Female cat spayed on june 6th.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
That is very sad about her past and she is lucky to have you. All of my cats have been strays or ferals, so they are wary by nature. Having someone help you is a good idea as it is almost never a one person job to give medication to a cat who does not want to take it. Try to steel your nerves and keep in mind that you are helping her. This may not be the last time in her life that she needs medication. Some medications can be compounded into various forms, although this may not help you right now. Wedgewood Pharmacy is well known for doing this for pets.

Veterinary Pharmacy for Compounded Pet Medications

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The best way if it is a liquid is approach from the back and be fast and let her go immediately. You can’t make a big deal out of it. Just get it done super fast. Don’t plan ahead. Just do it and. E done with it. The less you think a about it the less she thinks about it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is very sad about her past and she is lucky to have you. All of my cats have been strays or ferals, so they are wary by nature. Having someone help you is a good idea as it is almost never a one person job to give medication to a cat who does not want to take it. Try to steel your nerves and keep in mind that you are helping her. This may not be the last time in her life that she needs medication. Some medications can be compounded into various forms, although this may not help you right now. Wedgewood Pharmacy is well known for doing this for pets.

Veterinary Pharmacy for Compounded Pet Medications
Since I had help with her liquid medicine it was easier. She seemed a little perturbed right after for about 30 mins but this is what she needs for now. So now that I have help with holding her everything should be OK.
Honestly I think I'm the lucky one to have her. When I walked into the shelter I saw a lot of cats and she just came up to me and kept wanting attention which the staff said she normally doesn't act like that.. I feel like she picked me somehow lol. I'm glad that you take in strays or ferals and I know how they can be standoffish not trusting of people. It's so heartening when I hear of people taking care of the often times over looked animals that need just as much love as the rest.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So another update on the oral liquid medication administration...
She was laying next to me sleeping and it was time to give her meds. So I got everything ready (her medicine syringe and a water syringe to follow it up trying to get the yucky taste out of her mouth) wake her up and just let her continue laying on her side, I didn't make her actually physically get up. I tilt her little head up and put it in the corner of her mouth towards the back and administer slowly and steady. She swallowed it all with absolutely no fight!!! YAY
The best part she doesn't seem mad like yesterday.
Got meds in with happy kitty in the end so if anyone reading this ever needs to try something this is an idea.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
That is great news! It is actually one of the techniques that some cat owners find successful...a semi groggy cat who is already relaxed. She had also had time to realize that there is nothing worse going on than taking the meds. Given her past, she probably did not know what to expect at first.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just happy she can stay calm and not have to feel stressed out. I definitely found what works best for my baby girl.
Downside is now she is getting diarrhea which I kind of expected because of the antibiotics so I'm going to talk to the vet about adding a probiotic

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for sharing. I'm calling her vet Monday first thing In the morning and am going to talk to her about adding this to her regimine.
Her water and food intake is normal. Im also keeping on an eye for any signs of dehydration. Best thing so far with everything that's been going on is how she is back to being her active little self since her spay, i know she was bored lol as i catified the house so she had to lay around and just relax and heal. I just didnt want her hurting herself.. Again thank you so much!!!

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Should I Give My Cat Probiotics? - TheCatSite
Let your vet know about the diarrhea which is more than likely from the antibiotics. The probiotic mentioned in the article is popular with member here.
She still has her cone on as there is a tiny little spot at the incision site that is still separated (it has started closing just not quite all the way yet, but getting close) and she is still trying to lick it, but at least she can play now. It's kind of hilarious watching her play with the cone on because of the way she sways her head. Sometimes she even sways her head side to side while she is just walking, I guess trying to see wider than what she can naturally see with the cone on.