Female cat obsessively licks ONLY my husbands hands while he pets her. How to stop it?

ladyhavoc24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello we have an 11 month old neutered female who when I say obsessively I mean every single time without fault she will grab my husbands hand with her paws to lick his hands every single time he pets her, she will bend and contort however possible to reach his hand to lick it, but she only does this to him and no one else. He thinks its cute the first few licks, but she will NOT stop and it's  irritating to him and I'm wondering how to make her stop doing that every time he tries to pet her. Please anyone with suggestions. Thank you!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think you can approach this similarly to how you'd approach a cat who is waking you at night.  When she starts to lick his hand; he can stop petting her.  Even get up and go somewhere else.  If he is consistent; she should eventually see that she doesn't get pet if she licks.  

He could also try to redirect her to a toy.

gareth

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
a mild chili sauce worked for me.

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Glad to see I wasn't the only one with a licky licky cat! I have had cats my whole life, worked at a shelter & have never encountered a licky lick until I got my little girl about 3 years ago. Even if you stop petting her she will lick anything that she sees, mainly your legs. I think it's very annoying & didn't think there was a way to stop it. She always has to be licking something, if there's no human around, she'll lick another cat, plastic bags, under the kitchen cupboards, the walls, my shoes, I've even seen her lick the carpet.