Female Cat Suddenly Aggressive

CrazyCatAntics

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Stormy is about 2 years old. Last year she escaped from the house and got pregnant, and we decided to keep all of the kittens (they were just too cute!). Before we could get her fixed, she escaped again and got pregnant AGAIN! Darn thing chewed through the screen in the window. When she started to act like she was going into labor soon, we separated her from the rest of the cats and kept her in the bathroom with a box, food, etc. She stayed in there for about a week until she gave birth. Unfortunately the kitten was stillborn. We got her spayed a few days later, which then we kept her in the bathroom for another week so she could heal.

Now to the aggression. When Stormy was separated the first time, we would let her out for little bits at a time so she could walk around and cuddle. She began to act very aggressive to the rest of the cats, especially to one in particular. Bearclaw, her son, is a soon-to-be-neutered male. He is not aggressive, though he is a little bigger than the rest of the cats (not by much though). Stormy would chase after Bearclaw as soon as he was in her sight, and they would get into a fight. Bearclaw would try to hide, and she would corner him and make it impossible for him to leave. Even after they would be separated and Stormy was sent back to the bathroom, Bearclaw wouldn’t come out of hiding for another hour or so. This cat is a lover, not a fighter.

After Stormy gave birth and was fixed, a cat would occasionally run into the bathroom. She was fine with Fifi, her daughter. Though Stormy would still be a little territorial about her crate that she was kept in for some time to keep her from jumping and opening up her incision (we would let her out multiple times a day, but she couldn’t be left unsupervised until she healed more.) Stormy was introduced to the rest of the cats and she was fine. Didn’t like the dog much though. However, she still targets poor Bearclaw! I have no idea what to do! Stormy can’t be kept in the bathroom forever, but Bearclaw doesn’t need to live in fear either. Any advice?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it'll help once he's neutered. I saw some of this behavior from a mother/son pair I had, and---this sounds silly, like anthropomorphizing---but I think she was sick of getting pregnant and was trying to chase him off so she wouldn't get pregnant again. She hasn't yet figured out that she's spayed, but I think she'll be able to tell that he's neutered once she smells that his hormone levels have dropped.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CrazyCatAntics

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She’s fine with his brothers though, and they are all set to get neutered at the same time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CrazyCatAntics

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe he's the "manliest", lol. I do think neutering will help, though she may always be a bit touchy with him.
Haha! I’m not sure if he is the manliest, but he is the fluffiest!