Feral cat with lower canine falling out

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have given her Metacam today (in her food) because I had that at home. I will try to trap her and take to vet tomorrow but I don't think I will succeed because I have trapped her before for TNR and she is now wary of the trap.
What can I do for her, meanwhile? She must be in pain but she won't let me touch her. I never have. Short term: soft foods which I have because of own senior cat and Metacam once a day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can try but I don't know if it will work. Last year, I trapped two of her foster kittens (long story) and got them homes so she is well aware of the tricks of the trap. ;)
Is it all right to dose Metacam (not the best solution but it is all I have) once a day? She comes once usually and sometimes, twice.

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried today but no luck so far. Regular food, then ham, then sardines. She goes till the entrance of the trap and then starts backing out. I gave up after 2 hours of trying and fed her. She looks like she is in pain but won't let me help her.
Took a picture as best I could of her tooth--you can see it clearly when she meows. Sent it to the vet and now, waiting for answers.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you go closer to the cat? Does she let you go close to her, like to pet her, to serve her a dish of food at arm distance?
If so, you could try with a net, like a fishing net, something very soft and flexible, so no garden or chicken net. If you are able to go close to her with the net in your hands, you could cast it over her, she should get entangled in the net and you could grab her and put her into a carrier.

A drop trap might work better in case she does not allow you to walk close to her, but I guess it is a bit harder to get hold of such a trap.

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The cat will not let me pet her--I've been swatted twice before. I can get close enough to out her bowl down but I do not own a fishing net or any kind of net. I just have a regular trap and that is not working with her. I will keep trying.
The vet called and said to keep her on Metacam once a day but they can't help her if I can't bring her in. So we are at stalemate.

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: After 3 days of trying to trap her, I have given up. I have been giving her Metacam once a day. She has been eating well and has been coming twice a day to eat. I have also mixed some homemade chicken broth into her food so it keeps her warm, at the very least. Today, she came in with her lower front canine missing. There doesn't seem to be any swelling or blood in that area but I can't look closely.
So, the problem is resolved unless an infection develops. I don't know how I will trap her then. She is a Siamese and I suspect she was abandoned. She won't let me pet her though. And she is aggressive to the other two ferals I have outside.