Feral Cat Was Trapped And Injured By Car Engine, Free Now, But What’s The Next Step?

fluffykittens52

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feel absolutely awful. I unknowingly started my car while there was a cat in my engine. The fire department was called and they were able to remove him (had to cut a belt, so my car no longer works, but it’s a better outcome then having to cut something off the cat!). I really couldn’t see him that well, but the fire fighters said that his leg looked really mangled. When he came out, he immediately took off and I wasn’t able to track him down. He left blood from where he jumped down, but there wasn’t a trail for me to follow.
Basically, what should I do next? The cat is very obviously injured and I am willing to do whatever to help him. My neighbor has set traps to hopefully get the cat (though we have a very large feral cat population). Is it even worth trying to trap him since he’s feral and if his leg is broken would there even be anything to do (assuming you can’t cast a feral cats leg)?
Thank you!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry but you are great for caring. There is something you can do if you can find him. He can be treated by a vet. I am so glad your neighbor has set traps to get him. I really hope you do. Cats are extremely tough creatures and if he can be treated, there is every hope he can , not only survive but he could be socialized. I have socialized a very large number of true feral cats. It isn’t true that they won’t become tame. It does take some work but if he is restricted by a hurt leg, in some ways, it may go more quickly. ( he can be in a cast) Kitties tend to be very grateful for help when they are sick or hurt. They are good at figuring out that you are to be trusted. Please do continue to try and find him so he does not suffer needlessly. Also, know that this is a common accident and he may look worse than he is. Stay hopeful. Please keep us updated. Post back with any further questions too. Lots of people here sympathize with you and will want to help.:alright: I think you are a very special person to be more worried about the kitty than your car. I’m very honored to meet someone like you. Welcome to thecatsite. I hope to hear from you again. Thank you for caring! :thanks:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Is it even worth trying to trap him since he’s feral and if his leg is broken would there even be anything to do (assuming you can’t cast a feral cats leg)?
:hellosmiley: fluffykittens52, welcome to TCS!

Yes, it is worth trapping him and bringing him to the vet. The vet can access the situation and take preventive measure in order for a quick recovery and for the cat to survive.

Leaving the cat injured in this manner is vulnerable to him as he is weak and cannot escape from attacks from dogs and the other cats and animals. Also leaving him with such a wound will leave him susceptible to disease and probably death at the end.

If you can, trap him and bring him the vet and after all's done at the vet, keep him in your home and place him in a quiet room which will be his safe room for him to recuperate.

Having him in there while you look after him will give him the best possible chance of survival and also a chance to have a warm and fur-ever loving home if you adopt him.

Whether his legs is going to be healed or be amputated, hopefully not, he'll be in cast and resting in a quiet loving home will be best for him. And throughout this time of care, he'll learn to trust you and with all your love, he'll heal fast. And its a good chance for him to be kept indoors and till he's completely healed, have him neutered or while at the vet to check his leg, ask if he can be neutered at the same time if he is going to be under anesthesia to do any surgery on the leg.

I do hope that you'll take him in and give him a chance to live a peaceful well loved indoor life.

Feel free to ask questions and we are here to help you try answer them.

Last edited:

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
fluffykittens52 fluffykittens52 -- SOOOOOO glad you found this site, and this forum!!!! Lots of people here you can lean on, who are happy to lend an ear and/or shoulder, which often times, makes all the difference in the world!

I know you're getting lots of advice - - -but I'll throw my 2 cents in two. :)

I'll try to keep it short (which for me - will be a miracle!) - - -first - - - try to not let this eat at you - -- I'm sure you feel awful, but know that you didn't do anything wrong! Poor guy was probably looking for some warmth - and your car engine provided what he needed. The only plus going forward - - - you'll probably never forget that you should bang on the hood of the car before you start it in winter. It happens rarely - - - but it does happen, and it's a quick way to get "wayward travelers looking for warmth in your engine - OUT!" I can honestly say it's happened in our family (long doozy of a short story!) - Dad said "no one's here" and promptly ran over my 21-year-old- or close - kitty. Broke my heart. But he never skipped checking a car engine after that!!!!!!

Anyway (sucking at keeping this short - sorry!!!!) - - - - please, first, know it's NOT your fault. Secondly - I'd absolutely 125% try to find her. You don't know if this kitty's feral (not that it matters - - -all animals deserve to feel comfort), and even if all you can do is help with pain, and making final days far more comfortable, that's HUGE! It's also possible this guy isn't feral - -- or is even someone's kitty! But ferals can ABSOLUTELY be helped medically (check out an organization called "tinykittens" - - at TinyKittens Rescue Kitten TV - Rescuing locally, educating globally. . They focus on a large feral colony in a wooded area of British Columbia, and some of the things they do medically with ferals - - -and then the socialization that often occurs too --- often blows my mind!!!!!!). EVERY cat/kitten is worth trying to save if at all possible.

First I'd call your vet to make sure they can look at her (alot of vets aren't equipped to deal with ferals) - - and check w/your local spay/neuter situation - - but DEFINITELY explain this will be more than a routine spay or neuter - that it likely involves what could be a serious leg injury. I'd absolutely set multiples traps in the area if possible(sounds like your neighbor has access to multiples). I'd bait with canned mackerel - -- sells to high heaven, but we have AMAZINg luck luring kitties in with it! Don't leave traps unattended - -- particularly if she's injured. She could injure herself further if she panics and tries to get out). If you CAN catch her, be prepared and IMMEDIATELY cover the trap with a blanket -- -it'll calm her amazingly.

Lastly - - if you DO have to amuputate her leg -- - it's absolutely not the end of the world for her - feral or not. Cats adjust AMAZINGLY well with 3 legs - - it's kind of mind-blowing!!!!!

So keep us posted - -- all is by NO MEANS lost!!!!!! The fact that you care is 75% of her battle!

You're a rockstar for caring - - - - let us know what happens. I'll be thinking of BOTH of you!!!!!!:cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::heartshape::heartshape::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am in Los Angeles, and sure, we have some cold days, but not like the East and my mechanic has run across this situation more than you would think. As was said, it is not your fault and you are so kind to care about what happens to the cat. I agree, try to trap. Even if the closest vet does not really deal with ferals, they can sedate through the cage and at least make an assessment of the leg once the cat is unconscious. I have a dog who lost a leg to melanoma. There is a website called Tripawds or something similar which is for animals who have lost a limb. They are very resilient.