Feral Cat Sick

charlotteda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A kitten has come to my home (6 -8 mos old). Very friendly boy, skinny. I made a vow of NO MORE outside cats. However, we have a barn, with hay and mice. My husband wants to let the kitty be a barn cat. I said ok, if he hangs around for a couple of weeks I will take him to the clinic for rabies, worming and basic shots.

He has been here 7 days and now he is sick. Thin, weak, not eating for the last 24 hrs. I saw his poo day before yesterday no diarrhea. No nasal or eye discharge, no coughing. His gums may be pale. Worms ?

I live in a small rural town. I ran up to Ingles and bought some over the counter wormer this morning and dosed him before work. The local vet is outrageously expensive and we have not clinics. I cant afford to spend $200 on this feral kitty. But I do want to help him. Any advise on how to keep him going until the wormer helps, if that is the problem.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he eating anything? I'd offer him some canned kitten food, and (as much as I hate kibble), I would offer him all the kitten kibble he wants to eat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charlotteda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today he wont eat anything. He smelled it and I put some on my finger but no. I was worried about hydration.

charlotteda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wish I has some nutrical but I do not. I would guess he is about 6 pounds

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you bring him into the house, perhaps quarantine him in a bathroom? I would try to syringe some food and water into him if he isn't eating anything.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he drinking any water? You might add some homemade Pedialyte to his drinking water, or I would try syringing it into his mouth.

1 quart clean water (no chlorine or fluoride)
1tablespoon sugar or honey
1 teaspoon common table salt

charlotteda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I sure wish I knew some vet tecs. I am afraid to bring him in. I have a 1 yr old cat that I rescued from a kill shelter last year. I stopped at Ingles on the way home and got some tuna in canned water and a can of smelly friskies chickens and liver.
He would not eat but using a syringe I was able to put some in the side of his mouth and he swallowed maybe 3 mouthfuls. Planning to try to repeat in a couple hours.

charlotteda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is he drinking any water? You might add some homemade Pedialyte to his drinking water, or I would try syringing it into his mouth.

Thank you

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sure wish I knew some vet tecs. I am afraid to bring him in. I have a 1 yr old cat that I rescued from a kill shelter last year. I stopped at Ingles on the way home and got some tuna in canned water and a can of smelly friskies chickens and liver.
He would not eat but using a syringe I was able to put some in the side of his mouth and he swallowed maybe 3 mouthfuls. Planning to try to repeat in a couple hours.

It's good he swallowed the food. Watch to make sure he isn't vomiting (that's where it would help if you could bring him indoors for observation). If you can get at least 200 calories into him one way or another, he should get enough nutrition to "perk up" in the next day or two. Fingers crossed!

charlotteda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much. I will continue to bother him every couple hours till bedtime. If he doesnt hide LOL. I have a nice kennel that I put him in out in the barn but he really hates it and I was afraid the stress was too much.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Sorry, I hate to contradict, but I've never seen this mixture ratio. . .the usual recommendation is 6 teaspoons (2 tablespoons) of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. I know it's important to get the ratios right or it will make dehydration worse so I felt like I had to chime in here. Oral Rehydration Solutions ORS Made at Home - Rehydration Project

(Improvement note: if you have or can get some salt substitute (potassium chloride), add 1/2 tsp of that, too. If you have "low-sodium salt", which is usually 1/2 sodium and 1/2 potassium, use a full tsp of that instead of salt and potassium)

Anyway, yes, use a dropper to get some fluids into him, and if possible get some meat baby food (just meat, no spices like garlic or onion) and water that down until you can dropper that into him too. Or you could cook and puree the meat yourself, of course, he just needs some protein to get his strength up. Sometimes they just need a few days of support to get over what ails them, sometimes a vet is needed.

Last edited:

charlotteda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone so much. I worked with him all day Monday. He seemed to feel not quite as bad Tuesday but still very weak so I kept him in a kennel in the barn for safety. Let him out this morning and he ate a pretty big breakfast. Did want alot this afternoon. He is drinking well and has a little more pep.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh good. He should be OK. I frequently have situations where cats have a "bad day" although it's usually more like 3 or 4 days. They don't eat or drink and I feel like I have to gove them fluids to prevent dehydration. It seems like that's not normal because a wild cat would probably die but then again maybe they wouldn't. I don't know. But glad to hear he's feeling better!

charlotteda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I have been working with Kittytom all week. He is definitely better than early week. He has a little appetite and is eating friskies liver wet food and some kibble. Using the potty and drinking water. I spoke with a vet and she asked about fleas. I dont see alot of fleas on him but he has flea dirt especially on his tail ! I have never seen so much flea dirt on a cats tail. I carefully rubbed some good grade DE on him, careful to keep it out of his eyes and nose. He is still lacking pep but doesnt seem near death like Monday. BUT now he has a discharge from his eye, it is weird - sort of a red gelatin goo. I cant see any wound. Any suggestions ? I really want to help him if I can but a vet trip is not an option. Thanks so much. View media item 419303

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
It's probably the part of a cat cold. you can get some powdered lysine and add to the wet food-just put it in a tiny amount of hot water first-it will dissolve better. Lysine helps interrupt the RNA virus from replicating. It doesn't kill the cold virus-but it stops it from replicating. Lysine is also good for the heart. I use amazon and buy "NOW!" brand in powder-comes in 1lb jar-it lasts me a year or more. I give 1/4" teaspoon daily. You can ask the vet if you want-most vets recommend this-you don't have to do it forever-about 2 weeks at a time=daily dose of 1/4-1/2 teaspoon-I always saw results from 1/4" tsp.

The other thing you can do-a wet cloth and gently wipe the eyes. The vet may have eye drops you can treat if it's getting worse. Ask them about cream/drops for the eyes.

Terramycin Antibiotic Ophthalmic Ointment

Tractor supply also sells this. The ointment can be used for 7-14 days-depends on what the vet says. Most times after the 3rd day of using ointment you will see improvements-just try to do the entire treatment. I think it's twice/three times a day-I always did twice a day-my cat hated it but oh how soothing the ointment is on irritated eyes.