Feral Cats... The movie!

jacques t

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
During my research, I came across an amazing documentary about feral cats.  It's called Ten Lives:  A Feral Cat's Journey.

I recommend it.  It's close to an hour long.  Is there a sticky for feral cat videos for people view?

Last edited by a moderator:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you @Jacques T  This was really interesting. Nice to see how the whole community came forward to help with trapping and feeding the cats. And what lovely, healthy looking cats they were!

At one point a woman is bottle feeding two ginger kittens and Gin kun, who was asleep on the couch next to me, suddenly woke up and began looking around to see where the mewing was coming from. He got quite agitated and began calling to them. He must have fathered dozens of kittens before he came to live with me, I'm sure his fatherly instinct is still very strong.

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
What a good movie! I hope everyone who does not feel spay and neuter is important watches this, and these are the lucky ones.

Last edited by a moderator:

catsoul

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Great educational movie. It reminds me of my first experiences with ferals in San Francisco with trapping in the 90's myself. I heard about the Treasure island abandonments when that base closed but did not have active contact with that organization helping. Someone founded a group called Second Chance in Alameda, right outside of SF that I was part of; I trapped but hated the actual doing of that part...was better at providing fostering. It was the basis of my first understandings of the feral situation.

I totally agree that the bird population decline is more due to people than cats; hopefully there is better understanding now that trapping and then killing ferals is not helpful toward the bird decline and is so inhumane, and does not in and of itself decrease the feral population. So wonderful that there are lots of feral groups that are active.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jacques t

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is a series for feral kitten socialization.  It's called:  Tough Love:  Socializing Feral Kittens.  It's a 3 part series. I don't know if this should be in a separate thread or not. lol

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

jacques t

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And this one is a series of an adult feral cat that was successfully socialized.  Known as Scruffy's story.  The author does reuse footage to tie his videos together.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am also looking forward to watching the movie. Thank you so much for posting.

I have seen the 3-part Tough Love - Taming feral kittens series from the Urban Cat League! Also good that you posted and very, very helpful for anyone needing to watch first hand how it is done. An excellent resource. :bigthumb:

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can't wait to watch all of these!!!! Thanks all!!! I've seen & watched repeatedly the Tough Love ones and HIGHLY recommend them when starting to work with feral kittens. I have even spoken to the guy who created them in NY & thanked him for doing them-they really helped me-as did he-get through working with my first feral litter!