Female cat scared of everything

revenwyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Carly, our almost two year old cat is scared of everything, has almost always had severe separation anxiety, makes distressing calls during the day, looking at things that don't seem to be there, etc.She was found abandoned (no mother showed up in three days; we fed her as we watched) as a month old kitten, and we have raised her ever since. I think a lot of her problems do come from this early abandonment, we've tried Feliway, catnip spray, Rescue Remedy, nothing has worked.

We live in an apartment complex (and no, we can't afford to move) and she hears noises outside and within other apartments and it freaks her out. We thought letting her get up in the front window to see what was going on would help, but that was probably the worst thing we could have done.

There is a cat that is fed by people in the complex, and she comes up and just taunts the heck out of our cats. We forgot to put the blinds down when going to bed one night, and we wake up at about 5 AM to a cat fight between Carly and our 3 year old female, Binky, who was her surrogate mother. Earlier that day had been a little stressful to Carly; a friend dropped some things off at our apartment to store for him until he can get his own place again, and she had been hiding under the bathroom closet for the rest of the day. But as my husband was trying to distract the cat fight he noticed the outdoor cat on our air conditioning unit, so we think that must have been redirected aggression

Things seemed to go along fine for the next couple of weeks, the cat fight seemed forgiven and forgotten, though they were not as affectionate with each other as they had been. Then we again forgot to close the blinds one night, woke up to a cat fight again, saw the outdoor cat slinking off, but this time the fighting did not subside.

I will say that we went on a cleaning fit the previous day because of apartment inspections and pest control, etc. The vacuum monster was on and off frequently that day, and we know it stressed her out. Then the day of this fight the pest control lady came in. Binky had no reaction, and Carly was closed in my husband's room. They did not spray her room.

Carly is more my husband's cat, but I decided I would check on her in his bedroom (we sleep apart), then I went to comfort my poor, bewildered Binky, who likes to cuddle on my bed. Well, in comes Carly, who hisses at her, and the fight is immediately back on. Then Carly comes up onto my bed and hides behind my head. Then Binky comes to try to get even the foot of my bed available to her, and Carly fights her off. We decided to separate the two of them, and Carly was shut into my husband's room, along with food, water and a litter box. This was two days ago. They'll pick at their food but not eat much, they have used their separate boxes though. We're going to get them tuna to see if we can coax them to eat; they ignored the canned food we put out for them, and they usually gobble that right up. 

Well, I go to check on Carly the first night, and Binky, looking upset and distraught, slipped between my legs. She appeared concerned for Carly, did not look like she wanted a fight, but Carly hissed at her straight away and the fight was back on. Yesterday we kept them separated all day, letting Carly out into our living room when she felt comfortable enough to leave her cave. But Binky is starting to feel resentful about getting shut in my bedroom at times. Today she sounded like a mother cat calling for a kitten she can't find. When it's Binky's turn in the living room she just sits motionless by Carly's door. It's Carly who seems to be the aggressor, and I think it's because something has seriously spooked her. Carly twitches frequently in her sleep. She is obviously stressed out, and we need to find out what is going on.

Here's some basics:

1. Both are spayed, neither declawed.

2. We can't afford a fully canned diet for them, so they get a can of food to split every other day and otherwise get kibble.

3. Carly turns two in about three months, she appears to have just stopped growing, and now is about the same size and weight as Binky. Perhaps a bit of redirected aggression and power play?

4. They were never best friends, but they got along peaceably enough until recently. The only aggression I'd seen between them was a short bop on the nose during play, then they would just leave each other alone. But there were also times where they would cuddle and groom each other.

Here is our living situation:

1. Our main room is a combination living room/kitchen. There is a wall and a few doors that separate this from the rest of the apartment, which is two bedrooms and a closet. We have no hallways. Our only other closeable room is the bathroom.

2. We live on $720 a month and don't have a ton of money for this improvement, that improvement, whatever.

3. We have limited ability to create vertical space because we are not allowed to put up shelves in our apartment, and a suitable cat tree would be far more than we can afford. We have no ability to modify our apartment in any way, so anything to help with reintroduction must be something that will make no marks and be temporary.

4. We have been given some money from my grandfather to get Carly checked out at the vet (about $200.) We think she might need Prozac. I am sure if we don't use all the money on the vet visit it can be used for other cat necessities.

Right now we have $86 available on Walmart credit, we have no other cards, and no money in the bank. Part of this needs to be used for litter. We will be getting some cardboard scratchers temporarily and a few toys, though neither have been interested in playing.

Anyway, does anyone have any reintroduction techniques for when there is limited space? Any luck with Prozac?

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, it sounds like this has been a stressful period!  I live in a small apartment where separations would  be difficult too and it is something I am thinking seriously about before a possible trial with a second cat.  Definitely not easy, especially when you have the limitations on fixing anything in place or creating more high level spaces.

It is important to have Carly checked out health-wise in case there is anything underlying her change in behaviour but it could simply be this other cat having stirred something up or the shift in balance between your girls with Carly reaching maturity.   I haven't had to do this but -  I would try to continue separation if you can, perhaps with Carly in a bedroom and try the scent swapping and starting to bring food closer to the adjoining door between them before recommencing supervised introductions.  It can take several weeks but worth persevering with.  As Carly seems anxious the smaller space may help her to feel safe at this point as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

revenwyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Carly is wanting to get out of her room whenever possible. She saw Binky in passing today. There was no hissing, Binky didn't go toward her or anything, there was just a scared little meow from Carly, who then darted back into her room. She is grazing on kibble and ate a quarter of a can of food today. It is still not much but at least she is eating. Later, when we put Binky in my room we let Carly out into the living room. She sniffed around and eventually rolled onto her back and showed her belly.

Meanwhile, Binky ate a couple of bites of canned, is avoiding kibble and not really even drinkig water. The separation has her depressed though we try to pay attention to both of them equally. All she has done today is camp out in front of Carly's door and call out to her, long, plaintive calls that sound like she is really missing her.

I just had a late night breakfast; Binky stole some of my scrambled eggs (I had eaten most of them) soI just gave her what I had left... I am pretty much going to give her whatever she wants to eat that isn't toxic just so she will eat something. She has run of the living room tonight. I am semi-nocturnal and usually sleep until about 1 PM... my husband gets up at about 10 so he will shut Binky in with me then for her usual early morning cuddle and let Carly out... the living room is our current scent swap room.

Anyway... just to make things clear... the only new behavior that Carly has is the fight/flight response toward Binky... ever since she was half grown she has been a sensitive, anxious soul, and the vet found othing wrong in bloodwork then.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is this with Feliway. Did you used spray or an adapter?  If adapter, how long had you on?  Sometimes it begins to makes good firstly after a couple of weeks.

Calming relaxing music is another tip.  Classical harp music is best. Also Bach, Some Mozart.   But most should do.

revenwyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I already said that we have tried Feliway It was a very expensive solution that did not help at all. We ran the diffuser for two months. There was no change in calm, happy Binky and no change at al in skittish, talking to things that aren't there Carly.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i know money is tight...but try to invest in some calming treats for the cats. there are composure treats and calming treats. see in amazon. you can also buy them at petsmart or petco. i've found some for cheaper at luckyvitamin.com

calming treats, when ingested will give longer lasting results. give them to both your girls. it was a good investment for my former stray girl, who was also abandoned by momma at a very early age. I've had her for about 4 months now. and although i can say that she's a lot better than she was before, she's still a very skittish kitty. I have never tried feliway, as its too pricey for me to try and have it not work. i've bought some calming sprays from petsmart, by whisker city and nature's miracle. they've worked well for me along with the calming treats.

the tricky part with the calming spray is that maybe your cats will like it, maybe they wont. my one cat, the one the calming spray was not even intended for, LOVES the stuff. i will spray it on their toys and bedding and he will rub on it. the one that it was intended for, she avoids it like the plague. so i will spray some on her brush and brush her with it, so she's forced to come in contact with it, and it helps her calm down

I have found some really affordable cat trees on amazon, so you can try and look there. i bought a 3 tiered cat tree/house on amazon for around 60 dollars, compared to the 110 dollars at petsmart for similar cat trees. if cat trees are just not an option for you at the moment, then keep some cardboard boxes around, with your worn clothing in there. both your girls will love hiding in them, and your scent will make them feel safe.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
If you feel they are both depressed by this seperation perhaps you want to try supervised shared space again, maybe with some equalizing scent for both of them (such as vanilla touched on to each cat) as I have read this sometimes helps.  Try to do this at a time when the surrounding of the apartment are likely to be quiet and this neighbouring cat will not be around.

revenwyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OK so landlord does not want us using diffusers or any plug in type of products because they can apparently catch on fire. I have to find something else. The Feliway spray is out of sight expensive for how little you get. Rescue Remedy didn't seem helpful (I have found homeopathy rarely is), any other suggestions? I have read chamomile extract or chamomile tea might work (six drops of extract in food, or half a teaspoon of tea.) I don't know if it will work or not, but it might be a fairly easy and cheap help considering we drink it. Any ideas? The vet just said buy a cat tree and use Feliway spray.

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, that is one determined landlord you have there!  I know there's a risk but there's the same risk with any charging equipment like a mobile phone, or items that use transformers! Do they bar their use as well?  I am sorry your landlord is so uncompromising.

I haven't used any natural stress remedies with my cats over the years and Bach is the only type I am familiar with so unsure what else to suggest.  You could try to re-start supervised contact as I suggested earlier, but I do take on board what you say about the effect the separation seems to be having on them both and know I would stuggle with doing it here in my apartment  too.

I have copied some articles links for you here which look in to stress for cats, including one that talks through some of the medications that vets may prescribe if you decide you need this type of assistance to bring your two back together at least for a while.  I really do hope you find something hepful as this must be so stressfull to live with.  I hope others have more ideas for you. 

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/six-surefire-strategies-to-reduce-stress-in-cats
http://www.thecatsite.com/a/is-your-cat-stressed-out
http://www.thecatsite.com/a/anti-anxiety-medication-for-cats

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry I missed the mentoon of feliway trying a shared space and eqaulizung scent like vanilla as mservant suggested may well work you could also rub them both down with a clean towel (different one for each cat) and then rub them down again with the towel that has the others scent on so they both smell like a mix of each other. I've hard of people using the spirit essence drops that Jackson Galaxy uses on his show never tried them myself and they are rather expensive but if Carly is always quite the anxious type it may worth be investing in! From what I have seen of people using them they can be rubbed into the fur or a few drops put in the food! I assume they are tasteless and odorless but not having used them myself I don't know for sure! I have copied the think to the ones for cats down below I hope this could be a vaiable option for you as it must be horrid for both girls being apart when they were so close! If Carly's behavior persists though it may be worth reintroducing the two girl to each other as if they have never met before in their lives.

http://store.jacksongalaxy.com/Spirit-Essences-for-Cats-s/1816.htm

revenwyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OK so update.

Carly was out patrolling the living room today and sniffing at the door where we put Binky. She moved away and started walking around, so I opened the door just a crack, enough to allow the two cats to see each other. Carly quickly hid behind the coffee table, but still peered through the cap between the shelf and table, and Binky made some distressed sounding calls toward her and started pawing through the door. Carly then went back into her safe room and back into her cave. We shut the door on both of them and then my husband went to check on Carly. She didn't stay in the cave for long.

So there was no hissing between the cats today, only that call from Binky. Binky's language was the pawing, her tail was down but her ears were picked up. Carly's ears were somewhat back and her tail was twitching. I don't know why but she seems to be afraid of Binky. At least there was no hissing.

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sh's probably been soppoked by the cat that caused the rediredted aggression and is thus transfering this fear to Binky! I think Binky understands she is affraid of her to thus the soft calls tail down and ears picked up your binky is trying to be as non threatening as she can but something is clouding Carly's judgement.

revenwyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Carly tenatively explored the living room again last night, but her gaze kept on stopping on the door to outside of the apartment. She has never been out there at all since we moved here almost a year ago. It seems like she thinks there is something scary coming from the doorway. Any tips on how to make the doorway relaxing, without using something that would make her scratch it up?

We were given $200 to help her; we're going to try Feliway again and just hide the diffuser if the landlord shows up, but also use Rescue Remedy at the same time, and we have ordered a cat tree. It's what the vet recommended.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Does Carly ever stay in the area of the door when you open it to go in or out?  Does she watch you coming in and out of it?  Or does she stay away from the door when ever possible and run away when it is in use?  Does Binky go in and out of this door?

It can help a lot if you can gradually take away some of the unknown, so your cat knows where the door goes and what is on the other side of it on a regular basis that might make noises of bring a change in smell.  If they feel safe with you around some of the fear can subside and get to the point where they can look at that unknown and scary place and then learn about it.  You have to be careful and take it at your cat's speed though, and make sure the area you are showing the cat is going to be quiet and controlled while you work through the early phases.

I'm lucky because my boy trusts me and he is pretty fearless in his own territory  - but if he senses something he doesn't know outside his zone you can see him on guard, wanting to know what it is.  He was encouraged to know what was on the other side of the apartment door as soon as I adopted him so he wasn't frightened when the door was open.  If everything was quiet out there we would go out a very little way together ( Mouse on a harness he is OK walking on inside the apartment) and the door always open for him to dart back in if he wanted to: usually when there was a noise.  

Having got him used to doing this I listen and watch out for noises that are troubling him and he looks more tense about guarding his home (he sits in front of the door and looks directly at it).  I join him to listen at the door and talk calmly with him - then open the door slowly, at which point he usually backs off round a corner which is near to the doorway.  He will look round the corner and eventually comes toward me again and I will hold him while we check out the noise together.  

What helps him is to be with me at the door to see what is on the other side of it.   The main offenders for Mouse have been the person who cleans the communal area and the noise they make when they are doing this plus the strange smells from the cleaning product used on the floor, and the baby that 'suddenly arrived': she cried and squealed loudly in the communal area from day one (likes the sound of her own voice 
 ).  Once he eventually braved it and saw how little the creator of the loud cries and sqeals was it was pretty funny if I'm honest because she wasn't much bigger than him at the time! Once he met the squealer he was no longer worried by her noise.  They greet each other nose to nose these days.  The stair cleaner is still worrying but Mouse knows what the noise is and he just makes sure the person doesn't come in uninvited- but is fine if the person comes to the door later and I open the door and we chat away together.  I think it would be different if I opened the door and there was a big scary cat there that wanted to come in to Mouse's house and fight him for his cat tree though.  

I have no doubt that doing something similar to this once something  has triggered redirected aggression would be much harder, but it is something to think about at some stage: on a scale Carly might cope with.  It may be as basic as tollerating being in the room and calm when someone opens the door, or comes in the door.

If the door bothers her more at night - one thing I used to have at my main door was a curtain I could draw across on the inside.  Something that screened her from the door and might also act as a slight sound buffer to anything on the other side of it just like curtains at a window.

Just thoughts.  I know my situation has been very different to yours and not had to live with a cat who has redirected aggression in this way.

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Could carly may be worried this cat thats been hanging aboit ths window is going to come through the door. I think the anxieyy or scaredy cat spirit essences drops could do some good here ive heard good things about them though never had to try them as my girls pretty laid back even with 4 dogs in our block of apartments she just gets skitish qhen someone else cleans the hall as it will smell different

revenwyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, so here is the deal. Our door leads directly outside the apartment to the outdoor air. Secondly, we're on the second floor and there's a metal walkway and stairs leading to the bottom. We unfortunately are right in the middle of the complex, and right by the stairs, and people CLANG CLANG CLANG up and down the stairs at all hours of the day and night.

She used to sit near the door, or watch from the window, to see if we were coming home. The door didn't use to be scary to her. But, we're the good neighbors in a kinda shady area, and recently there's been some weird mystery with one guy at the end leaving his pregnant girlfriend (only they told us they were married but the good neighbors here said they never were) and suddenly bringing in a new girl and her cat and dog (neither of which they were supposed to have; she was passing a chihuahua off as a seizure dog.) We don't hear the dog, and she dumped the cat outside, where she is fighting with the resident cat to claim this territory.

When we moved here there was an outdoor cat that everyone fed and some people brought in during inclement weather. That cat disappeared for about of month and came back reeking of cigarette smoke, much fatter than when she had left.

At any rate, back to the community... since the new girl showed up we have had people coming in the parking lot at 3 AM and staying for MAYBE 15 minutes. We have no proof that she is a drug dealer though, so I don't know whether to call the landlord or not. Chances are that the landlord doesn't even know someone new showed up; he pulled this stunt before.

So I think it's been all these changes that have spooked Carly out. I think we have made some progress. Binky talks to Carly through her door, and Carly doesn't hiss or move away or anything. Yesterday we put Binky in her bedroom so that Carly could have some time in the living room, and Carly started talking to Binky through the door. When opening the door a crack, however, Carly still backs away, so I don't know. Maybe they are reassuring each other that they are still there?

Rescue Remedy is coming Monday, Feliway on Tuesday, the cat tree hasn't been shipped yet.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I get your location type as although the door from my apartment doesn't go directly outside it goes to a very echoey, loud, hard surfaced stairwell and everything echoes.  People clatter up and down, bang railings and doors and they go, shout and scream and are anti social at all hours.  Smoking, drinking and so forth, and parties going on.  Apartment living can be 'great fun' (not).  Mouse tolerates it incredibly well and I know I am lucky beyond belief:  This week he is 'supervising' builders that are coming and going past all the apartment windows and banging and drilling as they go!  This is not regular given that I too am on an upper level.

If all these changes have happened recently and your two cats have had to get to know lots of new noises and smells, and perhaps some other cats in the neighbourhood including potential pregnant female and entire male, there is no surprise the door could have become scary.  It sounds as if there is a little progress between them, and if they continue to redevelop their trust and Binky can persuade Carly that things are safe again after what ever happened to trigger the aggressive episode I hope things get back to normal with a little calming remedy help.    If you can put a heavy curtain on the inside of the door it can work pretty well for cutting down noise a bit, and contains drafts that carry smell through your apartment too.  Mine was only on a normal piece of swiffer life track just above the door, and the curtain was an old tablecloth made of heavy duty damask like fabric which didn't cost much second hand.   I'll send you a PM about a couple of other things I've done that might help too.

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All these changes would definitely spook most cats our Lilly is very laid back the only think I have known to be an upset to her is the new puppy across the landing who when still not quite house trained kept peeing in the hall way and is quite the yapper. Hopefully you find a way to desensitize her to the noise. Perhaps you could put a portable radio near the scary door with some classical music or talk radio show on so she has something to listen to and associate with the door that's pleasant.