it’s crucial that she get liquids. Some cats will drink the liquid off of a can of plain canned chicken. Make sure it is just the meat and no added things like onion or garlic. No spices. Tuna in water could work too. Anything with added fluid content until you can get her. All meat Gerber 2nd foods baby food might entice her into a trap or , at lest into taking nourishment with a high fluid content. Make very sure that the water available to her outside is very fresh and clean. I deeply hope she will allow you to catch her. If you need further information please post back. You may be able to find a vet that will specialize in ferals and even come to her. Thank you for being caring and observant and realizing she needs help! :redheartpump: