Feral 6 week olf kitten

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kittens are a lot easier to introduce than adult cats but they still need time to adjust to one another. When they are together, just watch that they don't hurt one another. At this age, that shouldn't be a big problem, but be cautious. I wouldn't leave them alone together until you are sure they're getting along OK.

And go easy on the yogurt. By the time they are a year old, most cats are lactose intolerant, so you don't want them getting used to yogurt. Use chicken baby food instead. (just make sure it doesn't have any onions in it)

Marmaduke is as precious as Gibbs!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

disculpe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Things are not going well with gibbs, he is going violent with the kitten, folowing it to a corner and then hitting it as soon as it tries to moove while growling and spitting.

When he is not with Marmaduke he starts meowing and looking for it, even ignoring his cotton ball, he is definitely not happy, but he is more defensive than ever :(

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok, separate them and start over again. Rub them each with opposite ends of a towel. Put the towel under the door separating them and feed them - put Gibbs' side of the towel under Marmaduke and vice versa. Feeding them or giving them treats on the other's scent will help them associate the scent with something positive.

Gibbs may be playing but if he hasn't learned what's too much, he can hurt Marmaduke. They are establishing the pecking order and you don't want Marmaduke to learn to be afraid.

Last edited:

disculpe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Gibbs is a jerk playing, the only he does is spy on Muffin (it ended up being a female) and as soon as it lowers it's guard he run's it up pinning it to the ground and bite it on neck, lower mandible, ear, tummy, leg… while muffin defends itself as it can and make some miserable sound... run away and repeat the process again and again and again, when they get tired they go apart and don't meet until the next session.  

There aren't any wounds we can see and when Gibbs call muffin goes running to him, and they pause when they go to the kitchen to feed or use the box while the other watches. There hasn't been any action of affection and my mother is worried for the little one, she had two domestic cats before and they didn’t play so… violently and neither so often, they go on each other for more than an hour, takes a long nap and goes looking for each other again.

On the other side Gibbs's allowing me to pet him while it feed's his treat food from my crossed legs, thought as soon as it finishes it runs away again and doesn't only comes near to my mother or me when he is hunting on muffin.

Edit: I try to make them play while they are together but it only end up in Muffin distracting itself playing and gibbs taking advantage to attack

Last edited:

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If Muffin is letting Gibbs know when he's gone too far, they should be fine. This is how kittens learn. If you see either of them in distress, please step in and separate them. Just like kids on the playground, they may need an adult to remind them of boundaries.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I understand they DO play and merry themselves, even if these wrestling matches are hard ones.  It is still they are playing.

You have won.    :)

Good luck!

P.s. somebody mentioned youghurt is dangerous for lactose intolerant cats. Nay, itsnt so bad.

Normal cow milk is dangeous for these lactose intolerant, but youghurt is easier to digest, so usually its ok.

Most products from milk are easier then the fluid cow milk.

Goat milk is safe, if somebody wonders.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thanks, Stephan. I thought yogurt was bad for cats, too. Good info to have!
Yeah.  It should be plain, unsweetened youghurt. Turkish youghurt is thus an useful choice.

If you can get such a plain youghurt with bifidus bacteria in, it works as a nice basic probiotic too.   :)

If you want to give youghurt but cant get plain unsweetened youghurt, so less bad with sugar in it, then chemical sweeteners.

And of course, better with full fat than low fat.

disculpe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thing's are going fine. Gibbs is beeing more diurn and thanks to Muffing we are seeing more of him.

Though he still won't let us get close he won't bullet out of a room when you enter.

Here they are falling asleep after playing