Feral Cat Shelter

skor220

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ronkonkoma, NY (suffolk county; Long Island)
I am a volunteer working for Guardians of Rescue and Save-A-Pet on Long Island, New York (suffolk county). I work solely within the feral program.

I am currently working a very LARGE project at a large apartment complex which contains more than 10 courtyards, each with a feral population.

I need to make lots of shelters to place in the wooded areas between courtyards. I am searching for used styrofoam salmon shipping boxes. The cats enjoy these the best (they smell yummy) and the length is ideal for burrowing in against the cold. They are also discreet placed properly (important to the human residents).

If anyone has information that could help me obtain used styrofoam salmon shipping boxes (to make shelters out of) I would be EXTREMELY GRATEFUL.

PM me for my contact information.

Please write "Salmon Shelter" in the subject

Thank You for taking the time to read this post,
Chriss

Last edited by a moderator:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for taking care of the ferals! I wish I could help you find a souce for those boxes, but unfortunately I don't even know where to begin to look for something like that. I hope somebody will be able to help you.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of salmon boxes before, but I have another idea for you. There is a shelter that you make out of plastic bins, one larger one with foam insulation and a smaller one with straw.
Like this: http://www.pawesome.net/2010/07/diy-feral-cat-shelters-pet-projects/

You could buy them in pretty colors or decorate them so they wouldn't be an eye sore for the (human) residents.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

skor220

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Minka,

There are many wonderful ways to make efficient feral cat shelters, indeed. Thank you for your suggestion. I have these type and other shelter types at my own colony.

The styrofoam salmon shipping cooler makes the most durable shelter and are also much easier to construct when making MANY shelters.

I thought it couldn't hurt to inquire about these boxes. I can get a few at supermarkets and wholesale fish stores.

Still, any info on how I might obtain more of them is still very much welcome.

PM me for my contact information.
- Chriss

Last edited by a moderator:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I only receive styrofoam boxes when I order my frpzem raw cat/dog food! Not sure where you can find them otherwise but wanted to say THANK YOU :thanks: for all your efforts to help feral cats. :clap::clap: :heart3: My sister lives in Seattle and goes down to the PIkes Market where they have all of the fresh fish markets. You might have already looked for something like that in NY, but if not, fish markets might have what you are looking for.

Last edited:

skor220

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wonderful idea! I checked online and found 1 semi-local fish store. Thank you!

My mom also orders steaks and I've made shelters from those coolers. They are a bit smaller than the salmon boxes, but the kitties are sleeping in them all the same.

I love this website. You guys are super helpful - THANK YOU.

-Chriss

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kind of off topic, but I contacted GOR about a problem I had of 2 abandoned pets cats by email, I also live in Suffolk (west babylon), do you know how long it usually takes for them to read emails?

I also care for 4 feral cats ( well all but 1 are strays actually) but lately last year one went missing and my neighbors expressed their hatred towards me feeding cats, its horrible here. I bought 2 dog loos from Petsmart and loaded them with straw and bought the door flap to be put on, so far the houses are dry and warm, but if someone can't afford to buy them the shelters your making work good to I used to use them.

I get my straw at Stables garden center in Deer Park.

Last edited:

skor220

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Firstly - I want to say that your compassion for the homeless cats is wonderful.

About GOR - I am a volunteer and I work solely on trapping. The only time I see an office or a computer is when I am walking passed a desk at a vet clinic to drop off or pick up a feral. I have no knowledge of emails and who is keeping up with then.

I am very sorry that I can not be of any help with respect to your question.

Best of luck to you :)
- Chriss