• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tdiving

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Goodmorning

Well Shadow and Muse seem to be settling down after his galavanting

Wonder if you can advise on something else

Muse,our maine coon ,has a tendency towards allergies.She used to have sneezing fits,but changing her litter and treats has improved that a lot.

However,she still has liquid seeping down her left sid of her nose from her eye--the vet says that this is not serious.

However,now the left nostril is blocked by what appears to be dry mucus---the nostril hole is actually larger than the right side.

Do you have any suggestions as to how we can  clear out this nostril ???

Thank you

Tony and Kat Wynne-Roberts

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Glad Shadow and Muse are settling back in.  As far as the differences in nostrils and one side being plugged... we had to have Snowy's nasal passages xrayed because she has such chronic sinus issues and not only is one side a different size, inside, they are shaped different too.  We use saline drops.  We got them from the bet, but he said they are basically eye drops a simple sterile saline solution, no medication, but it helps to loosen congestion and clean out the nasal passages - don't see why you wouldn't be able to use it just on one side.  To administer it is best to cradle her on her back and put 1-2 drops in her nose and then if you can get her to stay on her back for a minute or two to give the drops time to work their way to the back of the nasal cavity that is best.  If she will not let you hold her on her back, see if you can have her sitting with her back to you, up against your body and just tilt her head up.  Fair warning, and I did not know this till my vet pointed out, if you put a cat on their back, they tend to sneeze.  Not exactly pleasant with a congested cat, but good for kitty to clear out her nose!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tdiving

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Godmorning

Thank you  for your reply.

Both Shadow and Muse are ex-feral rescue cats (siblings) and there is absolutely no way we can administer drops to her nose.

I am waiting for a sedative from the vet.When she is sedated,we will try to remove the blockage from her nostril---other wise ,we will transport her to the vet while she is sedated---it is like going to war to try and get them into a cat box.

This is the one area that we fell down on with our beautiful cats,we should have got them used to getting into a cat box for transporting----oh well.

The twice that we have tried to transport them,has led to lots of screams ,lots of stress (human and cat),and lots of scratches and some bites,(cat caused to human).

leschatleschat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So glad Shadow came back! Two thoughts, for what they're worth: Maybe it's not too late to get your cats at least a little used to the cat box by leaving it out with treats in it. And if you feed a grain-free food, your kitties will be less likely to have congested noses & sinuses. I find with my own cats, a high-grain diet is a virtual guarantee that they will have congestion & respiratory issues, not to mention eye-boogers.

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Godmorning

Thank you  for your reply.

Both Shadow and Muse are ex-feral rescue cats (siblings) and there is absolutely no way we can administer drops to her nose.

I am waiting for a sedative from the vet.When she is sedated,we will try to remove the blockage from her nostril---other wise ,we will transport her to the vet while she is sedated---it is like going to war to try and get them into a cat box.

This is the one area that we fell down on with our beautiful cats,we should have got them used to getting into a cat box for transporting----oh well.

The twice that we have tried to transport them,has led to lots of screams ,lots of stress (human and cat),and lots of scratches and some bites,(cat caused to human).

​LOL, Glad you are not biting your cats!