Female In Heat Trying To Mate With Spayed Female

Katie-Kat86

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my husband and I rescued a stray female kitten that we found outside, and we named her Precious. Due to me being disabled and unable to drive, and my husband's hectic work schedule, we haven't had the chance yet to get her vaccinated and spayed. Precious went into her first heat today, and the poor baby is following my 2.5 year old spayed female, Smokey, everywhere, desperately trying to get her to mate with her. Smokey has been pretty patient with her, but she's getting tired of Precious' unwanted attention. I've been taking care of (mostly female) cats for 25 years, both altered and unaltered, and have never seen this behavior in any of my unaltered females before. Is it common for an unaltered female to mistake a spayed female for a male?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While she is in heat it might be a good idea to keep her in a room, so escape will be more difficult. She is all hormones ATM. Or at least lock her in a room before your husband enters/leaves, or if you are both leaving so she can't rush the front door.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katie-Kat86

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We've been keeping her away from doors and she hasn't tried to escape, so that's good. We found a spay/neuter clinic that will vaccinate her before surgery, so as soon as her heat cycle is over, we'll be getting her spayed. Oddly enough, she hasn't been displaying "heat behavior" today. No presenting, no yowling, no over affectionate behaviors. Thanks for all the replies, I had just never seen this behavior before in my spayed/unspayed pairs :)