Female cat defecating outside of litter box.

mfhult

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello.

We have a female cat, approximately 12-14 years old, weighing about 5-6 pounds. She uses the litter box for both urine and feces, but has also started defecating (but never urinating) outside of the box...in a couple different paces in the house. These are not solid movements. She is eating and drinking as usual, bright-eyed, alert, and playful. There are two male cats in the house that she is not fond of and we thought that this was being done in an effort to avoid them, but it is now happening more frequently...even when the two of them are sleeping in other rooms. The other new thing that is accompanying this behavior is that she often throws up right before or after defecating on the rug. Generally it is just a bit of liquid. Bile?

All of her other behavior is essentially the same as it has always been. Maybe she feels like she cannot make it to the box in time? 

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thank-you,

Maureen

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would get her to the vet to have a senior blood panel done.  Also, it wouldn't surprise me that some of this is caused by stress.  You can try plugging in a few Feliway diffusers and see if that helps settle some of the stress.  You could also add another litter box.  Is the feces soft and smelly?  I had a cat with what my vet determined was stress induced fecal incontinence and her stools were always softer and smelly.