Feral and Fleas

ruey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have a way of treating fleas on ferals?  I feed 4 or 5 different ones that come into my yard and I want to try to keep the fleas and ticks at bay.

Thanks

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Does anyone have a way of treating fleas on ferals?  I feed 4 or 5 different ones that come into my yard and I want to try to keep the fleas and ticks at bay.

Thanks
Diatomaceous earth can be added to their food as well as sprinkled around their bedding.  This will only help with fleas.  As for ticks you will need a topical flea/tick product such as Frontline.  To apply this you need to be able to handle the cats. http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

Thank you for caring about the feral kitties.  I hope that you have taken the time to spay/neuter them as well.  If not the 4 or 5 will turn into 50 before your very eyes.  By feeding the stray/feral cats, and not spaying/neutering you are making the cats very healthy so that they can reproduce over and over.  The kindest thing to do is TNR ( Trap Neuter Return).  This is where you trap the kitties in a humane trap, take them to be spayed/neutered where they will be ear tipped ( universal sign that a feral cat has been spayed/neutered) and then you can return them to their original home and continue caring for them.  They will love much happier lives without hormones coursing through their body.  The male cats will not fight or wander and the females will not have to go through endless pregnancies.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ruey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi

Thank you for your feedback.  I will try the diatemaceous earth.  I have used it before with my dog.  I understand it must be food grade to be safe.  Unfortunately they are strictly feral and I cannot handle them or even get close to most of them.  A couple already have their ears tipped, but that is my plan to get a have a heart trap and work on having the others neutered if I can trap them.  

I am also planning on purchasing nematodes to spray in the yard.  I have heard some terrific stories about how they control the flea and tick population where applied.