Felv Elisa Test Positive Now Ifa Test Negative. What To Do?

siami

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
30 days ago Charlie had a faint positive result on the vet's in-house ELISA test and on Tuesday the vet took some more blood while Charlie was being castrated and sent it off to a lab for the IFA test. This came back negative. After whooping for joy, I researched some more and found it was a bit early to celebrate as the second result could be a false negative. I can't let Charlie mix with my other cats until I am as near 100% sure as it's possible to be.

If I've understood correctly and the ELISA test shows the virus in the blood and the IFA test shows the virus in the bone marrow, should I have the ELISA test re-done now to hopefully confirm Charlie is clear?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

siami

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just to add that it's no use asking my vet's advice as she seems to know less about FELV than I do. Very disappointing.

keeneland

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just to add that it's no use asking my vet's advice as she seems to know less about FELV than I do. Very disappointing.
I have no information about these tests but before I would consider putting the cat through another test I think I would try to find a vet that you trust their opinion. I have a cat that may or may not have the same issue with FIV. Consider calling your local humane society and getting some names of vets they use for their testing. From what I read I am not going to end my cats life even if it tested positive but have did a TNR and provide food & shelter. I do not want it to pass on the FIV to an offspring. From info I gather a fairly high % of feral's in TNR will test positive but can live fairly normal lives. One lady told me she had a positive cat for FeLV that lived to be 15 years old and had what is normally considered a good life as an indoor cat.

siami

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for responding. I am in France and humane societies are unheard of. I have no intention of doing anything other than give Charlie the best life he can have, whether he turns out FELV+ or - . I just don't want to put my other cats at risk and Charlie's life would be a lot richer if he wasn't isolated. From what I've read, this would be easier to handle if it was FIV as that can't be passed on via water/feeding bowls and mutual grooming. I hope we both have a good outcome.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
False positives are fairly common with the in-house ELISA tests. Since they're not too expensive, yeah, have the vet run another one. I would be inclined to believe the IFA test but it would be nice to get the ELISA test to agree with it ;).

PoppyCA

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been researching FELV recently because I'm considering adopting an FELV+ cat. In speaking to a vet, if the kitty has had 2 positive ELISA tests, he is definitely FELV+, meaning he has the virus and can infect other kitties. My understanding is that a positive IFA test will show if the virus has progressed to his white blood cells. You can also have his bone marrow checked. I think most vets feel that once they have a positive ELISA or IFA, other tests are overkill. At that point you provide the best care (keep kitty inside, great diet, bi-annual check-ups) and treat associated ailments as they arise. Definitely talk to another vet. Call your local shelter or rescue and speak to their attending vets. Good luck.

siami

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for replying. In fact, once I collected the test result from the vet's - up until then it was just a phone call - I saw that the lab test wasn't an IFA but a different type of screening test. So, the first was the Witness test carried out by the vet, and the second was the Snap test carried out by the lab. After a lot of searching on the net, I found that the Witness test was one of the least reliable often giving false positives and the Snap test was the most reliable. I just wish I'd asked for the first blood sample to be sent out to the lab for a Snap test as I would've accepted the negative result without question and avoided a lot of worry. Now I'm alternating between 99% relief and 1% a niggling worry of 'what if the first one was actually right?'

It would be a very kind act for you to adopt a FELV+ cat. I suppose it must be a cat you've fallen in love with. I wish you and puss well.