Feral cats and fighting

fluffysimba

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you get feral cats neutered do they calm down with their obsession with fighting other cats? I have 2 male cats that I'd like to catch up and take to the vet. One of them has decided to claim us so he'll be easy to grab and take to the vet. I'm just wondering if that would stop some of the hissing around here.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Having them neutered should absolutely cut back on the fighting/territorial issues. I wish you luck in catching them! It's a great thing you are doing!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Call around to local shelters and vets - many will loan or rent a trap, and that is the best, most reliable way to get ferals to a vet!

And yes, it will calm them down considerably!!!! Without those hormones, they won't fight for females, they aren't as territorial, and they don't roam as much.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may take a while, though. Not only do the extra hormones need time to get out of their systems, they're not suddenly going to forget that they don't like or trust each other. Unless you're going to be putting them in a controlled environment - inside or enclosure/cat proof fenced yard, all you can do about that is watch them both very closely for wounds.

I had one, who wasn't feral, but was neutered at around 4 years old. He was still aggressive towards other cats, still fought, sprayed, and was difficult to pet. So it won't fix everything - a cat's core personality will still be there. He lived with my in-laws outside of town and loved to roam around that area.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fluffysimba

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the information. I thought that was so but it's been so long since I had stray male cats around that I just wasn't sure anymore.

I will definitely need a trap for the one stray b/c he's wild. Unfortunately I'm not going to be too thrilled if I catch the opossum visitors instead. Ugh!!!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Opossums are very docile animals and are not a problem to let out of the trap at all. I have no idea how they have the reputation of being vicious, but that is just not the case at all.... though they do love cat food.
Just release the trap open and walk away and you won't have a problem. More worrisome are the raccoons and skunks, but we never actually had a problem letting any of them out (and never got scratched or sprayed).

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Opossums are very docile animals and are not a problem to let out of the trap at all. I have no idea how they have the reputation of being vicious, but that is just not the case at all.... though they do love cat food.
Because they have a lot of teeth and are quite good at putting up a fuss when they're scared (but than, so is a cat). I've seen skunks back down and not even try bothering a opossum.
Of course I've also had them sit a couple feet away from me waiting for some cat food and walked right up to them at let them sniff the flashlight in my hand.