Feral Cat/stray Has Adopted Me

mcollinsx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a question for any cat people out there !
This wonderful sweet cat has been hanging around my house since about July, I thought that maybe she was someone’s cat that was just out for a daily stroll. She is a beautiful black cat and looks well groomed.
Anyways. I posted some things asking if she’s anyone’s cat and heard nothing back she is very skiddish but she seems to really taken to me.
I went out and bought some treats and put a nice comfy blanket out for her on my porch as the colder weather is approaching.
I saw her last night outside on the street late and this morning she was sleeping on the blanket on my porch. She spent the entire day there sleeping. I went and got her some real food instead of just treats and she ate three small bowls of it. I finally decided when I got home at 11 and she was still here to let her inside. She was very hesitant at first. I picked her up and I took her downstairs to my small finished basement.
I have a litter box down there for her and some toys food and water.
She loved being down there with me she was calm and so relaxed loving the petting and the cuddling.
However.
When I left she got quite worried and she is now meowing and scratching at the door,
I don’t know what to do. Do I leave her in for the night ? Or do I let her go outside ?
My plan was to wake up early and let her out.
I am taking her to the vet in the morning I have checked her fur for fleas and she is clean as a whip I checked her ears she looks so healthy. But I am still going to take her to the vet. The only reason I brought her in tonight is it’s cold and pouring rain.

any advice ???
I want to keep her. I just don’t want her to worry tonight. She seems to have stopped meowing.

I guess I have to look at it as what is scarier a night out in the cold rainy wet streets or a night in an unfamiliar place that is warm dry and peaceful.

Jus want to know if I let her outside tomorrow or what ?

Attachments

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Take her to the vet as planned to check if she is microchipped. Are you able to give her free access to your home. She could have been crying because she wanted to be near you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mcollinsx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Today I am giving her free access I have my dog in the bedroom with the door shut. I have a vet coming to my house Monday, they told me how to check for fleas. They said it may be too stressful on her first day to have a vet experience. I opened the patio door and she took two steps outside and then came right back in. She has been exploring today and now she has found her throne. She has been now sleeping all morning in the chair she has claimed as her own !

Attachments

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She's quite a beautiful girl! You're just WONDERFUL for taking her in as part of your family! Although it sounds as though she chose you :) ....not sure you stood a chance of saying "no." ;) And she's obviously not a feral kitty - - it sounds as though she definitely was someone's kitty at some point. Since you've worked hard to find if she's got a family and is lost - - - then it's highly likely she's been dumped by someone who no longer wants her. You're doing the best possible thing for her by bringing her in off of the streets!

I'm glad you're getting her vet checked asap - -- it's so important. And how wonderful to have a vet come to your place vs what could be a stressful visit to a vet! Wish we had someone local who made house calls!

It doesn't sound as though you have any other cats? Because I wouldn't let her have free roam inside with a cat you already have until the vet checks her out, as several diseases can be passed along cat to cat, some of which are quite serious (and even some of the serious ones can be managed, but it's just easier to avoid contact unit you know for sure your beautiful black girl is healthy). But she looks very healthy!!! Just better safe than sorry!

As far as your dog - - what kind of dog is she/he? Any exposure in the past to kitties? If not - that is something you'll have to monitor for awhile until you're confident they can safely be together.

I can't recommend strongly enough that she stay a 100% indoor kitty. Cats that live indoors 100% of the time live far, FAR longer, healthier lives. Outside she faces so much that can harm her, from traffic to dogs to other cats to even people who don't want cats around (a VERY short version of my experience of that - - - -we ended up bringing inside permanently an adorable little feral kitty that was part of a large feral colony that we had TNR'd earlier - - she had become very attached to us and then someone in our neighborhood decided there were "too many d*** cats" in our neighborhood and began poisoning them one by one. And now she has become the love of our life!). Totally inside is totally safer!!!!

It's possible she'll fuss periodically to go outdoors (or not - - - - sounds like her only fussing has been when she couldn't get to you!!!! :itslove:). But that will stop, even if she does it just a bit in the beginning days here. Please DO make sure that she's spayed (the vet can check when he/she is there) and if not, spay her immediately. Spaying will be better for her AND you, as spaying too will help her live a longer life in many ways. She won't go into heat (during which she'll likely cry VERY loudly to go outside and find a mate when in heat - - and it's not a quiet, soothing meow - - it's a looooouuuuuud yowl - - not fun!). She'll also avoid some health risks that can happen to unspayed females. So in all ways - - - spaying's the best for you AND her!

So congrats on the new (inside) love of your life ----I think I can say we're all SO glad she chose you -- you sound very compassionate!

And keep us posted!!!!!!