feral cat with paw issue

teesi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I see where posts say most feral cat's legs seem to heal on their own. My cat keeps right front paw lifted and it looks a little swollen. He lets me touch it and I don't see any open wounds on it. Is there medicine I can give him or just leave him alone to heal. He has 3 other family members that stay around him and they all let me pet them sometimes.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you can get him to a vet, I would do so. Not putting weight on that leg and it being swollen could mean a broken bone or a sprain of some sort. Both can be treated, including pain meds. The issue here is not bringing him indoors while he heals as he is at a great disadvantage against predators with such an injury.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - welcome!
Not as a cure or replacement for a vet visit, but you might add some L-lysine to his food as it helps boost their immune systems.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

teesi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think there is any way I could catch him to get him to a vet. Unfortunately he is too feral to pick up without more injury to him and me.

teesi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - welcome!
Not as a cure or replacement for a vet visit, but you might add some L-lysine to his food as it helps boost their immune systems.
Thank you

teesi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you can get him to a vet, I would do so. Not putting weight on that leg and it being swollen could mean a broken bone or a sprain of some sort. Both can be treated, including pain meds. The issue here is not bringing him indoors while he heals as he is at a great disadvantage against predators with such an injury.
Thank you

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since he is too feral to pick up and get into a carrier, you would need to get a humane trap and trap him to get him to the vet. Has he been neutered? Males that are not neutered will fight with other males for territory. Spaying and neutering is very important.

teesi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since he is too feral to pick up and get into a carrier, you would need to get a humane trap and trap him to get him to the vet. Has he been neutered? Males that are not neutered will fight with other males for territory. Spaying and neutering is very important.
yes he has been neutered and shots 1.5 years ago. I used a humane trap but it was a very difficult time for us both. Thank you for your response.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What about trying to feed him in a larger carrier? I did this with a feral who had previously been trapped. I used a tall and wide carrier and started to feed the cat in the carrier. Each day I put the food back just a bit further. I also would add treats to the back of the carrier during other times of the day. On the day of vet appointment, I put a small amount of food into the back of the carrier. Once the cat went inside, I put a sturdy cushion against the opening and zipped him up.