Female cat spayed on june 6th.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please help my almost 2 year old cat (Gabby) was spayed on June 6th, on the 9th we had a house emergency almost had a fire. All the stress had her hiding and trying like heck to lick her incision site. She has an e collar on but the edge of the e collar scratches the very end of her incision and it is starting to open a little I'm worried about her and don't know what to do as the vet is closed as today is Saturday. Today I put a surgical suit on her along with her e collar and also taped some gauze on the outside of her suite to add some extra padded coushion (not directly on her) just incase she still tries to fold herself in half and lick the cone won't continue scraping it. It is 2 am on the 11th now.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're afraid that the incision is opening or having the stitches getting loose, I think that you should contact an emergency vet, ask them if you can send them some photos of the incision so that you don't have to take your cat in and add more stress.

Do you have some photos of the incision that we can have a look at?

Lime_Cat

Cat Enthusiast In His Twenties + CAT DAD
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear about Gabby's situation. It's important to take immediate action to prevent further complications. Here are some steps you can take until you can reach your veterinarian:

1. Monitor the incision: Keep a close eye on the incision site to assess its condition. If it's only a minor opening or a small area, you can try to manage it at home. However, if the wound appears to be gaping, bleeding excessively, or showing signs of infection (redness, swelling, discharge), it may require immediate veterinary attention.

2. Prevent licking: The e collar and surgical suit are good measures to prevent Gabby from licking the incision. Make sure the e collar is properly fitted to prevent her from reaching the wound. The added gauze for extra padding is a good idea to minimize irritation.

3. Minimize movement: Encourage Gabby to stay calm and minimize her activity to reduce the risk of further aggravating the wound. Provide her with a quiet and comfortable space where she can rest and recover.

4. Keep the area clean: If the incision site has opened slightly, you can gently clean the area with a sterile saline solution or warm water. Avoid using any harsh disinfectants or chemicals that could irritate the wound. Pat the area dry with a clean, soft cloth.

5. Prevent further injury: Ensure that Gabby is in a safe environment where she cannot injure herself or further open the incision. Remove any potential hazards or objects that she could get caught on.

6. Contact emergency veterinary services: If you are concerned about the severity of the incision or if Gabby shows signs of pain, distress, or infection, consider contacting an emergency veterinary clinic or animal hospital. They can provide guidance and advise on the next steps.

Remember, it's essential to follow up with your regular veterinarian as soon as they are available. They will be able to assess the incision site, provide appropriate treatment, and address any concerns you may have.

I hope Gabby recovers quickly and without complications.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear about Gabby's situation. It's important to take immediate action to prevent further complications. Here are some steps you can take until you can reach your veterinarian:

1. Monitor the incision: Keep a close eye on the incision site to assess its condition. If it's only a minor opening or a small area, you can try to manage it at home. However, if the wound appears to be gaping, bleeding excessively, or showing signs of infection (redness, swelling, discharge), it may require immediate veterinary attention.

2. Prevent licking: The e collar and surgical suit are good measures to prevent Gabby from licking the incision. Make sure the e collar is properly fitted to prevent her from reaching the wound. The added gauze for extra padding is a good idea to minimize irritation.

3. Minimize movement: Encourage Gabby to stay calm and minimize her activity to reduce the risk of further aggravating the wound. Provide her with a quiet and comfortable space where she can rest and recover.

4. Keep the area clean: If the incision site has opened slightly, you can gently clean the area with a sterile saline solution or warm water. Avoid using any harsh disinfectants or chemicals that could irritate the wound. Pat the area dry with a clean, soft cloth.

5. Prevent further injury: Ensure that Gabby is in a safe environment where she cannot injure herself or further open the incision. Remove any potential hazards or objects that she could get caught on.

6. Contact emergency veterinary services: If you are concerned about the severity of the incision or if Gabby shows signs of pain, distress, or infection, consider contacting an emergency veterinary clinic or animal hospital. They can provide guidance and advise on the next steps.

Remember, it's essential to follow up with your regular veterinarian as soon as they are available. They will be able to assess the incision site, provide appropriate treatment, and address any concerns you may have.

I hope Gabby recovers quickly and without complications.
Thank you for your advise I really appreciate it. Gabby is going to the vet tomorrow as I did call an emergency vet last night to see if I should bring her in and they told me to monitor her and if things changed or got worse then to give them a call.
I have been keeping a very close eye on her incision site and it looks the same as it has since it separated. It has not continued to separate any further.
Her little tummy is not red bruised inflamed nor hot to the touch. She does have the tiniest (and I mean tiniest) little discharge (no odor) that is kind of clear with a blood tinge to it. But it is not leaking or anything like that.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can also try to get a soft collar that just goes around the neck like a lifesaver and not cone-shaped.
Gabby is going to the vet tomorrow I have seen those collars and thought about getting her one so I will probably go ahead and order one for her. Thank you. The collar was the right size (I'm assuming being it came straight from the vet)
She literally folds herself in half and tries to lick her incision and it was the end of the cone that would scrape the edge.. which is why I went to the suit and added padding just incase she still tried with the suit on
Thank you for the advise super appreciate it. Gonna order one now.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're afraid that the incision is opening or having the stitches getting loose, I think that you should contact an emergency vet, ask them if you can send them some photos of the incision so that you don't have to take your cat in and add more stress.

Do you have some photos of the incision that we can have a look at?
I wanted to thank you for the concerns Gabby was just seen by her vet and he said it looks great but since I was worried he went ahead and gave her an antibiotics shot because she did have some links in on her incision site also got a longer e collar for her. She is healing great again thank you so much for your concerns.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your advise I really appreciate it. Gabby is going to the vet tomorrow as I did call an emergency vet last night to see if I should bring her in and they told me to monitor her and if things changed or got worse then to give them a call.
I have been keeping a very close eye on her incision site and it looks the same as it has since it separated. It has not continued to separate any further.
Her little tummy is not red bruised inflamed nor hot to the touch. She does have the tiniest (and I mean tiniest) little discharge (no odor) that is kind of clear with a blood tinge to it. But it is not leaking or anything like that.
I wanted to thank you for the concerns Gabby was just seen by her vet and he said it looks great but since I was worried he went ahead and gave her an antibiotics shot because she did have some links in on her incision site also got a longer e collar for her. She is healing great again thank you so much for your concerns.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. If you can take a pic that would be great. But if she is suited up and seems comfortable. Just leave her for now.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. If you can take a pic that would be great. But if she is suited up and seems comfortable. Just leave her for now.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gabby is going to the vet tomorrow I have seen those collars and thought about getting her one so I will probably go ahead and order one for her. Thank you. The collar was the right size (I'm assuming being it came straight from the vet)
She literally folds herself in half and tries to lick her incision and it was the end of the cone that would scrape the edge.. which is why I went to the suit and added padding just incase she still tried with the suit on
Thank you for the advise super appreciate it. Gonna order one now.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much she is my baby and I was worried for nothing apparently (better safe than sorry, especially since she is like my child) but longer e collar definitely helps so much it doesn't scrape the end of her incision site at all. I'm one happy cat momma for sure, just feel bad she has to go through this at all even though it is in her best interest.
Again thank you!!! 😊 😃

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ssooooo... we are 9 days post surgery and I have been checking Gabbys incision site regularly and decided to take her back to the vet again. She had her appointment with her Dr today and he cleaned the area around her incision (it needed cleaned due to discharge) and checked the healing process. When the nurse brought her back out to me she said the incision site still looks a tiny bit pissed off so the dr decided to give her oral liquid antibiotics. None of her internal sutures have come undone (she only has internal sutures, no external sutures were used) she still has slight separating on the edge accompanied with a little discharge still, which is why I decided to take her back in. Anyway, does anyone have any ideas on how to get her to take her medicine??? She hates it and keeps spitting most out when I give it to her with the syringe. Please any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you from Gabby and me.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have tried holding her but with her having a cone on and me not wanting her to hurt herself or rip open her incision site makes it hard. She doesn't like any type of treat or canned food so I literally have no clue what to do. I tried to mix it with a little tuna water but she knew something was up with it. Just dont know how to get it in her. 😒😒😒

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
There is a treat product called Hartz Delectables. They come in various formulations and it is possible to by individual sachets rather than investing in an entire box. It is very appealing to cats and it might disguise the medication. Some medications taste very bitter to a cat. Does she take medication in pill form, or you are not sure?

How Can I Give A Pill To My Cat - TheCatSite
The article covers pills, which is one alternative, but also talks about syringes as you continue to read.

Please help I’m struggling to give my cat medication

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She likes chicken breast so with pills I take a piece of chicken and put the pill inside a little piece of her chicken she takes pills great. Her pain meds were pill form. She had an antibiotic shot on Monday and now needs this oral antibiotic that they only have in liquid form.. I'll get some of the Hartz delectables. I don't mind trying anything for my baby girl

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a friend coming to help me kind of hold her steady from behind so I can try to do it infront of her the way ive seen in videos and just see how it goes. I just hate making her stress at all. I adopted her almost a year ago from the local animal shelter and she was abused by previous owners and still to this day i have to walk slowly by her if i have shoes on... as im almost certain she was kicked frequently by someone wearing shoes. If anyone walks by her wearing shoes she watches every move the person makes and runs away and hides... if you're in socks she is still a little unsure but better. She is just so loving and just the sweetest girl I want the best for her and will do what I can to get her meds in her with the least amount of stress on her. I really appreciate all the advice from the bottom of my heart. It really means a lot.
Again thank you so much!!!