Fentanyl patch for kitten after spay?

SoftAries

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've heard a lot of negative things about this drug and was surprised when the vet said they would send my 6mo old home with the patch after get spay appointment today. I've never heard of it until now.

Just checking how normal this is, and if anyone knows how safe it is.

TIA

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Personally, I have never heard of this for a cat/kitten. Last time one of mine went in for a dental and had several teeth pulled, they gave him a long lasting pain injection which lasted for about four days and he appeared to be stoned out of his head, but it wasn't Fentanyl, not was it a patch. How would they keep a patch on a kitten anyway? It wouldn't stick to fur, and if they put it on her belly where they shaved her for the procedure, she could get to it and tear it off :dunno:

All that being said, I just googled it and did see where several Vets use this means for pain control in cats, however, most of those articles were several years old.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've heard a lot of negative things about this drug and was surprised when the vet said they would send my 6mo old home with the patch after get spay appointment today. I've never heard of it until now.

Just checking how normal this is, and if anyone knows how safe it is.

TIA
I have never heard of this and would be uncomfortable with it until I knew more.

catoblepas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had many animals neutered and never had this happen. Last cats I had neutered were done 2 years ago. None of the dogs or cats I've had neutered/spayed have seemed to need it either. Definitely odd.

Also: Painkillers can cause intestinal problems in cats. My boy had a chipped tooth and the doc prescribed a mild opioid. Next thing we know, the cat has a "sourceless" ilius. Sourceless oin that there were no foreign things in is tract. His poor belly got so swollen. We stopped medicating him, he got better. Only learned through later research about this risk.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi SoftAries SoftAries !

A fenatyl patch is a safe and effective, long-acting opioid pain control medium. They are usually effective for 3-4 days. They've been used for many years now, a long history of successful, safe use. Meantime, as newer forms of long-acting analgesics have come to market, the pain patch's 'popularity' seems to have lessened.

I've had it used a number of times. One of its benefits was its sedative side-effect - exactly what's desirable during post-surgery recovery. [some of the latest long-acting opioids, otoh, often cause extreme excitation]

Unfortunately, the word "fenatyl" has become synonymous with current substance abuse in society - could that be the source of what you've heard?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SoftAries

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for the replies! You're all angels for your time. I'm definitely on the fence too. B catoblepas catoblepas you mentioned issues with painkillers, which is actually a problem I had with a feral kitten we had spayed. She really did not do well with the oral medication either and I had to address the issues it caused for weeks after she healed. Not the kind of stress needed during such a sensitive time for sure.

Hi SoftAries SoftAries !

A fenatyl patch is a safe and effective, long-acting opioid pain control medium. They are usually effective for 3-4 days. They've been used for many years now, a long history of successful, safe use. Meantime, as newer forms of long-acting analgesics have come to market, the pain patch's 'popularity' seems to have lessened.

I've had it used a number of times. One of its benefits was its sedative side-effect - exactly what's desirable during post-surgery recovery. [some of the latest long-acting opioids, otoh, often cause extreme excitation]

Unfortunately, the word "fenatyl" has become synonymous with current substance abuse in society - could that be the source of what you've heard?
I'm glad to hear that there's history behind it at least! It gives me some comfort. The calming effect does make sense too. I do know I have read quite a few stories about oral opioids causing hyperactivity, which also had me stressed.
I feel like there's no escaping some sort of bad side effect to a degree, even down to gastrointestinal issues.

And yes, I live near La and the fentanyl fear has been quite intense. Recently there have been advertisements going around stating how the tiniest amount can kill your child, which is why I was immediately terrified of the idea of a small kitten getting a patch.

I guess I also got a little terrified when I read that it could be pretty disastrous if the kitten managed to rip it off, however she is getting a recovery suit put on. I'm just a little nervous as she has a sister that I'm also worried about getting to the patch. But that could just be me overthinking. I just want her to recover well and avoid complications, but again I feel that may not be 100% doable when pain meds are involved.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you all so much for the replies! You're all angels for your time. I'm definitely on the fence too. B catoblepas catoblepas you mentioned issues with painkillers, which is actually a problem I had with a feral kitten we had spayed. She really did not do well with the oral medication either and I had to address the issues it caused for weeks after she healed. Not the kind of stress needed during such a sensitive time for sure.

I'm glad to hear that there's history behind it at least! It gives me some comfort. The calming effect does make sense too. I do know I have read quite a few stories about oral opioids causing hyperactivity, which also had me stressed.
I feel like there's no escaping some sort of bad side effect to a degree, even down to gastrointestinal issues.

And yes, I live near La and the fentanyl fear has been quite intense. Recently there have been advertisements going around stating how the tiniest amount can kill your child, which is why I was immediately terrified of the idea of a small kitten getting a patch.

I guess I also got a little terrified when I read that it could be pretty disastrous if the kitten managed to rip it off, however she is getting a recovery suit put on. I'm just a little nervous as she has a sister that I'm also worried about getting to the patch. But that could just be me overthinking. I just want her to recover well and avoid complications, but again I feel that may not be 100% doable when pain meds are involved.
That was my line of thinking too and it's relieving to know it has been used with success.
For your kitten, the recovery suit should help a lot. Plus, they look so cute in their "one-sies"!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
A patch doesn't seem practical since it won't adhere to fur and cats do get a 5'o clock shadow fairly quickly like people do. I just don't see it sticking well when coupled with a flexable cat. Even a gauze rarly stays stuck as long as it should.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes baby clothes work well if your cat tollerates them. I have had luck with the clear buster sattelite dishes too but haven't had a cat fixed in a few years.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've had kitties spayed for years and I've not administered any pain meds at home. They come home after being given a shot at the vet and that's it.

SoftAries

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had kitties spayed for years and I've not administered any pain meds at home. They come home after being given a shot at the vet and that's it.
I hope this is the case as I don't think they even ended up putting the patch on. I don't see it and on the papers after the listed patch it says (shelter denied). My partner couldn't ask to confirm as the place closed when he picked her up. She's been shaking, but not hiding or anything, I just hope she isn't in pain.

She also freaked out and nearly hurt herself with the cone on, so I removed it for now. This whole spay experience has been rough so far 😔

SoftAries

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That was my line of thinking too and it's relieving to know it has been used with success.
For your kitten, the recovery suit should help a lot. Plus, they look so cute in their "one-sies"!
Unfortunately I don't even think they ended up putting it on her. That patch is stated in the papers, but directly after it it says something about (shelter denied). I tried putting it on her and she cried a few times and was shaking. So I took it off, but then also the cone she started freaking out in violently, so that's off too.

I'm at a loss right now on what to do.

zhuuyeon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately I don't even think they ended up putting it on her. That patch is stated in the papers, but directly after it it says something about (shelter denied). I tried putting it on her and she cried a few times and was shaking. So I took it off, but then also the cone she started freaking out in violently, so that's off too.

I'm at a loss right now on what to do.
Hi there! I recently got my cat spayed too and the first week was rough so I totally get you right now. My cat hated the cone and would fling herself around trying to get it off. We ended up using a donut collar instead and she was far more comfortable in that. Perhaps that could be an option for your cat? We also purchased a recovery suit called Suitical from a pet store to further prevent her licking and rubbing the wound. There are cheaper options on Amazon. Some cats will tolerate it better than others. Mine hated hers at first and even managed to wiggle out of it but she got used to it eventually. Best of luck in your cat’s recovery 🩵

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, a cat spay is the same as a full hysterectomy on a woman. It hurts. For everyone saying their cats did fine without pain meds. Cats hide pain. Just because they survived with their pain and didn’t bring it to your attention, doesn’t mean they didn’t hurt.

Fentanyl is a great drug. At the cat hospital I worked at, we used it all the time as a constant rate infusion for painful cats.

The patch works great, but has drawbacks. It is applied to shaved skin, usually on the cats back. The cat, if they happen to figure a way to remove it and eat it, they have overdosed and that is not a good outcome. If the cat gets that area to warm it can give the cat too much fentanyl. You don’t want anyone or any other pets touching it for fear of a reaction. There are better pain meds available today for a cat to have at home.
It is a great medication for pain in a CRI, but as a patch, it’s to much of a risk in my opinion.

SoftAries

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, a cat spay is the same as a full hysterectomy on a woman. It hurts. For everyone saying their cats did fine without pain meds. Cats hide pain. Just because they survived with their pain and didn’t bring it to your attention, doesn’t mean they didn’t hurt.

Fentanyl is a great drug. At the cat hospital I worked at, we used it all the time as a constant rate infusion for painful cats.

The patch works great, but has drawbacks. It is applied to shaved skin, usually on the cats back. The cat, if they happen to figure a way to remove it and eat it, they have overdosed and that is not a good outcome. If the cat gets that area to warm it can give the cat too much fentanyl. You don’t want anyone or any other pets touching it for fear of a reaction. There are better pain meds available today for a cat to have at home.
It is a great medication for pain in a CRI, but as a patch, it’s to much of a risk in my opinion.
I totally agree about the pain. Which is actually why I'm about to make a new post. After much drama and running around I found out that this patch wasn't even administered among many things I'm not happy about. And she's only been given a 24 hr pain shot from the vet that spayed her.

Fergusboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats get Gabapentin and Onsior (anti inflammatory) to take home after surgery. They've never been given Fentanyl patches (I have adopted many freshly spayed/neutered cats).

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kitties are pretty good at self-limiting when they are in pain. Keep an eye on her incision and make sure that it doesn't become an angry red color, start weeping, or start opening up. Also, if she becomes lethargic, stops eating, starts hiding, or has change in play habits, then get her back to the vet. You can use a baby onesie or even the top of a tube sock if she's small enough as an incision protector.

SoftAries

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kitties are pretty good at self-limiting when they are in pain. Keep an eye on her incision and make sure that it doesn't become an angry red color, start weeping, or start opening up. Also, if she becomes lethargic, stops eating, starts hiding, or has change in play habits, then get her back to the vet. You can use a baby onesie or even the top of a tube sock if she's small enough as an incision protector.
Thank you so much for the advice. I went on a huge reading spree on old posts about spay recovery and continue to read that about the self limiting. It makes sense! I have her on a mild pain killer, so I'm still keeping her to the bathroom until she's off of it. Which she likes as it's where she spent her first 2 weeks with her adopted sister when I adopted her. She's actually finally accepted the cone too, so I can leave her alone. She's interested in jumping still, but she's definitely not mad about the forced rest, again I think because she knows she needs it.