Feral cat won’t eat, watery poop

moreknow

learning to help ferals :)
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
I currently have 25 ferals with me, and i am taking 2 cats to get fixed today Thursday. I was going to take a particular calico/tortie cat because she recently mated but i noticed that she hasn’t ate since Monday. On Tuesday, she wouldnt eat at night, when i always feed them, and she was laying down in this little cathouse i have for them. So i thought “ok maybe tomorrow”, and since i planned on taking cats today to get fixed, i didn’t feed them all day Wednesday because i needed to have the cats hungry so theyd go in the traps,, and i can’t be selective about it..
So after trapping the 2 cats at night, the same calico/tortie was out away from where i usually feed them, and she was walking kinda slow, and then she goes to poop, and it looked like this
22265D4E-197F-4D8E-A3B4-761960878A65.jpeg

It’s that light brownish liquid as opposed to the darker brown leaves.
She’s still able to run away from me and stuff, but i presented her with a Sheba chicken paté , which has a strong scent. But she just sniffed it and went back to the cathouse she was previously at.

i hope it’s nothing major, and idk if i did the right decision of not taking her to get fixed and vaccinated today because maybe it could’ve helped.. again idk
I hope that stool is caused by worms, so i can try to treat it. I am going to the clinic and petco today, What could i do for the time being?

many many thanks,
Uriel

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If she is not enticed by food right now, she might not have gone into a trap regardless and you are right to keep up whatever you can given the number of cats that you care for.

What I am not sure of is whether this is the tip of the iceberg for something which is more serious and coincided with her mating or if it is something minor like cats get into once in a while. If this continues I would try to see what is wrong with her as she has not eaten in going on 5 days that you know of. Does the TNR place also run a veterinary service or can you get her to a vet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
I worry that it might be something worse, but i don't know if it had to do with her mating. She and 3 other cats around the same age were all mating these past 2 months. I went out looking for her an hour ago but she hasn't appeared.. she might be hiding or doesn't feel like moving. I have made TNR appointments for next Thursday, i might change it to a wellness appointment if she appears.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any chance she is actually pregnant and near delivery time? A male could still show her attention. Check closely. She may not be very fat but can still produce a kitten or kittens. A young female may produce small kittens or litters.
It can be worms or other illness. Coccidia is another common thing that causes loose poop. I would definitely try to get her if you are sure she does not have kittens. Keep an eye on where she goes and stays. It’s a fine line on keeping up with her activities without pursuing. A cat with kittens who is pursued will move the kittens. Hopefully she will stay in that house you have set up. Warm Gerber second foods, all meat baby food can lure a sick kitty. Smelly but full of protein. Plain canned puréed pumpkin can help a tummy problem for short term if she will eat it. Bottom line, she needs vet check. KMR might help her. Kitten milk replacement. I don’t know if the loose poop might get worse but hydration is important. Getting fluids in her may help. Observation is going to help a lot. If needed, use some binoculars if you don’t have any form of camera to watch her. Baby monitors have cameras these days but they are not weather proof. Some web cams are fairly inexpensive and extremely helpful when watching ferals. You can always call the vet and ask for advice! I do that whenever I have a worry or a question. If in doubt, check!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
Any chance she is actually pregnant and near delivery time?
I am pretty sure she mated last month, I saw the males chasing her

It can be worms or other illness. Coccidia is another common thing that causes loose poop. I would definitely try to get her if you are sure she does not have kittens. Keep an eye on where she goes and stays. It’s a fine line on keeping up with her activities without pursuing.
I saw a worm in a cat's vomit on the floor, but that was during the time where i was stressed out about the lost kitten so i plan on going after that issue soon. She appeared last night, i found her 'parked' on a window ledge outside when i came home from bringing the 2 ferals from the clinic. She ate a little when i fed everyone, and i threw some pieces of meat (that had little drops of Homeopet digestive upsets) at her, and she did eat, and then i saw her drink some water from the bowl i put

I will try to see if i can isolate her from the other cats and give her some other foods that encourage her eating, but i really need to get a lot of cat supplements and care products soon. One of my indoor cats right now is barely eating, and this has been an underlying issue that i hope to work on soon. Thank you for those recommendations, I'll continue to do my best :D