Female vs Male

mindy10

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I have a 4 year old female cat.  she is pretty shy.  We where looking to bring a kitten into the home and was wondering if it would be better to get a male or female.  We would go to a shelter so it will probably already be fixed. Do females and females get along better than females and males?  Any suggestions?  Thanks Mindy

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think getting a cat with a similar personality and interests is more important than gender.  If your cat is calm and a bit reserved you would want to find a kitten that had a similar style.  My favorite cat blog has articles on cat personality types and choosing cats who are compatible.  Here's a link if you are interested.....

http://www.wayofcats.com/blog/cat-types

peachesxo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some people claim that male/male and male/female cat pairings get along better than females with females, but honestly I don't think the cats sex is that much of a determining factor or should be of much concern when picking out a kitten. What you should focus on finding out is if the kitten gets along with other cats and if its personality would be a good match to the you do have, which is going to play a much bigger role in the chances of them getting along than what's down below. That being said they will need to be introduced slowly/properly regardless.

If your cat is shy, like you mentioned, I would try to find a friendly kitten who is on the calmer side (completely calm and docile kittens do not exist, but some are more relaxed than others, so look for that) - a non-aggressor type so to speak. Ask the shelter to show you some kittens who are known to get along with the other cats and let them know about your resident cats personality, they should be able to help in pointing you in the right direction of which would be a good match.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When everyone's neutered the gender matters little, look for a personality that compliments your cat. 

physicsgal981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 2 females (a 6 yr old Siamese mix and a 2 yr old calico) are best friends.  They do everything together.  My 2 yr old came in as a foster and my older cat immediately took her in under her wing.  Since everyone here is altered, sex tends to have very little impact on how we all get along.  So while a lot of people would tell you male - female would be the best combo, in my experience that isn't always true.