Feral Cats and laser pointers

siren's daddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I work nights on a big property that has a couple feral cat colonies. I had an idea of trying to befriend some of them using a laser pointer to get them in close. I brought the same pointers I use with siren and was shocked to see that none of the ferals gave the laser any attention.

I only got 1 reaction out of about 25 cats and all it did was casually watch the light for a couple minutes then walked off like nothing was different. This one was the youngest I tried it on. It is actually Sirens litter mate so that would put it at 15 weeks.

So my question is why dose a domesticated cat love the laser but ferals don't (at least the ones I tested)?

Also just for fun I tried the same thing on a couple raccoons, opossums, and skunks with no reaction from either. (I get really bored at work sometimes)

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You know, I don't know the answer to that. Maybe because it has no smell? All of our seven are feral rescues - the ones rescued young love the laser pointer. The ones rescued at one or older don't give it the least bit of attention!

I don't know how old the kitties are there... the best way to befriend them is with food.

Sorry - I'm not familiar with the situation. Are the cats spayed/neutered?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Siren's Daddy

Also just for fun I tried the same thing on a couple raccoons, opossums, and skunks with no reaction from either. (I get really board at work sometimes)
What would you have done if you had accidentally interested a skunk and lured it your way?

My former feral kittens love it, but they're pretty far from feral now... (in other words, they're being typical annoying kittens right at this moment
)

I've interested semi ferals with long strings in the past.
Maybe with ferals it could be lack of sound, too? They'll certainly find any bug trying to sneak passed them with their sharp hearing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

siren's daddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As far as I know all of the true ferals are as God made them, but I am sure there are some formally domesticated cats that might be fixed in the group.

I thought about food but I don't want them to start depending on me to feed them. Threw normal hunting they get a lot of food. There are a lot of rats mice and small birds around here that they get all the time.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know it's not your property, but just putting it out there... if you would like to help prevent that 25 or so cats from becoming 60, 70 or more come Spring, you may want to consider working on trapping them if and when you can. Here is info that may be helpful - it seems there are no cost services available for ferals in your area.

http://www.cahealthypets.com/pdf/Spa...ounty-2007.pdf

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

siren's daddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

I know it's not your property, but just putting it out there... if you would like to help prevent that 25 or so cats from becoming 60, 70 or more come Spring, you may want to consider working on trapping them if and when you can. Here is info that may be helpful - it seems there are no cost services available for ferals in your area.

http://www.cahealthypets.com/pdf/Spa...ounty-2007.pdf
Thanks for the link. I'm aware of the services around here. I have spoke to them in the past about the ferals near my home and they are so strapped for cash that its hard to get them to do more then they already are (and they do a lot) . I haven't heard to many people complaining about the cats at my work. So odds are they wont do anything. I had a real hard time trying to get a feral that I trapped that popped out 3 litters on my property fixed. Even though I was going to release her back where she came from.

One of the colonies is in a ranch / dairy area and the owners like the cats as they keep the rats and mice out of the cows feed. There aren't any people that live there so its not a big deal. They all have good shelter and great warm hiding places so there not that bad off. I have been keeping an eye on 3 of my Sirens litter mates and they are growing up healthy and are friends with the family of raccoons that hang out in the same area.

I am going to need to call one of these places soon though to see if I can get any help getting siren fixed considering she was feral born and I'm low income. So thanks again for the link.