Feral Food Station-racoons

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Am I crazy for feeling sorry for the little raccoon who has been separated from his family? The problem was trapping is that they are always more raccoons appearing.

Now that raccoons have tasted the food at your feeding station, they will continue to return, especially as we head into spring with the birth of baby raccoons. One strategy I employed one summer when my neighbors and I were caring for a small colony was to leave cat food at the side of my house as an alternate feeding spot for the raccoons and opossum. They started eating there because it was easier than coming up on my porch and encountering me and my cats and my broom. It was not an ideal solution because the raccoons really made our block their home, and there were about 10 of them. They never bothered our cats though, so I am thankful for that. I wish you luck in figuring out a solution. Thank you for caring for these cats.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
No, msaimee, you're not crazy for that :) . I was thinking the same thing about that one 'coon, but it will probably be fine. They typically leave the family unit anywhere from 8 months old to about a year. Since as you mentioned litters are born during spring and early summer, its age would be about right for it to have been about ready to leave, if it hadn't already.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just feed my ferals before it gets dark and they don't have to deal with the raccoons. I put out food for the raccoons after the cats have eaten. Cat food, fruit and they love corn muffins. I have to feed everything that comes into my yard. I enjoy watching the animals.