Female Kitten Peeing on Roommate's Couch

whimsy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My little girl Schrödie  (5 months) has recently started peeing on my roommate's couch (my roommate who definitely wasn't enthusiastic about us adopting a cat to begin with). As this is my first cat, I'm wondering if this is typical behaviour? I understand that peeing outside the litter box can be a sign of a UTI but if she's kept in my room (and she's kept there every night while I'm asleep) she will pee in the litter box with no problem. She also hasn't been peeing anywhere else but she has revisited the couch at least three or four times now. The last time she urinated all the way across all three cushions and even got some up on one of the arms AND the back cushions. After using Nature's Miracle, I've tried spraying the couch with citrus scented spray to keep her away but the smell fades quite quickly and hasn't worked. 
 While I'm definitely taking her to see the vet ASAP, I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for eliminating this kind of behaviour? I've been keeping her locked up in my room with me unless I can be there to supervise her while she's roaming the house. I'm literally terrified she'll pee on the couch again but I know she's totally miserable spending so much time in the bedroom. Any advice would be appreciated! 

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am very glad you are taking her to the vets to rule out any medical reasons.

In the meantime, I would once again reapply the Nature's Miracle;  cat pee smell is very difficult to eliminate.  You can also try these ideas in this article http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-to-remove-cat-urine

It also sounds as though Schrodie isn't too happy being confined, which in and of itself can cause a cat to be stressed--and pee outside the litter box.

Here is another thread about this very subject:

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/9563/inappropriate-peeing-problems-answered

Does your roommate interact at all with Schodie?

Good luck and let us know what the vet says.