Feral Family Living Out Front--help!

kaymay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! First-time poster, and I'm so glad to have found this site!!!

So here's my story--I have two cats, both outdoor rescues, both fully indoor. Anyway, there's a feral female who has come around to the house for the last year or so, and I've put out food for her. She had a litter last year (not sure what became of the kits--they used to feed at my house and another house across the street, but that family has since moved, so we're the main source).

So this year the female had a litter and began coming by for food, along with the kittens (she has four, all beautiful healthy little ones :)). The thing that's becoming more of a concern is that she's getting very territorial and somewhat aggressive with me--when I bring out the food, she cries and crowds me, hissing until I've put down the plate. She's even swiped at my leg a few times (I wear long pants, so no scratches, but it's concerning since it's happened twice in the last couple of days). Her babies feed alongside her, along with a tom who (I suspect) is the baby daddy.

I've started looking into TNR for the tom and queen (unfortunately, she may be pregnant again, but it's hard to tell). I'm also hoping to trap the kits so they can be socialized and adopted--they're a little less shy around me now :). I'm just wondering if there's any way to deal with angry momma, since I don't want to scare or antagonize her, but it's getting to the point where it's hard to get in and out our front door (she seems to have taken over the front stoop!) I'm putting food further away (near the garage) but she still freaks out when I go near the door--

Any help or advice would be hugely appreciated (including whether or not her behavior is normal--I figure it's hormonal, but I wasn't sure, and I don't want to get clawed or bitten).

Thank you all so much, and sorry for the long post!!!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
K kaymay

I think it's hormonal because she is protecting her kittens. She may also be pregnant again, which creates more hormones.

I believe she smells your cats inside, and is at the door to keep them away from her food and her babies.

She may also be super hungry and need more food more often for herself and her brood.

I'm not sure if there is much you can do beyond trapping her and spaying her.

How old do you think the kittens are?

Do you have a have a heart trap?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kaymay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Sarthur2! Thank you so much for your reply!

I believe the kittens are probably around eight weeks old--they're not quite as "gangly" as older kittens, but definitely close to being fully weaned (I used to see the mother nursing out front, but not over the last week, and the kittens eat everything I'm putting out). I'm going to Home Depot this weekend to pick up a "haveaheart" trap, and (hopefully!) I'll be able to get momma inside :).

Thank you so much again--glad to hear her behavior's normal! (more or less!)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
K kaymay

Be prepared for the fact that you may catch kittens before you catch mom.

And if you get mom, you'll want to get her spayed quickly in case she's pregnant again.

They sell have a heart traps in 2 packs. It might be worth setting two of them.

You'll need a room prepared for mom and the kittens with food and water bowls and a litter box.

Do you have a low-cost spay clinic you can take them to?

kaymay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Sarthur!

Luckily our county has a TNR program--I just have to trap the cats and bring them over (easier said than done, I know!) They'll do the spay/neuter, and then I pick them up and release them--

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for looking out for that kitty family! I agree with SArthur that the mama kitty is likely hormonal and protective simultaneously. Our mother cat is currently in heat and has suddenly become overprotective, attacking both our poor little dog and my cat Silver. It is scary because they are so fierce- I cant think of any advice to add except to keep your protective gear on and avoid eye contact with the mama kitty.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Awesome that you have a good county program. :)

Keep us posted on the progress!

kaymay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much Sarthur2 and catsknowme!!! I'll definitely keep everyone posted! Unfortunately, they didn't come by this morning for food :(. I'm hoping they're just doing some brief wandering and they'll be back later...

kaymay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Now I'm worried--the whole family seems to be gone :(. I think they were living out back, and when I would open the door they'd come running for food. Today, though, no sightings, not even in a neighbor's yard...

I'm concerned because my husband heard a cat crying out last night from our backyard, so I'm wondering if something frightened them away (we're on Long Island, so not too many predators, but I've seen possums and raccoons occasionally).

Thank you all so much for your support and help, and I'll update once I know something!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:vibes::vibes::vibes: Prayers and vibes that the kitties are safe and return soon. It doesnt make sense that they would all be gone unless the whole family moved. When the mountain lion attacked my ferals this spring, several cats stayed well-hidden for days. One cat waited until dinnertime on the fourth day to reappear.

MJO12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope they come back, too. And first thing I would try to spay the mom. Poor thing. You'll be doing her such a favor. I wouldn't want to keep having a baby every ten months! I know this is hard work. Bless you for doing this.

kaymay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aw, you guys are the best!!! Thank you all so much for your support and kind words!

Unfortunately, still no sign of the family :( (it does look like the whole family is gone--I haven't seen any sign of the parents or kits, so I'm hoping they're together and safe.) I'm going to pick up the traps regardless, because if they come back I want to be prepared...

Once again, thank you all so much, and I'll keep you posted!!! Just out of curiosity, should I continue putting out food? I was a bit worried, because the wet food (which they hugely prefer!) goes bad quickly and attracts flies, especially in the heat (plus we sometimes pick up some more unwelcome wild visitors, like raccoons).

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:headscratch: What a mystery.....I would put out only small amounts of food, preferably dry. If you can, rake the food area and sprinkle dry dust around, then check for tracks. If a catastrophe occurred, the others may be in deep hiding. When I had the cougar come into my yard this spring, I had cats hiding from 2-4 days before they reappeared. Prayers and vibes that momma cat has merely moved the family and will return safely to you. You might try posting on FB and My Neighborhood.com - you can make a FB page that people can respond to, without revealing your name. My FB page is Bishop Kitten Connection. Thank you for the update!:vibes::vibes:

kaymay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!! Update--momma and family came back last night! (Momma first, then the kits--the funny thing was, she was very calm on her own, but once the babies made an appearance she was back to her hissing-growling self :)). I fed them last night and today, and I'm going to set up traps tomorrow (we're visiting family this afternoon/evening, so the timing is a bit tricky).

Unfortunately, one of the babies now has a pronounced limp (I didn't see any open wounds, but mom doesn't like it when I get too close). I'm hoping to get all the kits into one trap so I can get them checked out by a vet, spayed, shots, etc.--hopefully the little one just sprained something. He/she certainly has no problem eating!

Once again, thank you all so much for your kindness and concern, and I'll let everyone know how the trapping goes!

kaymay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update!! One kitten caught!

The funny thing is, I think mom has a sixth sense when it comes to trapping--as soon as I bought the traps, she and three of the kits went AWOL (before I'd even set them up!). The fourth was crying up a storm out back and in front this morning--I put out food, and she came inside the house (!) and pressed noses with my big cat before hissing and running away :) (There's nothing cuter than baby hisses :)). Anyway, I used an old cat carrier instead of a trap and put in a bunch of treats, which she (he? not sure) loved--I took her to the vet, and they're going to let me know how she checks out--

Thank you all so much again for all the support and encouragement, and I'll keep updating with more news!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wonderful!

Mom and the other kittens must be nearby. Keep trying! :)