Female kittens and heat

sherrylynne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How common is it for a female kitten to reach 7m and show no signs of coming into season? She was born June 02. Granted, we should have had her spayed in December. Due to covid I wound up out of work for 3 weeks(no pay). Hubby wound up on WCB for a month, so income cut literally in less than half. She will be fixed hopefully this month. If not this, guaranteed Feb.
But even so we live in an apt and she has zero chance of getting near an intact male. I do NOT want kittens! I guess given I have had intact females in the past, I am familiar with female cats coming into heat, and Bastet shows no signs of heat at all. No calling, no mating position, no extra affection, nothing. This is something completely new to me. I was actually concerned initially about waiting until 6m. But now? I just find it SO odd.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Some are late bloomers, esp if longhair. Some others have silent heats. Try to stroke her on backside where the tail begins, it will often provoke the reflexes if she is in heat....

If she cant sneak out, you do have some time on you for spaying. There is no immediate hurry. Be happy she isnt one of the oh so common drama queens!

There are stories of cat owners whom rushed to their vet with their dying cat, but the vet could soon enough recognize they were just in a normal heat...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sherrylynne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Perfect, thank you! And I have done that patting near the tail, and she doesn't respond any differently than when she was little. Good to know there is no rush, and she can mature a bit more before being fixed!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yep, there really is a range. I've seen kittens as young as 4 months go into heat. My Hekitty didn't go into heat until she was about 13 months. Of course, she made up for lost time in spades, but still..