Feral Cat

Cazziekat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello fellow cat lovers, I am new to this site. My wife and I have been a cat family for over 30 years and are for the first time without any cat’s due to the last one passed away recently. We are old adults now but still want at least one cat. Here is the problem. Around 2 month’s a female cat which I am reasonably sure is a feral started hanging around our Home. She was skinny and looked tired and haggard so I began to feed her everyday and was hoping she would warm up to me and become our cat. She is super skidish and always ran away from me, but recently has allowed me to pet her a little but then she runs away. She just sits in front of our house during the day and We live in a wooded area and it is getting cold and she will not come into our house. We have had ferals in the past and they could not wait to come in our house.I set up a cathouse and just purchased a cat warmer but she will not use it. I am totally at a loss as how to get her to come into our home. Any help would be unbelievably appreciated. Than you very much.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Probably the best way to get her into the house is to trap her and then get her right to the vet. You want to be sure she is spayed and also check for kitty diseases (FIV and FELV). Then once home from the vet, you can put her in a kitty proofed safe room. It's best to start the cat in a small space. The biggest issue is often having a bed in the room. Under the bed is the first place a cat will go and skittish cats often won't come out. So be sure the space either doesn't have a bed or put the mattress against the wall or flat on the floor. Also watch out for other large furniture where she could squeeze behind. Blinds and curtains are another factor.

Sometimes when a stray/feral cat first comes inside, they may run around the room frantically trying to get outside. Some even throw themselves against windows. I have had quite a few do this. So keeping the room as empty as possible is best.

We all of lots of other tips and tricks so keep us posted. Step one would be to get a trap and start feeding her in the unset trap. As soon as she is going all the way inside to eat, make the vet appointment. On the morning of or even the night before, set the trap and hope she will trip the trap. Cover the trap and bring her inside to safe place to stay warm and in the trap until the vet appointment. Take along a regular cat carrier for the trip home.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just keep her as an outside cat and get another for inside. The fact that she lets you touch her at all points to her most likely being a stray that got dumped and not a feral. They don't come anywhere near humans and wouldn't be seen watching your house. She could be so scared and hurt by humans she has a lot of trust issues, but over time could be tamed some. If the heated hut is somewhere further from the house,(with an outdoor 100' extension cord) she may use it when it gets really cold. mine don't use theirs until it is below freezing. She may also have shelter somewhere else. If you don't trap her and get her spayed and her shots, she will most likely present you with a couple of litters of kittens next year! They have pretty inexpensive traps at Tractor Supply, around 30.00. I wish you well, and bless you for trying to help her!

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
in 2016 I had (feral/semi-feral?) BUG make a claim on me. Took weeks, but I moved his food closer to my back sliding door, eventually feeding him indoors. Eventually kept him inside, to the vet for fixing, shots, tests. I have other cats, he decided to withdraw from the world and hide in his dedicated room.
Today, indoors 6 years now he's a well behaved, middle aged, mostly indoor cat. The leader of the pack here.

A link to the "meet Buggy" thread....epic thread from '16 with a ton of ups and downs.
meet Buggy

Was it worth all the effort? Yup Would I do it all over again? Yup Should you give it a shot with your feral/stray? Yup

Rross

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I moved into my house, Blossom Joan Crawford was a hissing, scratching, terrified young cat who had been mistreated by the people I’d bought the house from. After a few days of feeding her in an open trap, I set it and rushed her to the local vet where she was checked over - and desexed - an abortion was involved. 11 years on, she’s almost tame and sometimes affectionate. The first time she climbed into my lap, I sat dead still, not wanting her to change her mind and hop down. She stayed awkwardly perched on my knees for a few minutes. These days, she climbs up beside me on the couch every night, puts her front paws on my right knee, and pushes her head under my hand to be stroked. After a couple of minutes she backs away and settles down right beside me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cazziekat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much to everyone who answered my pleas so fast. It makes sense to trap her and then bring her to the vet. I will have to purchase a trap. Again Thank you from my wife and I. I will post an update after I catch her.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have gotten some excellent advice! I just want to add that I had to get members of a feral colony out of harms way and nearly all became social. Most became loving lap cats. It takes time but is well worth the effort. Please keep us updated. If you have a Humane Society , Animal Control or stray/feral group there you may be able to borrow a trap or put a deposit down to use one for short term.