Feral cat to inside cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, I'll be camped out with him anyway. The last time I tried closing the catio (after he stayed in my bedroom from 5 am to 9:30 pm), he went into his little room, discovered that the catio was closed, and yowled until I opened the catio and let him out.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
His little room is a 5x7 hallway that connects my bedroom to my closet. That hallway has the doggie door to the catio in addition to a people door that leads outside. So if he is yowling at night, I won't get any sleep either!
Yeah-I didn't ...Im laughing now but it wasn't funny when I worried the neighbors were going to get woken up..... It goes by quickly though, really and now I barely remember how many nights I spent on the floor next to his 6x6 enclosure

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, I'll be camped out with him anyway. The last time I tried closing the catio (after he stayed in my bedroom from 5 am to 9:30 pm), he went into his little room, discovered that the catio was closed, and yowled until I opened the catio and let him out.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
That's training - he yowls & it gets him out--- he was trained quickly to understand what worked .So it might take a little bit to re- train him that it doesn't work ---- you'll get through it,you proved you are determined so stick to your guns

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you really think if I sleep on the floor next to his little room he will get over it sooner?

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you think Robbie's crying will upset the other cats? Should I keep them away so they don't have to hear it?

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Robbie is home and not so upset that he won't eat the wet food I put in there and he ate some of the kibble too. All four other cats are by the screen door looking at him. Robbie is on top of the chest in there looking out the window. Occasional whining but not constant.

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is a Feliway dispenser in there too.

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Robbie is very quiet. I assume that's because he was sedated and he will get noisy in time?

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you think Robbie's crying will upset the other cats? Should I keep them away so they don't have to hear it?
Nah- don't think so....That's great he's quiet,it's good he doesn't see the catio like before & is more contained- it'll help alot .... Him looking out the window , not banging it and eating his food are all really good things- you're off to a good start and doing great

You really do have to play it by ear ahd take each step as it comes....@tabbytom will tell you how important " scent " is at this point- sight and sound is not but scent is- I'd begin as I saud with leaving him his bed to settle but be sure to have your garments and objects that have your others scents in his room with him- another bed? Toys,blankets,cushions ?Then you can bring one of his beds out to the others & visa versa......

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yay :bliss: :dance::party3:

I think it was a good week or maybe even two-

I do not agree with the Vet - I think Robbie would do better to acclimate to his room first- play it by ear and deal with him adjusting to indoor confinement first and see how tye under the door interactions go......one thing at a time......
I would have to agree. Bella was like the most loving cat to pet, but buddy let me tell you putting her in a carrier was a nightmare! 😜. Bella has been at my house for about a week and she really is a good sport, she has her own room and my other three can see her under the door or they can swat each other and get away. I think it does help to seperate for a bit of time that way they all get use to things. Right now my house is for the most part peaceful, yet we have not opened the doors yet. On a different note Bella can smell stuff a mile away so don't feel like you are alone in that battle.
If you just give them time to decompress things will get easier. I play music for Bella in her room. She has fish TV with relaxing music. Not sure if that is why she is so chilled but she seems to be happy with it. We are here if you need us. YOU HAVE GOT THIS 💜💜💜💜

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tuned in to Direct TV channel 815 last night and let it play Christmas music through the night. I don't know if that helped but we had a quiet night for which I am very grateful. I only get an occasional growl to remind me that he is not happy about all of this.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I tuned in to Direct TV channel 815 last night and let it play Christmas music through the night. I don't know if that helped but we had a quiet night for which I am very grateful. I only get an occasional growl to remind me that he is not happy about all of this.
Calming music or classical music does help. YouTube has lots of calming and relaxing music for cats.

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got the other cats out of the bedroom and opened the screen door so Robbie could get from his little 5x7 room into my bedroom and he came right over to me for petting. He even purred! So he isn't mad at me! What a miracle!

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got the other cats out of the bedroom and opened the screen door so Robbie could get from his little 5x7 room into my bedroom and he came right over to me for petting. He even purred! So he isn't mad at me! What a miracle!
It's just an adjustment. He loves you and you are his human 💜💜💜. I am so happy he came to you ☺😁😁😁😁

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I thought I had all the cats out but my oldest one who I knew would not be a problem, popped out of her igloo and was on the bed looking down at Robbie on the floor next to the bed. She hopped down next to him and went into the bathroom where the food and water is and then went back to her igloo. She and Robbie hardly paid any attention to each other!

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok so now it's very light out and he is whining to go outside so I brought my old girl out of the room and left him in there alone. Hopefully if there is no one to hear him crying he will stop. I should have known it was too good to be true. He IS going to take time to adjust and it IS going to take time to integrate with the other cats so they all get along.

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wonder if I should hang something over the outside french door so he can't see out to the catio. But there is a window in his little room so he can still see outside.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so now it's very light out and he is whining to go outside so I brought my old girl out of the room and left him in there alone. Hopefully if there is no one to hear him crying he will stop. I should have known it was too good to be true. He IS going to take time to adjust and it IS going to take time to integrate with the other cats so they all get along.
And he will & they will!👍Sounds like it's going very well.... Your older girl seems she might be very helpful for you ,it's great they just went about their business-sounds like my Graycie,she does her own thing and doesn't bother anyone