Female Cat with UTI but no vet until Monday - Apple Cider Vinegar?

MotherOfManyCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My fur baby (female, 4 years old, 5-6lbs, spayed) began to experience UTI symptoms last night more openly. I caught sight of her going to the litter box back to back and only getting out small amounts of urine. The vet has disabled emergency services and all other services until Monday and there are no other vets in the entire town (rural area, very small town). I will be calling the vet Monday for an emergency visit if they cannot see her right away.

She threw up once. She eats and drinks. No blood in urine. But I have heard about Apple Cider Vinegar helping with UTI's. Does anyone have any experience with that?

I hope this is in the right area. I'm worried sick for my baby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MotherOfManyCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My fur baby (female, 4 years old, 5-6lbs, spayed) began to experience UTI symptoms last night more openly. I caught sight of her going to the litter box back to back and only getting out small amounts of urine. The vet has disabled emergency services and all other services until Monday and there are no other vets in the entire town (rural area, very small town). I will be calling the vet Monday for an emergency visit if they cannot see her right away.

She threw up once. She eats and drinks. No blood in urine. But I have heard about Apple Cider Vinegar helping with UTI's. Does anyone have any experience with that?

I hope this is in the right area. I'm worried sick for my baby.
It started Friday night, I believe. Or at least she began to show me the symptoms then. And they won't be in until 4pm Monday (the vets)

gabicards

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope someone has any ideas on how to help your baby until Monday. :(

It's probably a good thing that she's eating and drinking, though.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I really don't know much about using apple cider vinegar, but I know some folks on this site use marshmallow root or corn silk, just for bladder support in general. Marshmallow root helps to coat the bladder's mucus membranes, soothe irritation and reduce inflammation while killing off harmful bacteria. Not a cure but might make her feel better. Corn silk is a natural diuretic that can help to flush the system, but it means your cat will need to drink plenty of water!

Actually, in any case, getting her to drink more water will be helpful.

MotherOfManyCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I really don't know much about using apple cider vinegar, but I know some folks on this site use marshmallow root or corn silk, just for bladder support in general. Marshmallow root helps to coat the bladder's mucus membranes, soothe irritation and reduce inflammation while killing off harmful bacteria. Not a cure but might make her feel better. Corn silk is a natural diuretic that can help to flush the system, but it means your cat will need to drink plenty of water!

Actually, in any case, getting her to drink more water will be helpful.
Hi! We sadly don't have either of those here. I wish we did. Our options are very limited in such a small place. I am going to get some wet food as well (a different kind, she doesn't like the one we have right now), and some low sodium chicken broth to add to lots of water to get her to drink more (she seems to love the smell of chicken broth but will need low sodium). She doesn't like wet food much, but I'm going to try and see if she's willing to have it to add more water intake. Thank you so much for your help!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am sorry that you are facing this without the ability to get help more quickly. As for apple cider vinegar, I have not ever done this but have heard that the dose is 1/2 teaspoon mixed in 1 teaspoon broth or water and mixed in the food. I do not assume that this would be harmful to a cat. However, ACV only works if the urine is too alkaline as it acidifies it. Also, as FeebysOwner FeebysOwner said, these alternative treatments, including D Mannose, will not cure anything. Even if your cat does seem to recover, take her to the vet regardless.

MotherOfManyCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am sorry that you are facing this without the ability to get help more quickly. As for apple cider vinegar, I have not ever done this but have heard that the dose is 1/2 teaspoon mixed in 1 teaspoon broth or water and mixed in the food. I do not assume that this would be harmful to a cat. However, ACV only works if the urine is too alkaline as it acidifies it. Also, as FeebysOwner FeebysOwner said, these alternative treatments, including D Mannose, will not cure anything. Even if your cat does seem to recover, take her to the vet regardless.
I really wish they were allowing emergencies at the very least. They are the only vet available in this town and with only one veterinarian it seems difficult. Absolutely, no matter what she will be going to the vet Monday, emergency service or regular service even if her symptoms let up so she can be treated ASAP. I would have taken her today or last night if they had the option. Thank you so so much, I truly appreciate it!