Feral cat ran off, any suggestions?

tdiving

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry to break into the conversation

We have 2 rescued cats (siblings)Because they were feral,we have kept them inside for 3 years.

This weekend ,one got out of the house and took off.I tried to catch him but he panicked and bit my hand.I gave him a smack on his shoulder(I have never lifted my hand to either of my cats and I feel ashamed---but just a stupid reaction.)

Since then we have not seen him.We have his litter box and 2 or 3 pieces of clothing outside.

For the last 2 days ,we have walked around the immediate neighbor hood,calling his name and shaking his treat package--no response.

We are not sure now if he is just having fun--or stuck somewhere,petrified.Unfortunately ,he will not allow anyone to pick him up.We have sort of reached the stage ,that ,we will just hope that he makes his way home to us and his sister !!!!!

Any suggestions would be welcome

Tony Wynne-Roberts

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you have pictures of the missing cat, you can try posting that on social media like facebook, craigs list. Also email the photo to local vets and animal shelters in case the cat was picked up.  You can also post flyers around your neighborhood and ask people to call if they spot the cat, not if they catch it... at least you can have an idea where to look.

Are you siblings spay/neutered?  chipped?  Hopefully if they are chipped you will get a call if someone rescues them (or if they are found injured along the roadway). 

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You may need to trap him.  If he's been trapped before, it might take awhile.

Put food in the trap - and only in the trap - for a few days with the trap tied open.  He will get used to the idea of the trap being open and be lulled into a false sense of security.

After a week or so, untie the trap and let it spring shut.  He'll be upset but is a lot safer inside.

If you can, set up a video or trail camera and record the comings and goings around the trap.  If you see any other critters, suspend trapping for a bit.

Having his litter box outside is an excellent idea!

You can also try calling him at night.  He may be hunkered down during the day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tdiving

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reply---we are doing all you suggest--unfortunately not chipped--we were only offered that later

in the game--it was almost impossible to get them into cat boxes to take to the vet--also we felt,as they would always be indoor,there would be no problem---we didnt allow for accidental release .

Thanks again---Tony and Kat Wynne-Roberts

tdiving

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reply---we are trying to trap him but,every cat in the neighborhood seems to like our home so its going to be a  frustrating time of catch and release---but we will try anything to get our angel back !!!!

Thanks again

Tony and Kat Wynne-Roberts

tdiving

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good morning

Not sure what a drop tap is,or that Shadow would stay in one spot log enough.

An interesting turn of events.This morning ,at 4 am ,I saw Shadow--he is under a neighbors house.The neighbor has about seven cats (outside cats)and he leaves food all over the place---to make it more complicated,he also feeds a number of raccoons.

Because of this,it is almost impossible to feed Shadow only .

Add to this,the fact that he is very resistant to me setting a trap as he is concerned that,one of his cats may get trapped and when set free,may run from its home.

At least Shadow looks healthy and he is probably eating some of the food left by the neighbor---however,where to go from here???

Tony and kat wynne-roberts

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A drop trap is a wire box, set up on a pole.  Food is placed under the box.  A length of twine is tied to the pole and when the cat goes under the box to eat, the twine is pulled, the pole is yanked out and the box drops over the cat, trapping him.  The trap has a doorway so that the cat can be transferred into a smaller, portable crate.  They are pricey, so buying one probably isn't an option.  Some rescue will rents theirs out.

You can also modify the use of a large dog crate.  Tie the twine to the door, then loop it through the top of the crate, leaving the door wide open.  Put the food at the back and when the cat goes in, slowly pull the twine to close the door.  Another person hiding close by can run to secure the door before the cat realizes its trapped.

Can you speak to the neighbor about our trapping plays and assure him or her that you only want to get Shadow?  I would tell him if one of his cats is trapped on your property, it most probably would run back home and never return to you!

It sounds like Shadow may already have integrated into his colony.   If so, perhaps you can begin assisting the neighbor with the colony - medical needs (spay/neuter if needed), vaccines, food, perhaps some shelters.

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not sure what to say.  If the cat is next door, he isn't really "lost" he is being difficult, or making a choice to be an outdoor kitty...  It would be nice if all our rescues were grateful for being rescued but sometimes that's just not the case. And once a cat gets outside, even my babies who I carry around all the time will run from me if you try to approach... Since you know where he is pretty much hanging out, if the sibling is amenable to being on a leash, you could take the sibling out in the yard and see if Shadow will come to pay a visit.  (Or if the other cat would be okay with being in a carrier or trap... it could coax Shadow back over.  I also recommend you sit outside and talk to shadow or do, eat, drink, something shadow is likely to associate with you. I am a smoker... if one of my cats goes missing, that is the first thing I do is go outside and smoke a cigarette... even cigarettes have different smells...  I also take a cup of coffee with me.. I drink Folgers Mocha Swirl and the cats always come in when I make my morning coffee, and while its brewing, they get fed - so these are smells they associate with hanging out with me.  Finally, does shadow have a favorite toy or game you play together?  The laser light is a Puffy Cat magnet, Theo can't resist anything on a string, and Tatiana is a slave to the Temptations bag.  Butter cup just needs to hear a pop top to come running.  I just think you will have better luck trying to get Shadow to come to you. You did not mention if Shadow is neutered or not, but if he is intact, then I am afraid he will probably be more of a guest than a resident as he must answer the call of nature.  Its just so weird to me that after 3 years he would adapt so readily to an existing cat colony when his territory is so close. Good luck with Shadow.

tdiving

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Goodmorning

Shadow is fixed and has had all his shots.

e were surprised by his leaving as well and I am afraid we got a little reckless bringing things into the house without checking on the cats----before,he has gone to the door but no further.

I strongly advise people not to become complacent with their indoor cats.

Also,I am not sure what effect the smack I gave him when he bit me,will have on him---I am ashamed of that as I have never struck a pet before.

We will try this weekend to trap him but,we have to contend with 7 other cats and a number of raccoons in the immediate area-----funny,I have always liked the cats and the raccoons---now they are a problem !!!

Tony

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your reaction was normal.  I doubt in the long run he will hold it against you.  He may be annoyed at you for trapping him but he'll get over that, too, once he's settled in again.

Good luck!

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Agree with Ondine, that was a normal reaction to being bit.  I don't advocate abusing animals, but I don't really think you knocked Shadow halfway across the room or anything, you don't seem the type.  I picture it being more of a sharp little tap, and even cats delivery smacks to each other when one is out of line, at least mine do.  I agree too about not becoming complacent with out indoor kitties... you never know when or how they might get out.  A friend coming to visit, carrying in shopping or out garbage, a window screen getting popped our or a hole in it. 

Good luck this weekend.  Maybe Shadow will be tired of the freedom and won't be too hard to trap.  :)

tdiving

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi

One of those 1 step forward and 2 steps back kind of day.

Saw Shadow walking across our backyard.Called his name and shook his treat bag,to no avail--just kept walking.

Almost as if he has forgotten us and his sister and has started a new life-----that tugged at the heart strings ...........

Tony Wynne-Roberts

tdiving

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Goodmorning

Here we have a strange situation--even for a soap opera.

I set up a lot of food/treat/catnip plates around and on the porch.Also,set the porch cat door to only open inwards.

Lo and behold----in walks Shadow at about 10 pm last night.

He did try and get out again,but after some stroking and talking too,settled down.Muse treated him as a stranger,hissing and spitting at him.

We got through the night without a fight--Shadow on our bed most of the night,demanding attention and purring.Muse ,no where to be found !!!

This morning,Shadow walking around chirping as if he wants to go outside(we have opened the side porch door so he can look out,

Muse ,still treating him as an unwanted stranger,spitting and growling when he is within sight.

........and 2 very confused humans wondering ,what is going on !!!!

Do we let him become a indoor/outdoor cat,ansd will Muse accept him back ???---I thi nk we should go out for the day and see what happens ????

Thank you for your very appreciated interest

To ny and Kat Wynne-Roberts

tdiving

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Goodmornng

Well,Shadow is now home although he is chirping as if he wants to go out again.

I have cleaned his coat with a wet rag and brushed him.
Also,I have rubbed a little cat nip into both cats coats.

At the moment ,all is quiet,Shadow fast asleep above my computer and Muse resting(some what restlessly ) in the other room.

We will see how the day progresses

Tony Wynne-Roberts

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would keep him inside.  Multiply the worry you had this past few days by 1,000 and that's probably how you feel if you let him out and he disappears again.

I would work on getting he and Muse to live together.  Playing with them together is good - wands toys are a good intro.  I'd use two and allow them to mix it up.  If they get overstimulated, slow things down or stop.

Bathing him was a good idea - I'd check for fleas, too.  Has he seen the vet recently?  Perhaps a quick check-up wouldn't hurt.  The vet can give him a topical parasite treatment (like Revolution) and check him for worms, too.

If he hasn't been combo-tested, I'd do that, too.  If he has something, you will want to know  If he doesn't, you will want to know!

Outside life can be so dangerous, I just don't think its worth the worry to let him out.

If the chirping continues, maybe you can enclose the side porch or build a small catio?

tdiving

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Goodmorning

Well,we got through another night with only a few growls from the little girl.

Shadow (the renegade) cannot get enough attention from us.He flops over and purrs at the drop of a hat and seems to be losing the need to go

back outside.

Its sad for him that,his sister wont accept him and growls at him.He shows no sign of aggression at all---but she wont have any of it at the moment.

We dont want to take him to the vet at the moment as,getting him into a cat box is a major source of stress for him.

Later today I will apply fles stuff to him.

I have inspected him and see no sign of any fleas or damage---

Luckily,we have a fairly large house so,the 2 babies can stay apart comfortably if they wish.

We let him out on our side porch which is enclosed by glass windows--he didt seem to want to go any futher.In fact,he came indoors fairly promtly

We both go to work today,so we will see what transpires when we are not here

tdiving

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think Muse is afraid of Shadows weird smell and the fact that he is bigger than her---so she is wary for the moment

A bright light at the end of the tunnel----

Although I made 2 litter boxes for them,they are sharing the one box.

Also ,I have a window (with bronze insect netting fitted),that I leave open in the evening---they were both sitting at the window,about 1 foot apart.

We dont fuss over them at all,talk in a quiet voice to them and give them both affection if they come to us.

Soooooo,maybe a happy home soon

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like things are settling down.  Most of our cats co-exist.  None of them is fond of the other and there is no grooming.  And there are brother/sister pairs among them.  Who knows.

Vibes being sent all goes well.

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Glad Shadow made it back home.  I think it is normal how Muse is reacting.  They say cats can shun each other if one even goes to the vet and comes back smelling different... Mine will sniff each other really good, but so far they haven't ostracized anyone for having to go to the vet.  With Muse and Shadow though, Shadow was out galavanting about with other kitties, and was gone a couple days... I think in a couple more days, they will sort it out.